12-24-2017, 11:02 AM
User Info
By “make or break” I mean things that make you keep a razor or let one go. Top of my list for things that break a razor for me is any blade play or movement. Any razor with even the slightest bit of blade movement is immediately listed on the bazaar or BST. A lot of people don’t mind this but for me, i feel like it contributes to inconsistent shaves. Call me crazy if you want. I like how the timeless razors were designed to keep the blade snug and movement free. This razor is a keeper for me. I’ve been using the ikon SBS and although it’s pleasure to use, blade movement has forced me to let this one go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 28
 12-24-2017, 11:06 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Chatter seems a much more critical success factor than thought: be it efficiency, smoothness or blade compatibility

3 291
 12-24-2017, 11:09 AM
User Info
(12-24-2017, 11:06 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Chatter seems a much more critical success factor than thought: be it efficiency, smoothness or blade compatibility

What’s your definition of “chatter”. Blade movement?

0 28
 12-24-2017, 07:19 PM
User Info
For me, the main make-or-break factor is whether or not the razor is made by Timeless. If not, it goes to the BST. I’m only slightly kidding, but mostly serious about that statement. Amazing razor and craftsmanship.

44 442
 12-25-2017, 05:59 AM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
If it gives me irritation, it's gone. Why else?

82 3,444
 12-25-2017, 06:09 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(12-25-2017, 05:59 AM)Nero Wrote: If it gives me irritation, it's gone. Why else?

Yes! Must provide daily shaves without irritation.

65 5,219
 12-25-2017, 06:27 AM
User Info
(12-25-2017, 06:09 AM)eengler Wrote:
(12-25-2017, 05:59 AM)Nero Wrote: If it gives me irritation, it's gone. Why else?

Yes! Must provide daily shaves without irritation.

Signs011

46 719
 12-25-2017, 06:55 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Blade alignment. The blade should align properly every time without adjustment.

3 639
 12-25-2017, 07:11 AM
User Info
Some razors I have used draw blood quite quickly and I am wondering if this is due to blade chatter?

56 1,298
 12-25-2017, 08:44 AM
User Info
Blade alignment.  If one side is more aggressive than the other, it's gone.  Also if a shaver is mild and it isn't better than the gillette pre-war tech, it is also gone.

0 389
 12-25-2017, 12:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
My desire to try/own different razors is often stirred by visual appearance. I’m drawn to vintagey looking razors. For instance, I love the look of Gems, and have bought many varieties, but have gotten very few good shaves with any of them. I don’t know how to make them work. The same holds true for short, black handled Super Adjustable 85 from the late 60s. Love the look, can’t make them work. Yet, Techs and Red Tips are right in my sweet spot and always give a good shave. If, after half a dozen or so shaves I don’t ‘bond’ with a razor, it goes to the ‘unused’ section of my drawer, eventually moving along to a new owner.

10 3,120
 12-25-2017, 01:28 PM
User Info
(12-24-2017, 07:19 PM)shaveser Wrote: For me, the main make-or-break factor is whether or not the razor is made by Timeless.  If not, it goes to the BST.  I’m only slightly kidding, but mostly serious about that statement.  Amazing razor and craftsmanship.

Signs011

53 8,223
 12-25-2017, 01:59 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
This is slightly out of line, but for me, its the handle. Yes, I realize many handle interchange.

That said, if a razor's handle lacks sufficient "grip", then the handle gets changed or the razor is moved on. The Standard razor is an example. The handle is completely without knurling.
The razor lasted less than a week in my den.

63 1,752
 12-25-2017, 09:22 PM
User Info
(12-25-2017, 01:59 PM)MaxP Wrote: This is slightly out of line, but for me, its the handle. Yes, I realize many handle interchange.

That said, if a razor's handle lacks sufficient "grip", then the handle gets changed or the razor is moved on. The Standard razor is an example. The handle is completely without knurling.
The razor lasted less than a week in my den.

I’m with you 100%. Lack of good grip is a show stopper for me. Some people don’t like knurling but it provides gecko grip

0 28
 12-26-2017, 08:36 AM
User Info
I agree with the above posters: I like razors with no chatter, great blade alignment and that don't produce irritation.

Beyond that, I am usually not very picky. I like mild, medium, or even very aggressive razors, as long as the above constraints are respected.

0 51
 12-26-2017, 09:05 AM
User Info
I like an aggressive razor. Medium aggressive is alright too. Something like a Feather AS-D2 is an example of a razor that is so mild I am not satisfied with it. 

All the above assumes the razor is excellent or better in fit and finish.

7 243
 12-26-2017, 09:14 AM
User Info
(12-25-2017, 12:14 PM)chazt Wrote: My desire to try/own different razors is often stirred by visual appearance. I’m drawn to vintagey looking razors. For instance, I love the look of Gems, and have bought many varieties, but have gotten very few good shaves with any of them. I don’t know how to make them work. The same holds true for short, black handled Super Adjustable 85 from the late 60s. Love the look, can’t make them work. Yet, Techs and Red Tips are right in my sweet spot and always give a good shave. If, after half a dozen or so shaves I don’t ‘bond’ with a razor, it goes to the ‘unused’ section of my drawer, eventually moving along to a new owner.

[slight threadjack] There are three secrets to getting a great shave with a Gem razor.  1) Always make sure you are using the PTFE-coated stainless steel blade.  2) Shallow, shallow angle.  You have to hold the razor almost flat against your face.  3) Light touch.  A good way to combine concepts 2 and 3 is to use a Gem the way you would use a straight razor.  You can even stretch the skin the way straight razor shavers do.  Then keep the razor almost flat against the face and use light, longer strokes.  If you try it this way with a good PTFE-coated blade, you should be pleasantly surprised. [/slight threadjack]

3 1,932
 12-26-2017, 09:17 AM
User Info
(12-24-2017, 11:02 AM)Bayareashaves Wrote: By “make or break” I mean things that make you keep a razor or let one go. Top of my list for things that break a razor for me is any blade play or movement. Any razor with even the slightest bit of blade movement is immediately listed on the bazaar or BST. A lot of people don’t mind this but for me, i feel like it contributes to inconsistent shaves.  Call me crazy if you want. I like how the timeless razors were designed to keep the blade snug and movement free. This razor is a keeper for me. I’ve been using the ikon SBS and although it’s pleasure to use, blade movement has forced me to let this one go.

By blade movement what do you mean?  

1) When loading a blade onto the razor, you can see that the blade can move on the posts, and you can wiggle the blade on the posts.
2) When loading a blade, you can see that sometimes the blade loads unevenly, with more exposure on one side than the other, or slightly crooked, so that the blade exposure on a single side is not even along the edge.
3) When shaving, you can feel the blade hesitate as it hits the toughest or densest stubble.

Or is it some combination of the three?

3 1,932
 12-26-2017, 09:56 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Matt is spot on.

Why bother with a razor that gives you bad shaves?

58 2,348
 12-26-2017, 10:43 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-26-2017, 09:14 AM)kingfisher Wrote:
(12-25-2017, 12:14 PM)chazt Wrote: My desire to try/own different razors is often stirred by visual appearance. I’m drawn to vintagey looking razors. For instance, I love the look of Gems, and have bought many varieties, but have gotten very few good shaves with any of them. I don’t know how to make them work. The same holds true for short, black handled Super Adjustable 85 from the late 60s. Love the look, can’t make them work. Yet, Techs and Red Tips are right in my sweet spot and always give a good shave. If, after half a dozen or so shaves I don’t ‘bond’ with a razor, it goes to the ‘unused’ section of my drawer, eventually moving along to a new owner.

[slight threadjack] There are three secrets to getting a great shave with a Gem razor.  1) Always make sure you are using the PTFE-coated stainless steel blade.  2) Shallow, shallow angle.  You have to hold the razor almost flat against your face.  3) Light touch.  A good way to combine concepts 2 and 3 is to use a Gem the way you would use a straight razor.  You can even stretch the skin the way straight razor shavers do.  Then keep the razor almost flat against the face and use light, longer strokes.  If you try it this way with a good PTFE-coated blade, you should be pleasantly surprised. [/slight threadjack]

Of course, I’ll try again at some point. I have a user grade, gold plated Bullet Tip that seems to be the mildest shaver of all the Gems that remain in my drawer. I’m in no hurry though, as my DEs work so well, so effortlessly, with my skill set. My fascination with visual appearance of the vintage razors remains high. They’re uniqueness of design, form/function, and all that, is unrivaled. Thanks for the encouragement. Will try again soon Smile

... Back to the thread...

10 3,120