08-30-2012, 01:58 PM
User Info
this is my first shave after my disastrous shave I had a few weeks ago with my slant using a SI blade.

for this shave, I washed my face with ach brito glyce soap, applied proraso menthol pre-shave cream, then used KMF lavender shaving cream. the KMF wasn't very thick to me, at least it didn't seem. it could have been the that the brush hasn't been fully broken in yet, but I'm not sure. I used my gem 1912 with a Gem SS blade (3rd use).

the shave wasn't bad. I have a few nicks (ugh), had to avoid a bump or two from my previous shave (ugh) and I still have issues shaving my jaw line area (ugh).

here's some photos before prepping my face, with the shaving cream on my face and immediately after my last pass.

[Image: 20120830_164757.jpg?m=1346363364]

[Image: 20120830_164748.jpg?m=1346363375]

[Image: 20120830_164753.jpg?m=1346363386]

[Image: 20120830_164743.jpg?m=1346363388]

[Image: 20120830_165908.jpg?m=1346363395]

[Image: 20120830_165915.jpg?m=1346363399]

[Image: 20120830_172305.jpg?m=1346363404]

[Image: 20120830_172311.jpg?m=1346363410]

[Image: 20120830_172318.jpg?m=1346363419]

[Image: 20120830_172322.jpg?m=1346363421]

[Image: 20120830_172326.jpg?m=1346363619]

40 5,830
 08-30-2012, 02:20 PM
User Info
Saw your linked thread above. Perhaps I missed it, but which model slant is it?

Thanks. Glad to see your results are improving!

14 210
 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM
User Info
The jaw line and neck line was the hardest for me to shave too but practice makes perfect. Just go slow and perfect your technique and it will all come together.

0 91
 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM
User Info
Maybe just me, but the lather looks dry. Never used KMF, though.

2 362
 08-30-2012, 04:25 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Yes the lather does like on the dry side. A slight dip of your brush in water should solve that problem.

100 12,440
 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM
User Info
(08-30-2012, 02:20 PM)Kooze Wrote: Saw your linked thread above. Perhaps I missed it, but which model slant is it?

Thanks. Glad to see your results are improving!

not sure actually. it's a bakelite slant made in Germany.

(08-30-2012, 03:34 PM)ChicagoShaving Wrote: The jaw line and neck line was the hardest for me to shave too but practice makes perfect. Just go slow and perfect your technique and it will all come together.

seems to be my toughest spots as well.

(08-30-2012, 04:19 PM)sethleupagus Wrote: Maybe just me, but the lather looks dry. Never used KMF, though.

I added a bunch of water when face lathering..

(08-30-2012, 04:25 PM)slantman Wrote: Yes the lather does like on the dry side. A slight dip of your brush in water should solve that problem.

I did add a bunch...hmn..maybe next time I'll try using one of my brushes that's more broken in.

40 5,830
 08-30-2012, 06:00 PM
User Info
Possibly more product used to make a more cushiony product would help the nicks too. Use more product but don't make the qt of lather you could with the quantity of soap used. Instead, hydrate it and build the lather, but you want to leave it like a butter icing consistency or like greek yogurt. You don't want to thin it out with too much air or water. It should have enough water in it so that it doesn't dry out, but the point is that it'll have an excess of soap solids also. KMF is super easy to do this with.

When you feel the lather it should have slight resistence to allowing the fingers to come together and the lubrication will be off the scale. This is the ultralather discussed by Sharpspine maybe 2 months ago.

Andrew, your razor doesn't clog with that length of beard? Just curious is all, not writing a book or anything. The first time I head shaved I had my hair shorter than that and my razor kept clogging horribly. I was too chicken to use the ClogPruf for the first head shave. It would have worked better for me.

32 6,309
 08-30-2012, 06:47 PM
User Info
Glad to see that your face is healing up Andrew. I have never tried to shave with that much beard growth, I have always used a beard trimmer to reduce down to a heavy shadow before putting a blade to my face.

Your beard type and patterns are very similar to mine, except mine is gray and wiry. I like to make a much thicker and slicker looking lather. I will work it in and then will allow it to set on my beard for a good five minutes before I shave.

Witch hazel and Alum has always worked well for me in getting my face back to being shave ready.

Good luck brother, I know how it feels to have your face chewed up from a razor/blade combo that did not agree with your face.

5 833
 08-30-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
Andrew, i would have to agree you need a more thicker lather for cushion; more product and more water. Two suggestions, possibly a better soap, tallow based, such as Mike's or Mystic Water, or Krissy's soaps, also more product using a better brush;
lastly, have you picked up some unrefined shea butter, yet? that would really speed up the healing process.
Good luck, my friend.

75 20,883
 08-30-2012, 07:33 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Andrew- dude!

I definitely would not start with that much hair,

curious though, longer stubble seems to help me generate lather on my face well- especially with my Vulfix 660S medium brush.

I would think short strokes for your growth pattern, hair shaft-thickness, would work best.

your choice of razor and blade for this shave seems like a good combo to continue trying- the *stiffer* SE blades help me out greatly, when I have longer stubble.

In your hair/growth type, I would think an SE razor would be a better shave.

YOU GOT SOME SWIRLEYS!
Biggrin

9 1,684
 08-31-2012, 01:20 PM
User Info
(08-30-2012, 06:00 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Possibly more product used to make a more cushiony product would help the nicks too. Use more product but don't make the qt of lather you could with the quantity of soap used. Instead, hydrate it and build the lather, but you want to leave it like a butter icing consistency or like greek yogurt. You don't want to thin it out with too much air or water. It should have enough water in it so that it doesn't dry out, but the point is that it'll have an excess of soap solids also. KMF is super easy to do this with.

When you feel the lather it should have slight resistence to allowing the fingers to come together and the lubrication will be off the scale. This is the ultralather discussed by Sharpspine maybe 2 months ago.

Andrew, your razor doesn't clog with that length of beard? Just curious is all, not writing a book or anything. The first time I head shaved I had my hair shorter than that and my razor kept clogging horribly. I was too chicken to use the ClogPruf for the first head shave. It would have worked better for me.

maybe I'll do some test lathers with the KMF cream with one of my other brushes that has many uses in on it.

I'll have to watch SharpSpine's ultra lather videos again. I never did fully watch them...

and yes, my razor was clogging like crazy. I'd have to stop every few strokes, remove the blade, rinse off the blade, rinse off the inside of the head and go back to work.

something I forgot to mention in my OP is I think I may be allergic to something in the KMF lavender shaving cream. I've used all of the other products I used in my shave last night before without any issues (alum block, 444 ASB, ach brito glyce pre-shave soap and proraso pre-shave cream) except for the KMF.

(08-30-2012, 06:47 PM)Azarius Wrote: Glad to see that your face is healing up Andrew. I have never tried to shave with that much beard growth, I have always used a beard trimmer to reduce down to a heavy shadow before putting a blade to my face.

Your beard type and patterns are very similar to mine, except mine is gray and wiry. I like to make a much thicker and slicker looking lather. I will work it in and then will allow it to set on my beard for a good five minutes before I shave.

Witch hazel and Alum has always worked well for me in getting my face back to being shave ready.

Good luck brother, I know how it feels to have your face chewed up from a razor/blade combo that did not agree with your face.

thanks. I personally hate seeing the bumps here and there. Teiste recommended using some aloe vera gel on my face to help heal it up. I got some aloe plants in my house that I'll have to break a leaf off of and try it out.

I have witch hazel, but haven't used it in a while. do you use both witch hazel and an alum block after the shave?

(08-30-2012, 07:06 PM)celestino Wrote: Andrew, i would have to agree you need a more thicker lather for cushion; more product and more water. Two suggestions, possibly a better soap, tallow based, such as Mike's or Mystic Water, or Krissy's soaps, also more product using a better brush;
lastly, have you picked up some unrefined shea butter, yet? that would really speed up the healing process.
Good luck, my friend.

sfcablecar just sent me a sample of Mike's Natural Soap. Maybe I'll try that for my shave on Wednesday night. I also have some PC soap that I need to find.

I was using the TSN LE Semogue brush. It only has 2 actual complete lathers on it so I may need to break it in quite a bit more for it to work up a nice, creamy lather. could also be more or the product as well.

I have PdP pure shea butter. I haven't ordered any of the USB yet.

(08-30-2012, 07:33 PM)gijames Wrote: Andrew- dude!

I definitely would not start with that much hair,

curious though, longer stubble seems to help me generate lather on my face well- especially with my Vulfix 660S medium brush.

I would think short strokes for your growth pattern, hair shaft-thickness, would work best.

your choice of razor and blade for this shave seems like a good combo to continue trying- the *stiffer* SE blades help me out greatly, when I have longer stubble.

In your hair/growth type, I would think an SE razor would be a better shave.

YOU GOT SOME SWIRLEYS!
Biggrin

that length of growth is about common for me. sometimes I go longer to 2-3 weeks out rather than 10 days.

I think the problem might of been that I was using a new brush (TSN LE) and a new shaving cream (KMF).

I also agree that the SE blades seem to be better for my hair. I have a bunch of injectors and 4-5 SE razors.

and yes, the swirleys are everywhere..lol

40 5,830
 08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
User Info
I once had an all over bad shave with many bumps similar to yours. The one time it happened, I left my pre-shave glycerine soap on for too long, and I could feel my face was irritated before I even started shaving. How long do you leave your pre-shave soap on for?

1 168
 08-31-2012, 02:48 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I made the mistake of trying Musgo cream again yesterday and have little red bumps all over my face today so I can definitely sympathize. Any other cream I have a reaction to just makes my face red, but Musgo gives me red bumps all over. I wanted to try it again so I could buy one or two of the new scents, but I think I have to pass now.

116 3,804
 08-31-2012, 05:17 PM
User Info
I made two test lathers using my TSN LE brush with the KMF earlier in the evening and it was creamy and slick. I think the problem with the lather I had when I shaved the other night was that I didn't soak my brush long enough and I didn't use enough product. I have EXTREMELY hard water here so I guess more product is the better way to go.

(08-31-2012, 02:30 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote: I once had an all over bad shave with many bumps similar to yours. The one time it happened, I left my pre-shave glycerine soap on for too long, and I could feel my face was irritated before I even started shaving. How long do you leave your pre-shave soap on for?

I wet my face and my hands, rub the glyce soap in my hands to make a lather, then rub it into my face for probably a minute or so an immediately wash it off, apply pre-shave cream or oil and then face lather.

(08-31-2012, 02:48 PM)Dave Wrote: I made the mistake of trying Musgo cream again yesterday and have little red bumps all over my face today so I can definitely sympathize. Any other cream I have a reaction to just makes my face red, but Musgo gives me red bumps all over. I wanted to try it again so I could buy one or two of the new scents, but I think I have to pass now.

I think for my next shave I'm going to try everything again except the KMF and then go back to it. If my face has a reaction, I know it's something other than the KMF.

40 5,830
 09-01-2012, 11:44 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(08-31-2012, 05:17 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I made two test lathers using my TSN LE brush with the KMF earlier in the evening and it was creamy and slick. I think the problem with the lather I had when I shaved the other night was that I didn't soak my brush long enough and I didn't use enough product. I have EXTREMELY hard water here so I guess more product is the better way to go.

I wet my face and my hands, rub the glyce soap in my hands to make a lather, then rub it into my face for probably a minute or so an immediately wash it off, apply pre-shave cream or oil and then face lather.

I think for my next shave I'm going to try everything again except the KMF and then go back to it. If my face has a reaction, I know it's something other than the KMF.

Andrew, thank you for sharing your steps and especially adding your pics... this type of feedback is AWESOME!

I too, have found for me, that the TSN LE 2012 brush needs more soaking (10-15 minutes on my last use), more product (even though I have only slightly hard water- rated a 17.9 on the hardness scale)
I shook out that brush after soaking, squeezed gently at the knot, loaded the brush, and only added very small amounts of water to build my lather. It turned out fantastic! (used my Proraso green tube cream (old school!)

9 1,684
 09-01-2012, 12:07 PM
User Info
(09-01-2012, 11:44 AM)gijames Wrote:
(08-31-2012, 05:17 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I made two test lathers using my TSN LE brush with the KMF earlier in the evening and it was creamy and slick. I think the problem with the lather I had when I shaved the other night was that I didn't soak my brush long enough and I didn't use enough product. I have EXTREMELY hard water here so I guess more product is the better way to go.

Andrew, thank you for sharing your steps and especially adding your pics... this type of feedback is AWESOME!

I too, have found for me, that the TSN LE 2012 brush needs more soaking (10-15 minutes on my last use), more product (even though I have only slightly hard water- rated a 17.9 on the hardness scale)
I shook out that brush after soaking, squeezed gently at the knot, loaded the brush, and only added very small amounts of water to build my lather. It turned out fantastic! (used my Proraso green tube cream (old school!)

I may do a lathering video for TSN's youtube channel of myself using the TSN LE brush and KMF.

I'm just wondering how I'll set up my phone to record the video since it doesn't have a stand. hmn.....

40 5,830
 09-01-2012, 01:17 PM
User Info
(09-01-2012, 12:07 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: <snip>
I'm just wondering how I'll set up my phone to record the video since it doesn't have a stand. hmn.....

Tape it to something?

32 6,309
 09-01-2012, 06:09 PM
User Info
(09-01-2012, 01:17 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:

Tape it to something?

* Great practical solution, Brian.

75 20,883
 09-01-2012, 06:18 PM
User Info
(09-01-2012, 01:17 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:

Tape it to something?

LOL.

I think I found a solution that I'll try out once my brush is done soaking.

40 5,830
 09-02-2012, 12:55 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Andrew, when I see your beard and face, I realize just how fortunate I am in that regard. My beard is light and not nearly as wiry as yours so my shaves tend to be more forgiving. Thanks for doing this picture synopsis of your shave.

2 11,211