12-28-2017, 09:32 PM
  • NICKED
  • New Westminster BC Canada
User Info
[Image: QfFPegT.jpg][Image: hGNsUn7.jpg]
[Image: 38ZVMLZ.jpg][Image: ZWMcdDx.jpg]
[Image: CWOnOD4.jpg][Image: 61dXL0U.jpg][Image: hY8ZqAv.jpg][Image: CMukAGi.jpg]
[Image: 78AXr5k.jpg][Image: Jt4bV4c.jpg][Image: U1vGWqN.jpg][Image: c4vWEfV.jpg]

I want to share with you the latest addition to my collection and shave lineup. A vintage Kirby, Beard & Co. Paris razor set. The set is a Christmas gift from my wife. Purchased at a local Antique Fair and hidden until now.

The Razor is dated 1933 (Serial #109033) and features  a scalloped head cap, a continuous solid guard bar, and knurled handle. The set consists of, the razor, case and chrome blade holder (unmarked) and three Kirby blades, (unused) all in beautiful condition, see pictures. According to a Badger and Blade article on their website, the knurled model was produced from at least 1928 into the early 1950s. It is also suggested in the B&B article that KBC razors (knurled model) may have been designed and made for the Kirby Beard Company, by Leresche, makers of some of the world’s finest open comb razors, at their factory in the town of Saint Julien du Sault, France. Kirby, Beard Company established a large factory, the Ravenhurst Works, in Birmingham, but its main retail store was in Paris at 5 Rue Auber. KBC flourished throughout the 20s and 30s, but the company's luck ran out with the outbreak of World War II. Disaster struck on the night of December 4, 1940, when the Ravenhurst Works were devastated by German bombers. Three weeks later, the company headquarters in London, and a warehouse, were heavily damaged as well. KBC never recovered. After the war, the factory was partially rebuilt, but a combination of poor investment decisions and a weak post-war market drove the company under, it was bought out in 1957 by its long-time competitor in the pins-and-needles business, Goodman.

The above information is from the Badger and Blade website. Check out this great site and the excellent article on Kirby & Leresche Razors.
I will being trying the razor later, after I finish cleaning and sanitizing it.  I will post the results.

0 26
 12-28-2017, 10:07 PM
User Info
Beautiful set! Congratulations!

0 22
 12-28-2017, 11:17 PM
User Info
Nice.

3 114
 12-29-2017, 04:28 PM
User Info
Congrats on the find. They are excellent shavers.

7 571