12-24-2017, 09:45 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
The 3 knots I'm discussing in this thread are excellent face lathers, have been available for years but for some reason has garnered very little review attention. Side note: the TGN has had it's share of attention years ago but in the last years nada.

I'll start with a knot a TGN that I believe most people in the wet shaving community has used, have or had at lest one brush with one of their knots. For this unappreciated knot thread I chose the TGN Finest. This knot is a hit or miss I've had TGN Finest 24 fans put into 11 brushes (5 of these brushes I gave as gifts, 3 I still have) through the years. These knot are of medium backbone and moderate density, the kicker here is the tips can have some presence, not scritchy but presence or they can have beautiful soft tips. I kept 3 those that have beautiful soft tips. One Elite, two WW.

Romera is a brush maker who you either love or hate. I am not criticizing his work since I've only had good experiences, though there have been a few complaints abut the finish on some of his handles, his customer service/responding to emails and the length of time it takes to receive your brush after you've placed and paid for your order, yes it does take some time. 

I have purchase a few brushes from Romera which I've sold though I like the knots. I had also purchased 3 knots when Ramero made them available. One of his knots I put into a Elite wooden handle (Jerusalem olive wood, lotus style handle). The knot came out 25.5 x 53. I found that these knots have medium backbone with very nice density that gives a nice lathering massage. The tips start out with mild presence, after 6 lathering they become delightfully soft not gel but a with some spring to the their softness.

Another knot which has had very little review exposure is the El Druida. It's a lovely knot that is different than what's on the market today, soft to medium backbone, moderate density with silky soft tips (resilient fine hairs). I once compared this knot to be similar to a Wiborg. I purchased 2 of them a 24 and 26.
[Image: dIDd37o.jpg] [Image: gbNPgHV.jpg]Elite iron Wood with a 24 TGN
[Image: Cq1QLHI.jpg] [Image: T4vPZDH.jpg] Elite Romera I24 which came out to 25.5
[Image: Sh5zBa3.jpg] El Druida 26

52 504
 12-24-2017, 09:59 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I have not owned a Romero or El Druida, but I have had/set a number of TGN Finest and, for me, they have been very satisfying knots. Some cpomparable to Simpsons two bands of the fabled 2011-2013 era.

Beautiful olive wood, BTW.

60 1,653
 12-24-2017, 10:10 AM
User Info
@bijou, you take some fantastic brush pictures. 

I do have an obligatory TGN Finest in the den from 2013. It's a 22mm and is of the ultra soft tip variety.  May have been my first badger knot ever.

44 1,228
 12-24-2017, 10:14 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Really nice looking brushes!

10 359
 12-24-2017, 10:51 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(12-24-2017, 10:14 AM)NJDJ Wrote: Really nice looking brushes!

Thank you gentlemen but it's the knots that make these brushes special. May all of you have a wonderful holiday

52 504
 12-24-2017, 02:59 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Steven, everything about your brushes is really quite appealing. Thanks for sharing Smile

7 2,441
 12-24-2017, 03:56 PM
User Info
Excellent write up, thank you! I have always wanted to try El Druida. Question, when you say, “Another knot which has had very little review exposure is the El Druida. It's a lovely knot that is different than what's on the market today, soft to medium backbone, moderate density with silky soft tips (resilient fine hairs).” Do you mean the current knots are different from past offerings or his knots in general including currently?

Very fine brushes you have there! The olive wood is especially beautiful.

4 971
 12-24-2017, 07:30 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(12-24-2017, 03:56 PM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote: Excellent write up, thank you! I have always wanted to try El Druida. Question, when you say, “Another knot which has had very little review exposure is the El Druida. It's a lovely knot that is different than what's on the market today, soft to medium backbone, moderate density with silky soft tips (resilient fine hairs).” Do you mean the current knots are different from past offerings or his knots in general including currently?

Very fine brushes you have there! The olive wood is especially beautiful.

No I'm not commenting on past knots since I have no idea about El Druida knots a years back though theymay be the same he is selling now. I am talking about what I know which is the current knots that he has been putting into his brushes over the last few years, and if you like their personality they are a lovely knot.

By the way all the best to ya, Select and Glide are beautifull soaps.

52 504
 12-25-2017, 04:24 PM
User Info
(12-24-2017, 07:30 PM)bijou Wrote: No I'm not commenting on past knots since I have no idea about El Druida knots a years back though theymay be the same he is selling now. I am talking about what I know which is the current knots that he has been putting into his brushes over the last few years, and if you like their personality they are a lovely knot.

By the way all the best to ya, Select and Glide are beautifull soaps.

Perfect, thank you! Just what I wanted to hear.

Thank you as well for the very kind comment, use them in good health.

4 971
 12-25-2017, 04:35 PM
User Info
The most unappreciated 2 band was New Forest Tubby series. I was sad to see Peter retire from the business. I would not sell mine for any price

3 754
 12-25-2017, 06:14 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(12-25-2017, 04:35 PM)SteelTown Wrote: The most unappreciated 2 band was New Forest Tubby series. I was sad to see Peter retire from the business. I would not sell mine for any price

I never had one of those, could you please review this brush. Thanks

52 504
 12-26-2017, 04:53 AM
User Info
Well it’s a disco’ed brush and they rarely come up. I liked the knot because it reminded me of a Vie-Long 2 band but softer. Has a beautiful bulb knot with a slightly higher loft then most Uber dense two bands. This gave it a perfect balance of density and flow thru. The handle was really large , similar to a Chubby 3. It’s one of the few 2 bands I have kept

3 754
 12-26-2017, 06:42 AM
User Info
Nathan Beard Slayer at EnvyShave has Supreme White Two Band knots that are outstanding and reasonably priced.

16 2,008
 12-26-2017, 07:17 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
There are many examples of great knots at value pricing. Not all are good but that is also true for "name brands".

Below a Maseto Shaving 30mm knot in ivory handle (Chubby 3 style): $50 incl. shipping from China.

[Image: uWA4jWH.jpg]

39 1,920
 12-26-2017, 07:19 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
My TGN experiences have been mixed as for most I guess. But the below Finest knot (24/50mm) in a Rudy Vey AS3M handle in tortoise is a true gem and served me already for several years.

[Image: qsNexM7.jpg]

39 1,920
 12-26-2017, 11:47 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-26-2017, 07:17 AM)German Wrote: There are many examples of great knots at value pricing. Not all are good but that is also true for "name brands".

Below a Maseto Shaving 30mm knot in ivory handle (Chubby 3 style): $50 incl. shipping from China.

[Image: uWA4jWH.jpg]

Currently the only badgers I am using are from Maseto. Other than losing one hair every couple shaves (which may change or continue, I don't care either way at the price), it has all the characteristics I want in a brush knot. Perfect softness at tips, no scritch, medium backbone, and perfect flow through. All my other brushes are theoretically on sale.

62 3,091
 12-26-2017, 08:08 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(12-26-2017, 07:19 AM)German Wrote: My TGN experiences have been mixed as for most I guess. But the below Finest knot (24/50mm) in a Rudy Vey AS3M handle in tortoise is a true gem and served me already for several years.

Nice brush, beautiful handle

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

52 504
 12-27-2017, 06:29 AM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
(12-26-2017, 08:08 PM)bijou Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 07:19 AM)German Wrote: My TGN experiences have been mixed as for most I guess. But the below Finest knot (24/50mm) in a Rudy Vey AS3M handle in tortoise is a true gem and served me already for several years.

Nice brush, beautiful handle

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

I’ve also had quite mixed results with TGN Finest knots. The only shedder I’ve had was a TGN, but for the money they are decent knots.

I would also second German on Maseto knots from a value proposition. They may be the best 2 band knots out there from that perspective. I have the one pictured above as well as an Atlanta with a slightly lower loft than the standard which is hard to beat from a value and performance perspective. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of that brush on hand.

I would also add to the above Brad Sears “house brand” 2 band knots. The one I have is an S8 pictured below and has very soft tips. They are very dense while still having flex and flow through. I think many would prefer them over Sabini finest knots, but of course YMMV.

[Image: ea20e054cbe06f1be2bcc3318306895b.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 161
 12-27-2017, 06:52 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
VP Leonhardy 2-band silvertip. Not so much unappreciated as unknown.

7 961
 12-27-2017, 06:05 PM
User Info
(12-27-2017, 06:52 AM)Rufus Wrote: VP Leonhardy 2-band silvertip.  Not so much unappreciated as unknown.

I've been trying to convince myself to get a VP Leonhardy. It looks like the 8000 Series is the best for a face latherer?

2 131