12-19-2017, 03:33 PM
User Info
Hi,
     Are there any shaving soaps out there that are particularly fast and easy to lather up with (much more so than most others) and if so, what kind are they?
Thank you

0 106
 12-19-2017, 03:40 PM
User Info
The new CRSW Glide "cream soaps" are very easy to lather.

53 8,146
 12-19-2017, 04:04 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(12-19-2017, 03:40 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The new CRSW Glide "cream soaps" are very easy to lather.

Glide is awesome.  Along the same lines would be L and L grooming as well as Barrister and Mann Reserve.  These three brands topped my best of the best list for the year.  All are easy to lather, smell great and have great facial moisturizing properties.

63 702
 12-19-2017, 04:41 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
I honestly can't think of any soaps that are hard to lather (except those that don't lather at all).

82 3,436
 12-19-2017, 06:06 PM
User Info
Tabac is the fastest and easiest soap I’ve ever lathered.

44 441
 12-19-2017, 06:12 PM
User Info
I really like the Stirling soaps, and find them just as easy to lather as Barrister Reserve.  Others that are really easy to lather in my experience are Maggard’s (I believe the artisan is the same as ‘Through the Fire Fine Craft’) and Jeeves of Hudson St. (the tobacco & bay leaf scent is my favorite).  Maggards is probably the “croapiest” of the bunch (closest to a really thick cream), the others are more like soft soaps.  I also have hard water and all of these lather great for me, whereas others I need to really work at (Barrister’s glissant formation, for example).  I don’t have a ton of harder soap pucks, though; I’m sure there are some of those that lather easily too.  One I can think of might be Pre de Provence #63.  All the other ones are softer soaps. 

* Edit — I forgot to mention PAA, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, which makes a ridiculous assortment of easy to lather soaps, with awesome and creative scents...  Soap Commander makes a great product too, but I find I have to work harder for some reason with their soaps—could just be my water, though....

0 56
 12-19-2017, 06:42 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
In terms of easy to lather, MdC is the best. A couple of swirls and the lather explodes. I do prefer other soaps, but MdC takes the cake on latherability.

90 1,670
 12-19-2017, 07:04 PM
User Info
Creams, croaps, and soft-soaps. After that - haslinger seems particularly quick to lather for me.

29 1,502
 12-19-2017, 07:22 PM
User Info
L'Occitane - Cade in the tub (not the puck or tube). Easy to load, lathers quickly, great post shave face feel, and smells great! The matching balm is excellent as well.

8 419
 12-19-2017, 08:25 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-19-2017, 03:33 PM)punchy Wrote: Hi,
     Are there any shaving soaps out there that are particularly fast and easy to lather up with (much more so than most others) and if so, what kind are they?
Thank you

Barbasol in the aerosol can.

1 1,261
 12-19-2017, 08:57 PM
User Info
(12-19-2017, 04:41 PM)Nero Wrote: I honestly can't think of any soaps that are hard to lather (except those that don't lather at all).

Signs011

89 21,201
 12-20-2017, 05:29 AM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
I would agree with what has already been said - there are so many soaps, creams, croaps that are very easy to lather. I have very hard water and I've found that the difference in time it takes to make a good lather is usually a matter of seconds, not minutes, between different soaps.

2 105
 12-20-2017, 09:17 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
For economy vs quality of shave, it's hard to beat RazoRock for ease of latherability. I would also put MdC on the high end and of course, Tabac.
I know that those soaps have a good rep for latherability. Keep in mind that i can lather pretty much any shaving soap fairly quickly. For me, MWF is quick and easy, but others have trouble. Not that that means anything. There are so many variables when it comes to how a soap performs in each individual den, that I think people would be hard pressed to identify why some folk have trouble with certain soaps and others do not.

2 1,805
 12-20-2017, 09:40 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Tabac is very easy to lather, even with hard water.  I've found Cella easy also, and MdC.

50 535
 12-20-2017, 09:42 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Wholly Kaw

119 1,723
 12-20-2017, 09:49 AM
  • DannyZ
  • Harker Heights, TX
User Info
Proraso cream

1 85
 12-20-2017, 09:52 AM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
(12-20-2017, 09:17 AM)SRNewb Wrote: For economy vs quality of shave, it's hard to beat RazoRock for ease of latherability. I would also put MdC on the high end and of course, Tabac.
I know that those soaps have a good rep for latherability. Keep in mind that i can lather pretty much any shaving soap fairly quickly. For me, MWF is quick and easy, but others have trouble. Not that that means anything. There are so many variables when it comes to how a soap performs in each individual den, that I think people would be hard pressed to identify why some folk have trouble with certain soaps and others do not.

I think that the importance of variations in water hardness is overblown on forums. I've lived in three states since starting doing this, and I have found zero difference in how any products lather. I even used distilled water when I first started and then when I switched to supposed hard tap water, no difference.

82 3,436
 12-20-2017, 12:36 PM
User Info
 For me, Saponificio Varesino.  I have Colonia, Felce Aromatica, and Dolomiti.  Virtually instant wonderful lather.

22 802
 12-20-2017, 05:36 PM
User Info
(12-20-2017, 12:36 PM)LookingGlass Wrote:  For me, Saponificio Varesino.  I have Colonia, Felce Aromatica, and Dolomiti.  Virtually instant wonderful lather.

When I first started using SV 70’th, I remarked that it was almost too easy to create lather!

29 1,502
 12-20-2017, 05:50 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(12-20-2017, 09:52 AM)Nero Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 09:17 AM)SRNewb Wrote: For economy vs quality of shave, it's hard to beat RazoRock for ease of latherability. I would also put MdC on the high end and of course, Tabac.

I've lived in three states since starting doing this, and I have found zero difference in how any products lather. I even used distilled water when I first started and then when I switched to supposed hard tap water, no difference.

I have had the same experience. Early in my wet shaving journey I was gifted a puck of MWF. I'd heard nothing about how difficult it was to lather.
At the time, we had water so hard that we could barely get shampoo to lather. I hit it with a wet brush and got gobs of lather; no issues whatever. About three years later the landlord put in a water softener. Now, it is extremely difficult to rinse soap off of you, the water is so soft. Guess what? No issues with Mitchell's (or anything else), and zero change in lathering technique.
I don't really know what is going on, but I'm not prepared to say everyone who has problems has bad technique. And I'm not saying you are saying that either. But there is clearly something different going on.

2 1,805