12-25-2017, 01:30 PM
User Info
Well, did you get any new soaps for Christmas?  If so, what did you get?

Santa brought me an entire set of Wholly Kaw soap samples. I'm excited about giving these a try. The scents I was most interested in from the descriptions on the website are not the ones I like the best, so I'm glad she got them all.  

To me, of the sample, the best scents are Dark vetiver and Fern Concerto.

So, what did you get?

3 1,744
 12-25-2017, 01:55 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Well not Santa, but two days ago I received a trade of First Canadian Grand Valley Vetiver and Catie's Bubbles Connecticut Shade.
Both are quite satisfactory.

Today, Santa brought a couple bath bars. Nubian Raw Shea Butter with Frankincense and Myrrh and a Zum bar in Patchouli-Orange.

61 1,696
 12-25-2017, 03:09 PM
User Info
(12-25-2017, 01:30 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Well, did you get any new soaps for Christmas?  If so, what did you get?

Santa brought me an entire set of Wholly Kaw soap samples. I'm excited about giving these a try. The scents I was most interested in from the descriptions on the website are not the ones I like the best, so I'm glad she got them all.  

So, what did you get?

I'm interested in your comments about this soap.

51 7,178
 12-25-2017, 04:04 PM
User Info
have an order in with Jabbonman

77 1,380
 12-25-2017, 04:15 PM
User Info
An old friend and retired master savonniere sent me a parcel from France containing these seven aged vegetal shaving soaps and a 400g block of his Marseille olive oil soap. A treasured gift!

[Image: MyIUhqY.jpg]

4 995
 12-25-2017, 05:30 PM
User Info
(12-25-2017, 04:15 PM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote: An old friend and retired master savonniere sent me a parcel from France containing these seven aged vegetal shaving soaps and a 400g block of his Marseille olive oil soap. A treasured gift!

Wow. That is awesome. Enjoy.

3 1,744
 12-25-2017, 05:31 PM
User Info
(12-25-2017, 03:09 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(12-25-2017, 01:30 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Well, did you get any new soaps for Christmas?  If so, what did you get?

So, what did you get?

I'm interested in your comments about this soap.
I'll be shaving with it tomorrow, so I will let you know my thoughts after I have tried it.

3 1,744
 12-25-2017, 05:32 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(12-25-2017, 04:15 PM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote: An old friend and retired master savonniere sent me a parcel from France containing these seven aged vegetal shaving soaps and a 400g block of his Marseille olive oil soap. A treasured gift!

There are some really good people in the world.  Your friend seems to be one of them!

61 1,696
 12-25-2017, 09:47 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
P&B plus B&M Soaps and Brad Sears/M&F brush
[Image: uEcVr3K.jpg]

7 508
 12-25-2017, 10:25 PM
User Info

Stunning! Love the pressed logo/text in the 400g soap!

29 1,337
 12-25-2017, 10:48 PM
User Info
Since Black Friday I have purchased these soaps:

Tallow+Steel - Boreal
Storybook - Elysium
Shannon Soaps - Woodland Frost & 25th St Lime
Wickham 1912 - Cashmere & Classic 24
CRSW - Olfactory Hue
The Grooming Dept - After The Fire, Chypre Conifere, Angel

I haven't received Chypre Conifere and Angel yet but can say of the others the only ones that I probably won't trade or sell away are After the Fire and Classic 24. The scents on the rest of them vary from meh to just downright offensive. Oh well, it's the risk you take with every soap you buy.

4 954
 12-26-2017, 09:10 AM
User Info
First shave this morning with the Dark Vetiver from Wholly Kaw, lathered with a synthetic brush.  Since this was my first time lathering these soaps, this short review will focus mostly on the scent rather than on the performance. 

Scent off the sample and scent from the lathered product were fairly similar, although the lather has a bit more complexity.  I like the scent quite a bit, but it seems to me that the name is not fitting.  

Generally, I prefer light scents, and have gravitated toward citrus and floral scents over the years.  So the name "dark vetiver," along with a description that promises to "take vetiver to the dark side" would seem unlikely to be a scent that I would like.  Happily, I can tell you that for me, at least, there is nothing remotely "dark" about this scent.  It's a nice, well crafted cologne scent that, if anything, seems actually a little bit sweet.  

I know vetiver comes in a lot of varieties.  Some of them are earthy, some are wet earthy, some are grassy, some are slightly smoky, and some are very smoky.  I dislike even a hint of smoke in my shaving soaps.  The vetiver in this soap is not smoky at all.  It tends mostly toward grassy, which I like.  The scent notes on the website also include benzoin, which is a scent I don't like at all.  Thankfully, my sniffer can detect zero benzoin in this scent.  Not saying it's not there, I just can't perceive it.  

So, to me, the soap has a slightly sweet, slightly incense-like, very woody, somewhat grassy scent that is quite enjoyable.  If you like your vetivers smoky, this one will not please you.  If you want a "dark" scent, this one will not fill the bill.  

But if you think a grassy, woody, complex, slightly sweet cologne scent would please you, you are likely to enjoy this scent.

3 1,744
 12-26-2017, 09:26 AM
User Info
Thanks for posting your thoughts on Dark Vetiver.

51 7,178
 12-26-2017, 01:38 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Try this Soap by Declaration Grooming (former L&L)
The Coast by Midnight&Two 
Cronos by Eufros
Project Leatherby WK
Hook and Shaken by Storybooks Soapworks

115 1,652
 12-27-2017, 03:53 AM
User Info
 12-27-2017, 07:11 AM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
I got a couple of CRSW Select soaps (Prato Verde & Limenthol) and a West Coast Shaving vegetal soap which is surprisingly good!

2 95
 12-27-2017, 10:33 AM
User Info
Here is one i got for Christmas .. looking forward to trying it out and seeing how the bison tallow is, the scent is very close to TERRE D'HERMĖS which is a favorite cologne of mine. This is my first Declaration Grooming soap 

[Image: B49vZQk.jpg]

43 714
 12-27-2017, 05:31 PM
User Info
I shaved with Wholly Kaw in the Fern Concerto scent this morning.  Nice lather, nice shave. 

The scent I enjoyed a lot, too.  It's a lot more floral than you might think, given the name.  But I generally enjoy floral scents, so I was ok with that.  The scent is light to moderate in strength both off the sample and in the lather.  For me the scent off the sample was exactly like the scent of the lather (some soaps "open up" when lathered, or seem to change scents somewhat, but this one did not).  

Overall, I think I like it slightly better than I liked Dark Vetiver.   

The other thing that was remarkable was that the second pass lather was really nice.  Some soaps make a nice first-pass lather but by the time the second pass comes around the lather has weakened, or whatever.  The second pass lather on this soap was quite rich still.  Really nice.

3 1,744
 12-27-2017, 06:01 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Merry Christmas to me, since I bought it.  Arrived in time for a Christmas Eve shave.

CRSW Glide Olfactory Hue

[Image: qTpxMVw.jpg]

180 24,502
 12-27-2017, 06:23 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Nice work, Johnny!

77 3,259