12-17-2017, 10:40 PM
User Info
I just got my soap this afternoon. I must say I am too lucky location wise to be so close to all the SoCal shaving goodness. That is to say I got the soap super quick!

Anyways, I hope not to shoot myself in the foot or to come across like a shill. Big disclaimer, I really the SV brand so I have high hopes for this soap. I think it very well could be the best SV soap has made yet as my skin loves mango butter and the latest installments of beta 4.3 soaps have been very impressive.

I will post my thoughts very soon after a nice head shave.

83 1,585
 12-17-2017, 10:45 PM
User Info
We'll look forward to your thoughts.  The 2015 release of this soap, which was formula 4.0, received excellent reviews.  The new 4.3 formula may be even better.

53 8,119
 12-18-2017, 04:10 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
This soap is likely to be amazing, which is why I think I'm going to pass. I got some of the original, and fell in love with it. Once it was used up, the soap was selling for $95 on the secondary market.

I know that the whole limited edition idea of soaps makes them sell better, but I'm a creature of habit. I like to find something that works for me and stick with it. I'm definitely curious to see what people think of this new version, but I'll keep my distance, so as to not get attached to something so fleeting. Smile

22 857
 12-18-2017, 07:03 AM
User Info
(12-18-2017, 04:10 AM)chamm Wrote: This soap is likely to be amazing, which is why I think I'm going to pass. I got some of the original, and fell in love with it. Once it was used up, the soap was selling for $95 on the secondary market.

I know that the whole limited edition idea of soaps makes them sell better, but I'm a creature of habit. I like to find something that works for me and stick with it. I'm definitely curious to see what people think of this new version, but I'll keep my distance, so as to not get attached to something so fleeting. Smile

Craig, I would consider buying several jars.  It's triple milled, so it will last a long time.

53 8,119
 12-18-2017, 09:25 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(12-17-2017, 10:40 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I just got my soap this afternoon. I must say I am too lucky location wise to be so close to all the SoCal shaving goodness. That is to say I got the soap super quick!

Anyways, I hope not to shoot myself in the foot or to come across like a shill. Big disclaimer, I really the SV brand so I have high hopes for this soap. I think it very well could be the best SV soap has made yet as my skin loves mango butter and the latest installments of beta 4.3 soaps have been very impressive.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.  Can you also compare this b4.3 to the original b4.0 formula?  I loved the scent of the flying mango but the b4.0 formula post-shave really did not work for me (dried my face).

48 2,056
 12-18-2017, 11:31 AM
User Info
(12-18-2017, 09:25 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote:
(12-17-2017, 10:40 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I just got my soap this afternoon. I must say I am too lucky location wise to be so close to all the SoCal shaving goodness. That is to say I got the soap super quick!

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.  Can you also compare this b4.3 to the original b4.0 formula?  I loved the scent of the flying mango but the b4.0 formula post-shave really did not work for me (dried my face).

As far as what has improved post shave feel compared to Felce Aromatica 4.0, my first recommendation would be Manna di Sicilia 4.3 or even 4.0 if you can find that. They both hold water well in the lather and have better density or cushion. I also really enjoy Cosmo for a winter shave if I am needing more dense and protective lather, I go for Cosmo. 

How often do you shave and how much beard growth are you working with? I tend to like the thickest lathers from SV. But I can still appreciate for a variety of times and reasons  use some of the less thick lathers in comparison such as the Tundra Artica, Colonia, 70th.

Luckily the more I use each puck, the more I am comfortable with it but this week I will be switching between Mirto di Sardega for face shaves and use Flying Mango for both head and face shaves. I am guessing Mirto is going to be closest to Felce Aromatica 4.3.

83 1,585
 12-19-2017, 12:43 PM
User Info
How y'all can get through multiple tins of these triple milled soaps is beyond me... I know my rotation isn't nearly as vast as some of yours and I can barely dent mine!

8 130
 12-19-2017, 12:56 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
SV Flying Mango is one crazy good soap.

Let me get on with this narrative. I have a ridiculous amount of soaps that I've purchased though out my many years, in-which there are soaps that I've liked that I've re-placed with new soaps (the evolution and growth of wet shaving). I don't have one particular favorite soap maker even though I gravitate to about 8 though my rotation consists of about 25 soap makers. I also favor tallow though I do have some vegan. 

SV is my top vegan and in my top soaps overall, Cosmo, 70th, Aromatic Fern 4.3, Asylum Colonia and now Flying Mango 4.3. In writing this review I am not comparing this soap to any other soap, we all have our favorites. I judge soaps on the qualities that I like in a soap which also includes that physiological wow factor (what ever that is) that's when my eye's looks over the soaps and my hand may involuntarily reaches for one of those wow soaps. 

I shave daily but I've been fighting a cold these last days so I took a break and in doing so I now have a 2 day growth. The cold has not stopped me from going to the office though I've moved my business meeting over to today. 

This morning I began my 45 minute shave with SV Flying Mang, a Paladin, Asylum Brass MT with a Polsilver. I never skimp on lathering I always load for 5 pass's and plenty of clean-up, my beard is thick some what like the Youtube Nick Shaves beard except mine is like the old man and the sea, steely gray and white. Lastly I don't throw around the term BBS, it's meaning is precise to me since I spend time each morning working for a shave that gets as close to a BBS as possible (which is never a 2 pass).

Ok now onto the Flying Mango. 

WOW!!! Flying Mango is one crazy good soap, there is something in this soap that is better then Fern 4.3. Phil said that they put in a extra Mango, maybe that's it, maybe that's the wow factor. Yes it has a nice scent that's not over powering (my preference), creates an excellent lather, great protection, slickness and moisturizing, I'm a happy camper. But I found it's wow factor for me is when I've shaved over an area and want to do some clean up, I don't have to re-lather, all I need to do is wet that area with water from my fingers and the soaps glide, slickness comes alive, this is where this soap blossoms. My conclusion is I ike this soap.

54 653
 12-19-2017, 01:35 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Well, my original question was to compare apples to apples.  Or in this case formulas (4.0 to 4.3).
Like I said earlier, my skin does not like the 4.0 formula (post shave drying).  Does 4.3 fix that problem or not?
I had the first batch of flying mango (4.0) and sold it even though I loved the scent (because of the dry skin problem).
I don't want to buy the new soap unless they made significant improvements.

48 2,056
 12-19-2017, 02:05 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(12-19-2017, 01:35 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Well, my original question was to compare apples to apples.  Or in this case formulas (4.0 to 4.3).
Like I said earlier, my skin does not like the 4.0 formula (post shave drying).  Does 4.3 fix that problem or not?
I had the first batch of flying mango (4.0) and sold it even though I loved the scent (because of the dry skin problem).
My answer would be yes, like you I don,t like soaps that leave my face dry, tight I need moisturizing. So for me this soap has lovely post shave moisturizing qualities.

54 653
 12-19-2017, 04:23 PM
User Info
(12-19-2017, 01:35 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Well, my original question was to compare apples to apples.  Or in this case formulas (4.0 to 4.3).

Maybe you should wait for a few other reviews to field your answer. Please take mine with a grain of salt. I have what I call acne and nick prone (while shaving) skin that tends to be dry in my environment generally. I can get flakey skin on certain parts of my face and oiler in other spots of my face.

The lathers that have carried the most moisture to my shave would be prior to 4.3. I do think it is a different formulation of more filming agents and composition of fats and oils to form and mount the face in lather faster than 4.0. I needed a lot of water for all 4.0 soaps to reach my desired consistency. Fence Aromatica took water to break in the puck and develop achievable lather on my third use. Dolomiti worked similarly but responded with my skin much more positively (craved more water)and Manna di Sicilia (even more water). 

4.3 I believe is going away from the density and compactness of in shave lather. These formulas assemble layers of product well on a wet brush and then touch the skin. What you choose to put on your skin is up to you. Do you know of certain formulas to what works best (for your skin) in your most used shave soaps?

83 1,585
 12-19-2017, 08:56 PM
User Info
(12-19-2017, 12:43 PM)jesseix Wrote:  How y'all can get through multiple tins of these triple milled soaps is beyond me... I know my rotation isn't nearly as vast as some of yours and I can barely dent mine!

Loading very heavily and shaving your face and head greatly assists with this.  Wink

89 21,200
 02-23-2018, 06:54 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I find Flying Mango less impressive than Manna di Sicilia (4.0) or Stella Alpina (4.2).
I am generally a big fan of SV soaps though.

43 2,038
 05-16-2018, 09:19 AM
User Info
Phil, is there a distant possibility of introducing a matching aftershave for Flying Mango. I happen to try one of two samples you had sent with my previous order and really like the face feel. A Flying Mango aftershave will be a nice addition to the den.

3 1,147
 05-16-2018, 12:45 PM
User Info
(05-16-2018, 09:19 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Phil, is there a distant possibility of introducing a matching aftershave for Flying Mango. I happen to try one of two samples you had sent with my previous order and really like the face feel. A Flying Mango aftershave will be a nice addition to the den.

Is it a sample of the Flying Mango shave soap or was it a sample of aftershave?  

I pair 70th Anniversary aftershave with the Fling Mango soap.

83 1,585
 05-16-2018, 04:48 PM
User Info
(05-16-2018, 12:45 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(05-16-2018, 09:19 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Phil, is there a distant possibility of introducing a matching aftershave for Flying Mango. I happen to try one of two samples you had sent with my previous order and really like the face feel. A Flying Mango aftershave will be a nice addition to the den.

Is it a sample of the Flying Mango shave soap or was it a sample of aftershave?  

I pair 70th Anniversary aftershave with the Fling Mango soap.
I own the soap already. Phil had sent sample of some other scents which I really liked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,147
 05-16-2018, 07:07 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info

Probably not... it depends on the minimum run required. I can investigate.

48 19,819
 05-16-2018, 10:53 PM
User Info
Here in UK a puck of SV costs £23, A Tin £30 average.  I see $95 was mentioned! Try UK sites and also the SV site in Italy.

I have been using Dolomiti for a month and there is hardly a dent in it. I do jot skimp on lather, and have hard water. My partner sometimes uses my soaps as he shaves once a week and says SV is not only better than other good soaps I have had, but head and shoulders above.,

0 123
 05-16-2018, 10:58 PM
User Info
(05-16-2018, 10:53 PM)Roy Wrote: Here in UK a puck of SV costs £23, A Tin £30 average.  I see $95 was mentioned! Try UK sites and also the SV site in Italy.

I have been using Dolomiti for a month and there is hardly a dent in it. I do jot skimp on lather, and have hard water. My partner sometimes uses my soaps as he shaves once a week and says SV is not only better than other good soaps I have had, but head and shoulders above.,

Dolomiti was extremely pleasant to use. I might be shaving with it soon but I am still using Myrtle of Sardegna for a handful more shaves.

83 1,585
 05-16-2018, 11:04 PM
User Info
(05-16-2018, 07:07 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

Probably not... it depends on the minimum run required. I can investigate.

Hi Phil,

I would like to share an idea. Maybe you can coordinate a complimentary scent that may go with Flying Mango and other scents. One thing that I think would be cool is having the aftershave balsam with some mango (kernel oil) and/or butter. Maybe others on the forum would like that considering the performance reviews were raving back during the first soap so some credit is due to the mango butter itself. The new beta formula Flying Mango 4.3 is very nice as well and I was using it to clean a few brushes recently. Maybe a poll in a separate thread could be a possibility Phil. See if the forum would gage interest in a forum aftershave from SV. I would be in!  Smile

83 1,585