08-30-2012, 06:48 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Well I took it as a bit of a dare to try to reformulate a shaving soap that functioned like VINTAGE Williams, not the new stuff currently being sold!

So I set out to do just that last night and I was quite pleased at the results. Hubby had a great shave with it last night and wants to keep it around for himself as well.

Pictures of the lather can be found on page 2 of this thread!
http://shavenook.com/thread-can-vintage-...ted?page=2

There will be 2 winners for this PIF and each will receive 1/2 the puck.

RULES: TO ENTER say you want in, BUT you must also post a link to a post post here on the Nook about your love for Williams or that you have used Williams!

I'm going to use an old family name for my faux Williams shaving soap, and call it Walters shaving soap!

Shown with the full size pucks, this was taken just after it came out of the mold.

This shaving soap has been scented with a lemon scent that i think will take you back to yesteryear of what Williams use to smell like.... But since it can be scented with anything I will be offering it in other scents as well as unscented.

[Image: FauxWilliams4-400.jpg]

This is the 1/2 puck the winner will receive, showing the front and back. So it's not cut in half as in a half moon size but cut in half so you get the full round of the puck.

[Image: WaltersSoapFrontandBack.jpg]

This PIF will end on Tuesday August 4th in the morning.
Good Luck to all who enter!

Here is an ingredient list of the real vintage Williams soap box.
[Image: CranfordWilliamsShavingSoapWorks.jpg]
See how it compares to the label on my version above..... That doesn't mean it's exactly the same as there are lots of variables. But I hope to find out soon just how it compares with the real vintage soap.

I mailed out a sample today to Dave to see if he can determine if this is close to the vintage shaving soap that is covered.

7 405
 08-30-2012, 06:52 AM
User Info
I'm not in, but that's a really good PIF, Krissy.

183 12,002
 08-30-2012, 07:24 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
I would like to get in on this, I have never tried the old Williams and I finally figured out how to lather it. It would be interesting to see how your soap compares to the new formula. Thanks for the great PIF! Biggrin

I finally figured out the New Williams soap!

0 539
 08-30-2012, 07:31 AM
User Info
 08-30-2012, 08:08 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Oh I so wanna be in! I will post my "like" here

88 4,233
 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM
User Info
Great PIF, Krissy. i am NOT in.

75 20,883
 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM
User Info
Wow thanks Krissy! I'm in.

2 805
 08-30-2012, 06:00 PM
User Info
 08-30-2012, 07:04 PM
User Info
I'd like to play and my post is located here: http://shavenook.com/thread-a-crapton-of...t=williams #13

0 145
 08-31-2012, 12:46 PM
User Info
I just received a sample of this soap today, and it smells wonderful...similar to lemon drops. It's still fairly soft, but I plan on rubbing it on my face and lathering it from there for tomorrow's shave. Thank-you Krissy!

1 168
 08-31-2012, 03:19 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
WOW with two winners, the odds are looking pretty good right now for those that have entered.
1) wlmcad
2) CyanideMetal
3) beartrap
4) sethleupagus
5) GearHead_1

Sunflake you didn't add a link to a past post about williams.....

This ends on Tuesday morning, so you still have time to get your name in for it!

Grant, thank you! It will be plenty hard to rub on your skin and use that way. It will get much harder as it ages. I'm looking forward to hearing about your findings!

7 405
 08-31-2012, 03:37 PM
User Info
Id' like to be in, I've wanted to try one of your soaps for a few years now. Here is my entry post (#2):
http://shavenook.com/thread-vintage-will...5#pid31265

0 59
 09-04-2012, 06:11 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
1) wlmcad
2) CyanideMetal
3) beartrap
4) sethleupagus
5) GearHead_1
6) Livingontheedge

http://www.random.org/ was used to select two number 1-6.

drum roll please.....
and the winners are............

CONGRATS
1) wlmcad
5) GearHead_1

7 405
 09-04-2012, 06:29 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
Woohoo!! PM sent...

0 539
 09-04-2012, 06:36 AM
User Info
Thank you very much. I look forward to the experience.

0 145
 09-04-2012, 06:58 AM
User Info
Congrats! Thanks for another great PIF, Krissy!

2 362
 09-04-2012, 02:02 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
both packages are now in the care of the postal service and each winner has received tracking info via PM!!!

7 405
 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM
User Info
Icon_popcorn I'm awaiting the reviews to see if I want a lavender one. My biggest complaint about the current Williams has been the scent.

1 345
 09-04-2012, 04:57 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
This version kicks the current Williams butt from here to timbucktu, IMHO.

I also found that I liked it better than the vintage Williams that Grant sent me. Now take this with a grain of salt because of the surface area being lathered. The leg is a lot larger area than the face. But in lathering the vintage I found that I had to really work the lather a lot more and if I didn't do that I did notice some dissipation so I had to go back and rework the lather to rebuild it up. Of course that wasn't a problem with my version. Biggrin

Then the formulation could also be the issue as well since I don't know the exact formulation and the amounts used for each ingredient in the real vintage shaving soap. I took a stab at guessing at what I thought they might be. Which could have gone up and down a bit on different ingredients that could have made a big difference with what I did come up with. Make it or break it as they say. But my list of ingredients matches the vintage one but that doesn't mean I'm using their formulation, it's just my educated guess using the information that I know about making shaving soap.

BTW, I was down my basement this afternoon and found a 1/2 box of tallow that I had forgotten I had. It's still good so I don't need to wait until Thursday when my 50 pound box arrives to play!

7 405
 09-09-2012, 06:00 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
I've used this soap three days now, it has proved to be an awesome soap, amazing lather great cushion, rich, and very slick, awesome soap!

0 539