12-29-2017, 09:32 AM
User Info
I used DEs exclusively from 2009 until early July of this year, when I finally learned the pleasures of a good GEM shave.  About a month later, I was also introduced to the AC format, which I also enjoyed.  

Now I have DEs, SEs, and AC razors, and I enjoy them all.  

So, recently I made the decision to rotate not just razors, but also FORMATS.  So, I shave with a DE until it's time for the blade to be replaced (usually about a week for me).  Then, I fire up an AC razor with a Schick Proline and shave with that until the blade tugs (usually 4-5 days for me).  Finally, I fire up an SE with a GEM blade and use that every day until the blade is dull (5-7 days).  Then back to DE.  

This way, I get to enjoy all three formats and get to rotate through my razors in each format.  I've been doing this for about a month now and I'm really enjoying it. 

Does anybody else rotate razor format in a similar fashion?

2 1,590
 12-29-2017, 11:38 AM
User Info
I like your idea. A nice way to use different type razors. One point though: this does not guarantee all your razors are used equally often: with ten DE's and 2 AC's the AC's get used five times as often. For my straights I had a list of razors, and a script that chose a random razor, and removed it from the list. When all razors were gone, ie all had had their turn, the list was remade. Repeat.
DE's is easier. I pick one I haven't used before.

3 114
 12-29-2017, 05:25 PM
User Info
I rotate but I do it daily rather than weekly between DE, AC, GEM and Injector and in no particular order. I just pick one I want to use that day and ether go for a DFS or a BBS depending on the time and day.

0 159
 12-29-2017, 10:31 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I have fairly fixed rotation.  (aggressive, mild, mild OC, medium aggressive, mild OC).  Rotation changes for shave quality needs, time, etc.

5 441
 12-30-2017, 08:47 AM
User Info
I have about 7 DE’s, 4 SE’s, and 1 GEM. I’m bald so I like shaving the dome and face 2x a week and prefer the SE for that. The other 4 days I chose one of my DE’s and rotate them out weekly. I go through 1 AC/GEM blade a month and 1 DE a week. Seems to be working well for me. Just started this rotation about a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 94
 01-04-2018, 06:55 PM
User Info
I do a similar kind of rotation. I will shave with a randomly selected DE (though I rarely go for the same one twice in a row) until the blade is dull, then I switch to my RazoRock SS Hawk DLC (AC blades), then once that blade is dull I'll switch back to another DE, etc. It just provides a bit more variety and doesn't let me get lazy with technique, as both kind of razors require different angles/pressure.

0 39
 01-04-2018, 07:52 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
All y'all need to work some injector razors into your rotations...

6 402
 01-05-2018, 08:46 AM
User Info
So now I've messed with my carefully planned rotation by introducing a Feather SS kamisori (non-folding straight razor/shavette that takes AC blades) into the mix!  As I am just learning, I am still using my regular razors to complete the shave, or to do the difficult areas, and what not.  

It's been challenging, but fun so far.  No major disasters, so I think I'm doing OK.

2 1,590
 01-05-2018, 10:10 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Good thread/concept. I have three styles of safety razors, DE, Gem and injectors. I attempted a rotation similar to what you suggest. After three or so years of trying, I’ve basically dropped the Gem format from my rotation. But I’m okay with that. They’re just not my cup of tea. So now I rotate through about a half dozen of my DEs with varying degrees of face time, and two Schicks, a 1940s and a mid 50s. Also in rotation with the razors is blade choice, which adds a lot to the variability. My DE blade rotation is about half a dozen varieties. I have settled on Chicks over the Personna injector blades.

7 2,438
 01-06-2018, 03:01 AM
User Info
Once I go through my stash of 2000 plus de blades then I’ll be done with de razors and they will be permanently retired . I’ve tried one injector razor (the general) and while it’s an good shaver it isn’t irritation free (for me). I have an ATT gem razor coming and if that razor works out then I will most likely purchase the Sabre gem razor as well. So far the Genesis is the only razor that gives me an irritation free shave and that simply will not do. I enjoy variety in my life and it’s not a rotation with just one razor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 140