01-10-2018, 01:06 PM
User Info
(01-09-2018, 11:53 AM)Nero Wrote: Don't they have the nicest wood bowls...

[Image: 21be849a5e1ca868bebfff870110c4b8.jpg]

[Image: 04b197f620035725e6668f9b04ccfec7.jpg]
I stopped buying bowls when purchasing hard soaps.  I only buy the refill and put them in either an Anchor Hocking or a Pyrex bowl with top.  Yes, the D.R. Harris bowls are nice however, mine which I have had for about 5 years now looks terrible.  After so many uses and it getting wet most of the finish has worn off and it is now mostly bare wood.

0 264
 01-10-2018, 06:37 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Hmm. Sorry to hear that. I know what you mean. I've had that happen to some wood bowls in the past. One of my old Penhaligon's bowls had major cracking and finish loss.
But eventually I started the practice of turning the bowls over for 24 hours to let them dry out... which is why the wood on my DRH bowls looks basically new at 3-4 years old, depending on scent.
Doing this also makes sure the soaps dry out properly before putting the lid on.

62 3,091
 01-10-2018, 08:27 PM
User Info
The bowls are quite classy, but I do wish they would sand them better. They leave a lot of turning marks on the wood. They never seem to center the silk screened logos on the sides of the bowls, either. I used to be a hobbyist woodturner, so I guess these details stand out to me more than they do for most people.

4 203
 01-11-2018, 07:51 AM
User Info
(01-10-2018, 06:37 PM)Nero Wrote: Hmm. Sorry to hear that. I know what you mean. I've had that happen to some wood bowls in the past. One of my old Penhaligon's bowls had major cracking and finish loss.
But eventually I started the practice of turning the bowls over for 24 hours to let them dry out... which is why the wood on my DRH bowls looks basically new at 3-4 years old, depending on scent.
Doing this also makes sure the soaps dry out properly before putting the lid on.

My problem is not so much with the inside of the bowl.  It is the outside that the finish is mostly gone.  I also overturn all of my bowls regardless of what they are made out of so all water drip out and I also let my soap dry.

0 264
 01-12-2018, 06:43 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-11-2018, 07:51 AM)Tidepool Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 06:37 PM)Nero Wrote: Hmm. Sorry to hear that. I know what you mean. I've had that happen to some wood bowls in the past. One of my old Penhaligon's bowls had major cracking and finish loss.

My problem is not so much with the inside of the bowl.  It is the outside that the finish is mostly gone.  I also overturn all of my bowls regardless of what they are made out of so all water drip out and I also let my soap dry.

Baffling. The outside of my bowls look brand new.

62 3,091
 01-16-2018, 11:09 AM
User Info
(01-12-2018, 06:43 AM)Nero Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 07:51 AM)Tidepool Wrote:

Baffling. The outside of my bowls look brand new.
It is hard to say why but it could be because of age.  I have owned this soap at least 4 years.  If you take into consideration that after the bowl was made, it remained in a warehouse in the U.K., spent a period of time in customs here in the U.S. and how ever long it was at the mail order house where I purchased it from it may be at least 5 years old.  And maybe the finish has noew been improved. 

[Image: 4XIdqWV.jpg] 

[Image: pXuOHX2.jpg]

0 264
 Today, 05:59 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I used to wonder why such a great soap like Yardley came in such pedestrian,  unfinished bowls until it dawned on me no one looked at shaving soaps in  terms of aesthetics then as we do now. There were no refill options for any if not all options back in the day. Bowls were to be tossed.

7 2,379
 11 hours ago
User Info
(Today, 05:59 AM)Mouser Wrote: I used to wonder why such a great soap like Yardley came in such pedestrian,  unfinished bowls until it dawned on me no one looked at shaving soaps in  terms of aesthetics then as we do now. There were no refill options for any if not all options back in the day. Bowls were to be tossed.

Call me cheap if you want but I never buy the bowl unless there are no refills available.  D.R. Harris cost $35 for the bowl while the refill is $18.  L'Occitane shaving soap puck cost $14 ($12 when I purchased it) and just the bowl without soap cost $29.  I buy Pyrex or Anchor Hocking jars with lids for about $6 to $9 for a pack of three.

0 264
 1 hour ago
User Info
I picked up a SV Alder wood bowl, hope it lasts. Great size & depth - fairly inexpensive. 

[Image: Shaving-Bowl-Ontano-restyle-02.jpg]

29 1,275