12-24-2017, 10:58 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Hi Chaps

Merry Xmas/Holiday to all here, from Sydney Australia. 

I found a German vendor sells Plisson brushes - including Plexi-handled models in EW and Grey. I haven't posted a link to the site, as I am not sure if it contravenes the Nook rules.

I don't know anywhere that currently sells Plissons in Plexi, so maybe I'm just being a little redundant. Please let me know if it's is permitted, and I will provide a link.

They look terribly expensive and no doubt would also attract a shipping fee on top.

Example: the size 8 in EW sells for 225 Euros (that's 267 US); the size 20 for 587 Euros ($697 US) ($900 Australian, yikes!)

I think I'll keep visiting charity stores Smile Smile

Goodwill to all people, everywhere.

Shaun

0 1,876
 12-25-2017, 02:41 AM
User Info
I think I was aware a couple years ago as well as places I have sen listed prices and available e commerce purchase on a website that Plisson dealers will list at the higher/highest market prices. I'm not sure how to explain what I like about some of the branding but I appreciate how they label a knot. Maybe this could help clarify. I think I have tried 3 European White brush knots from Plisson. Did I love all of them. I tolerated 2 and loved 1 if I remember correctly. To be more specific, even though the brushes were pricey or expensive, what I "believe" they sold me was a story about the hair. The story is just simply stating that it is of a pelt from a badger that can be around the areas around Europe and Russia. Then they will pick and color a bit into the grading and labeling. 

In the end, I don't believe it is humble in price but to purchase a Plisson can be a humble and quality brush. But, I said can and will not absolutely believe ever time a Plisson is purchased that it will be a more gracious brush than any other in the world. A bought my 2nd "luxury" priced 2 band badger brush from Vladimir Ferdman years ago and what I got was a beautiful and ergonomic handle and a soft true gel tipped fan knot. That was a very valuable purchase. The plus for anyone contemplating a EW over HMW in my experience is that at a lower price, you are capable of getting an identical or slightly lesser degree of quality in the crafting of the hair into a certain shape. I was very happy with every single Plisson brush I have owned and felt they were very well made. Sadly, the most recent one made had the worst hair and bad sorting but honestly it made lather just as well as other Plissons. Haha

So on the website, how generic is the picture of the listing? Can you actually see the sellers stock or is it a picture showing the rectangle resin around the plug?

Thanks for sharing my friend. Cheers

82 1,401
 12-25-2017, 08:41 AM
User Info
I had a Euro White Plexi size 12 and sold it because it wasn't scritchy at all. Then took a chance and traded a Rooney Heritage and a Simpson for this EW Plexi 12 and it paid off. Nicely scritchy. The size 14 HMW in horn I've had for about 10 years. The tips are tan rather than white because I smoke tobacco pipes in the house and everything suffers from the tar/nicotine. Anyway, as large as this one is it is one scritchy devil. Great brushes IMO. [Image: mYX1Fob.jpg]

7 243
 12-27-2017, 12:23 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Hello

The site that sells the Plisson Plexi is called "Gents Finest" and if you do a Google search for that and add the word "Rasurkultur" it should be easy enough to find.

Thanks to the Mods for advising that I could let you know about this place.

A very happy New Year to you all.

0 1,876
 12-27-2017, 03:05 AM
User Info
(12-27-2017, 12:23 AM)Shaun Wrote: Hello

The site that sells the Plisson Plexi is called "Gents Finest" and if you do a Google search for that and add the word "Rasurkultur" it should be easy enough to find.

Thanks to the Mods for advising that I could let you know about this place.

A very happy New Year to you all.

I don't think it is worth the lack of actual stock photo when you are paying this price. I won't say there is much value is seeing how the quality of the brush is visually and when it was made.

The nod is going to other artisans on the nook that we all know. Look at the difference between the gallery of sold brushes and added stock to the Paladin site. It is a recording of it's product and the effort put into the gallery of each individual model product listing.

The irony of the mystique in Plisson is that it really isn't overpriced. It is just in a very unique corner of the market or niche market maybe. If you need a serviceable brush/knot, as we move into 2018, a customer can start into wetshaving minus software (like cream or soap) starting with a purchase of a landed $15-$25 synthetic brush or even boar and badger brushes ranging $30-$80. Plisson is in my opinion not going to immediately even attract customers at the lowest price tier. I don't think they advertise their presence generally to be selling a lot of horn and wood handled pure badger knots.

So do you pay a high price for a handle using a range of handout horn resins or plexi cut rectangle? I think part of the price is in the craftsmanship but again I go back to the knot. Plisson falls short on being able to invest part of my price purchase in consistency against itself. Why was the first Plisson I ever bought (mind you 1970/80s model) at $500 way more of a value purchase versus the "more budgetable" option size 12 High Mountain White from probably 2012-2015 (maybe?)? The answer lies in difference of the the selling prices and interest in purchase between the two. 

[Image: wa5pcjt.jpg]

[Image: n5enYvu.jpg]

After purchasing the vintage Plisson, I had 3 to 4 ready to pay interested parties. The current models that you may see second hand will be priced at discount to the next purchaser. I didn't lose money on the older brush but simply didn't see the value in keeping it as I was afraid to use it because of it's beauty and "rareness". I only test lathered it once and shaved with it twice. 

So is that too much to ask for, for Plisson to provide some elevation in standards and consistency among it's line over time if they choose to be priced at the top of the market? The only Plissons I see people yumming up are the ones that are beautiful as all hell and can sometimes be 40 years old. Mind you vintage may be higher priced but you can see a better listing, honestly, on etsy or eBay. 

The OP's website being referenced gives the generic choice options. Pictured is brush among photoshopped and blown up accompanying brushes of the identical brush in a variety sizes instead of an actual lineup of differing sized stock.  

Huh

To me, this is perfect if I want to blindly chase another grail brush at approx. $360 shipped for another size 18 HMW in horn. One more thing to nitpick. Look at the wonderful crop job on all the actual shapes of the photoshop of each individual brush model. It looks like they did a rush job after photographing the knot and digitally scissor clipped the tips of hair and you can't really tell the shapes the brushes are. In the two pictures above, you can see the entire view of each knot at their respective angle and I didn't modify or trim the shape with editing.

I hope I don't come across as a negative nancy or troll to trash Plisson. Many complain that badger brushes can be a waste of money and I wouldn't want someone to hear a big "Go buy a Plisson, no matter the price!" This is coming from a guy who purchased and enjoyed most of close to 8 or 9 Plisson brushes. To anyone wanting to spend their hard earned money on a current production model, do so with some caution if you can't be certain of some images of what will actually go in the box being sent to you. If the seller is resistant to do that for you, then I have bad news for you. There aren't a lot of places you can easy purchase a Plisson.

To reiterate my advice once more. Do a little poking and try and get the seller to send you some pics if you will pay for a badger brush that is $300 USD (or higher) prior to shipping from Europe. Caveat, maybe you don't have to be nearly as picky as me if you can use a return policy (buyer protection from PP) to your advantage if the item is so bad and wasn't accurately presented to you. Then if you are confident in that, maybe you are free to spend with reckless abandon and see what comes from the place in Germany.

Now go chase a damn nice French brush!  Smile   Badger

82 1,401
 12-27-2017, 03:23 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
I wasn’t recommending, just advising that Plexi handled Plissons are available.

0 1,876
 12-27-2017, 03:45 AM
User Info
(12-27-2017, 03:23 AM)Shaun Wrote: I wasn’t recommending, just advising that Plexi handled Plissons are available.

Once again, I appreciate yo sharing the website to let people know you have some options to still get one. Anyway, I have enjoyed your threads showing what you have purchased thus far. Cheers and more to come hopefully in 2018.

82 1,401
 12-27-2017, 03:56 AM
User Info
(12-27-2017, 03:05 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Do a little poking and try and get the seller to send you some pics if you will pay for a badger brush that is $300 USD (or higher)...

That is actually good advice regardless of what you buy online from an artisan - unless you're happy with what the artisan is happy with selling.

3 4,797
 01-04-2018, 05:50 AM
User Info
While not "plisson" branded, the superior shave does offer some clones to the plexi style.  

Moderator Note:  Links to website not affiliated with TSN removed.

I am not promoting TSS in anyway but just suggesting an option for those that might want a brush with a certain look.  

Also the prices are cheaper but if you are in a foreign country shipping is always a concern.

0 4
 01-04-2018, 10:15 AM
User Info
(01-04-2018, 05:50 AM)imbored2deth Wrote: While not "plisson" branded, the superior shave does offer some clones to the plexi style.  

Moderator Note:  Links to website not affiliated with TSN removed.

I am not promoting TSS in anyway but just suggesting an option for those that might want a brush with a certain look.  

Also the prices are cheaper but if you are in a foreign country shipping is always a concern.

I like that square handle on the Superior Shave model.  I've had a few Plisson Plexi brushes over the years. I find the handle shape, while lovely, to be terrible in hand.

75 2,345