12-28-2017, 10:34 AM
User Info
A repost from another blog of mine, from 2010 - with some pictures from other posts on that blog added - brought on by the fact that a friend of mine is deploying on a UN Mission in Africa soon...

It is something very satisfying to whip up your own lather before shaving... to see a tiny bit of shaving cream and a few drops of water turn into a nice, thick, rich and nice smelling lather. The slightly cool feel as the eucalyptus and menthol lather first touches, and then covers, most of the face - and then taking it off with long, controlled strokes with my old fashioned safety razor. A quick splash of water, and then the sting of the alum as it finds the small nicks and scratches that I couldn't see in the mirror.

It don't matter if the lather cup I use is a bright pink snack bow from Ikea. It don't matter if my brush is a reasonably cheap one from Body Shop. It don't even matter that my bathroom is a 'three toilets, three showers' shared ablution container that - frankly - is a bit run down. What matters is that it's five minutes of ManTime, and a link to my more or less daily routine at home. Try that with a spray can full of foam and plastic razors with five blades...

[Image: RDSCN0183.JPG]
[Image: RDSCN0308.jpg]
[Image: RDSCN0399.JPG]
[Image: RDSCN0406.JPG]

3 4,805
 12-28-2017, 11:02 AM
User Info
Hans, where are you and what are you doing there?  Is that you on the left?

51 6,640
 12-28-2017, 11:03 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Well done, Hans. What happened to the road and bridge? It looks like it could have been natural or man-made disaster.

7 2,449
 12-28-2017, 11:19 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Hans, you are an honorable man.

179 24,111
 12-28-2017, 11:25 AM
User Info
(12-28-2017, 11:02 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Hans, where are you and what are you doing there?  Is that you on the left?

What would make you think that's him on the left?
Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm

34 596
 12-28-2017, 11:31 AM
User Info
In and around Yei, South Suday, 2010-2011, UN Military Observer (UNMO) in the run up to and during the separation from Sudan. Twelve months away from home, and directly responsible for me starting traditional wetshaving; I was worried over not being able to get replacement carts, and my Better Half suggested I look into DE since she figured they would be available even in less developed countries.

Quite correct in identifying me on the far left, the three others in uniform are (from left), UNMOs from Tanzania and Sierra Leone, and the National Monitor from South Sudan. Picture taken on a short duration patrol (ie: a patrol where we did not spend a night away from the Team Site) where we just followed a road into the hinterlands until it stopped at a small homestead. I was the first white person the children living there had ever seen.

The bridge is basically what happens after a couple of decades of war; neglect of infrastructure - made worse by the climate. And that is what we considered a "good" bridge - we could get over it in our cars.

Top photo is from one of my Laundry Days; in my Team Site there was no washing machines or tumble dryers, so I had to do all by hand the says it wasn't raining.

3 4,805
 12-28-2017, 11:32 AM
User Info
(12-28-2017, 11:25 AM)LuvWetShavin Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 11:02 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Hans, where are you and what are you doing there?  Is that you on the left?

What would make you think that's him on the left?

Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm

Must be my goatee  Tongue

3 4,805
 12-28-2017, 03:02 PM
User Info
Looks like a beautiful country.

0 1,108
 12-28-2017, 08:46 PM
User Info
The part of South Sudan I was stationed in was very lush and green (less so in the dry season), but also very poor, lacking in infrastructure, and with most people clinging to life by subsistence farming... lots of potential, for sure, but without the keys to unlock it.

But it was the time and place my habit of traditional wetshaving got well and truly entrenched in me Smile

3 4,805
 12-28-2017, 09:22 PM
User Info
Bless you, Hans. May all your shaves be smooth and irritation-free! Wave1

0 119