12-23-2017, 01:21 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Praying some day to get on list and want to know which is the best material. If it matters, I have hypersensative skin with a patchy but coarse beard growth. Finally, thinking of getting a dual comb; is this advisable?

I currently own a BBS1 in stainless that I LOVE (so this Wolfman would be a longterm keeper not a flip).

3 298
 12-23-2017, 03:38 PM
User Info
I've only had the stainless examples of James's work. I do have a titanium Paradigm which is mighty nice, and a Ti Timeless, also nice. Of course I've shaved with plenty of brass Gillettes among others. So as far as the metal goes I'd say get what you like. One thing is sure, James is a perfectionist and whichever metal you razor comes to you in, it will be absolutely perfect. I do have a .74 DC Wolfman and it is cool to have both comb options on one head IMO.

7 243
 12-23-2017, 06:11 PM
User Info
I have a Dual Comb SS standard gap and a .74 Dual Comb Titanium Wolfman Both are beautiful and perfectly polished If could only keep one it would be the Titanium. That’s my pennies worth

17 314
 12-23-2017, 06:59 PM
User Info
I would be happy with any Wolfman. I'm finding it hard to find one.

Troy

12 201
 12-24-2017, 01:05 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
(12-23-2017, 06:11 PM)Shavemd Wrote: I have a Dual Comb SS standard gap and a .74 Dual Comb Titanium Wolfman Both are beautiful and perfectly polished If could only keep one it would be the Titanium. That’s my pennies worth

Why would you choose the Ti over SS? Feel? Shave quality?

3 298
 12-24-2017, 03:21 AM
User Info
(12-24-2017, 01:05 AM)DanLaw Wrote:
(12-23-2017, 06:11 PM)Shavemd Wrote: I have a Dual Comb SS standard gap and a .74 Dual Comb Titanium Wolfman Both are beautiful and perfectly polished If could only keep one it would be the Titanium. That’s my pennies worth

Why would you choose the Ti over SS?  Feel?  Shave quality?

The Ti is a more durable metal, the shave is slightly smoother ( even though its a larger gap ) and I prefer the WRH2 handle over the WRH7 handle,better grip.

17 314
 12-24-2017, 07:47 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Thanks, with you on the handle shape for sure. Either the LASSC BBS1 style or WRH2 would be my choice.

Many using Ti agree shave is smoother although even the metalurgists amongst them have yet to provide a scientific rationale. Of course it doesn’t require an engineering education to determine superiourity of results! Would be nice if somebody could offer a reasoned explanation though. Experience with Ti in various racing pursuits leads me to believe the material would deaden and mask feel.

3 298
 12-24-2017, 05:35 PM
User Info
(12-24-2017, 07:47 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Thanks, with you on the handle shape for sure. Either the LASSC BBS1 style or WRH2 would be my choice.

Many using Ti agree shave is smoother although even the metalurgists amongst them have yet to provide a scientific rationale. Of course it doesn’t require an engineering education to determine superiourity of results! Would be nice if somebody could offer a reasoned explanation though. Experience with Ti in various racing pursuits leads me to believe the material would deaden and mask feel.

I wonder if it’s the fact that Ti holds the blade as rigid as SS, unlike aluminum, but is lighter giving the perception of a softer shave

17 314
 12-24-2017, 06:05 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
May be something there.

3 298
 12-24-2017, 09:28 PM
User Info
I have the SS Darwin with OC @ 0.74mm gap & a Ti DC @ 0.61mm gap and H7 handle.  I think I prefer the Ti razor, but there are multiple variables involved:
1) The Ti is relatively new and I may be slightly biased since both shave great
2) The gaps are different
3) Different handle designs for balance and grip
4) One side of the Ti head is a SB design which is ever so slightly the smoothest design I own.
Because of all these variables, it is tough to isolate just the differences in material.

I think I like the OC feel slightly better on the SS then the Ti and it probably is a bit more efficient.  I do not know if this is material, finish, or gap related.
The smoothest shave is with the SB side on the Ti head.
The grip feels better on the Ti handle, but I like the contour and balance of the Darwin, although it is a bit more slippery in polished SS.

To me, the material difference seems to come down to personal preference.  I bought and probably like Ti the best because:
1) The precise feeling of using a well balanced light razor
2) The fact that Ti will not rust or corrode
3) You can anodize and color Ti razors from Wolfman
4) Ti is hard and durable
5) Ti is of surgical quality
6) If you want a Ti razor, Wolfman seems to make the nicest polished finish
7) If I bought something else, I would still want to own a Ti Wolfman

With all that said, I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the metals.  I am sure they all provide exceptional shaves and one's decision could be nothing more then razor weight preference, desired look, and/or budget.  All will be made flawless.
Steve

0 997