12-31-2017, 01:20 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
The script suggests it's from the 1970s-80s.

It's size? Well, between 12 and 14... It has the black cup, indicating "High Mountain White"... and check out the loft (yellowed a bit over time).

But what makes it different? The handle ... is SMOKY BROWN...!!

Anyone ever seen a Plexi in anything other than clear "Cristal"? 

Pictures (scroll down):

[Image: nosU2Ff.jpg]
[Image: bKGyrZp.jpg]

0 1,876
 12-31-2017, 05:59 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Maybe driven by storage conditions? Below its brother:

[Image: FH1Fbqz.jpg]

39 1,920
 12-31-2017, 06:02 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
No, it's brown all the way through. If it had been storage or some other environmental factor, it would have occurred with other brushes having plexi handles. Plus using it (soap, hot water) would have kept it relatively clean. Note how on your (beautiful) brush the script is brown against a white/clear background? Now check mine: light script against a brown background. No accident. Smile

0 1,876
 12-31-2017, 07:47 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Maybe it's too flabbergasting a discovery? Wink Wink

0 1,876
 12-31-2017, 08:15 PM
User Info
I am guessing it was not that color originally but I would guess it is sun damage. I am not sure by any means but thats my hunch. Anyways, damn that looks like nice hair and very shapely. It looks like it could have some nice backbone. Is this yours yet Shaun?

82 1,401
 12-31-2017, 08:58 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(12-31-2017, 08:15 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I am guessing it was not that color originally but I would guess it is sun damage. I am not sure by any means but thats my hunch. Anyways, damn that looks like nice hair and very shapely. It looks like it could have some nice backbone. Is this yours yet Shaun?

Nope, not damaged. It’s the original, groovy 1970s colour. The base is the same as the sides. Had it been caused by environmental factors, we’d see other examples. The script is lighter to emphasise the tone. I know it’s a rarity. Two responses to date puts the colour down to ‘damage’; it isn’t damaged: it’s that colour. Sun damage would have been more likely to damage the hair, and the loft is in A1 condition.

Plexi is plexiglass, and doesn't change colour, fade:

https://classroom.synonym.com/effects-of...80213.html

And from another site on the chemistry of Plexiglass:

"The better-known derivative of methacrylic acid, polymethyl methacrylate, was not introduced until 1936 as a transparent sheet and in 1937 as a molding powder. Thus the beginning of the acrylic era and Plexiglas. Acrylic sheet played an important role in World War II as bullet resistant glazing in our warplanes. It was found to be light and very strong and could be easily formed to fit into the structural designs of the aircraft. To this day, the Plexiglas windows in those planes are still clear and free from yellowing; weatherability of Plexiglas is one of its most well known traits, something no other plastic glazing can match."

0 1,876
 12-31-2017, 09:01 PM
User Info
(12-31-2017, 08:58 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(12-31-2017, 08:15 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I am guessing it was not that color originally but I would guess it is sun damage. I am not sure by any means but thats my hunch. Anyways, damn that looks like nice hair and very shapely. It looks like it could have some nice backbone. Is this yours yet Shaun?

Nope, not damaged. It’s the original groovy 1970s colour. The base is the same as the sides. Had it been caused by environmental factors, we’s see other examples. The script is lighter to emphasise the tone. I know it’sa rarity. Two responses to date puts the colour down to ‘damage’ ? It isn’t damaged: it’s that colour. Sun damage would have been more likely to damage the hair, and the loft is in A1 condition. ?

Well regardless, the color to me of the plexi isn't off-putting, but just different. It wouldn't deter me if I could get one.

82 1,401
 12-31-2017, 09:06 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(12-31-2017, 09:01 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(12-31-2017, 08:58 PM)Shaun Wrote:

Nope, not damaged. It’s the original groovy 1970s colour. The base is the same as the sides. Had it been caused by environmental factors, we’s see other examples. The script is lighter to emphasise the tone. I know it’sa rarity. Two responses to date puts the colour down to ‘damage’ ? It isn’t damaged: it’s that colour. Sun damage would have been more likely to damage the hair, and the loft is in A1 condition. ?

Well regardless, the color to me of the plexi isn't off-putting, but just different. It wouldn't deter me if I could get one.
Well exactly. I love it. See my post above: Plexiglass isn't affected by the sun Smile

0 1,876
 12-31-2017, 09:09 PM
User Info
It's cool to see that you are able to find so much NOS and get it down to Australia. It will be nice to see some bloom shots after some use. Please share in the future how it does for you.

82 1,401
 12-31-2017, 09:55 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(12-31-2017, 09:09 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: It's cool to see that you are able to find so much NOS and get it down to Australia. It will be nice to see some bloom shots after some use. Please share in the future how it does for you.

I shall, and I'm glad of the opportunity to explain the tone of the handle. I was in a bit of disbelief myself initially, but there you have it. I expect someone, some day, will produce another plexi-handled brush in a colour or tone other than pure crystal. Actually, I'm going to state that  the more I look at mine, the more I prefer it to crystal clear. Just kidding. I like them all.

Thank you for your chiming in on the thread. Smile 

And Happy New Year from Sydney Smile

0 1,876
 12-31-2017, 09:56 PM
  • pc4406
  • Vintage Shearer
  • San Francisco
User Info
That is a gorgeous brush and I have never seen one like it. I am a fan of the Plexi handle and this is indeed unique. Congratulations. The handle is special, but the vintage HMW knot comes from the glory years of Plisson. They made their reputation on knots like this.

74 308
 01-02-2018, 07:50 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Chaps, the Plisson arrived today and it is far better than I thought it would be. A truly superb specimen. I did use a little of the old formula Brasso to polish the scuff marks ... and no, there were no exposed 'clear' bits came through. This specimen is brown through and through, or 'marron' (chestnut) as the French would say, and is one of the most beautiful brushes I have seen. 

The HMW (black cup or ferrule) 22mm x 51 knot is astonishing. Handle stands at 45mm. Hard to say what size it is, given the oddness of the specs, but let's call it a Size 13 Smile

I hate to gloat (untrue; I love it), and here are two new pictures, in bloom:

[Image: 2L9i02T.jpg]
[Image: VUxLM9e.jpg]

0 1,876
 01-02-2018, 08:52 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Congrats. And Happy New Year for sure.

60 1,653
 01-02-2018, 11:36 PM
User Info
I had more of a 2 banded (I think Euro White) like size. I am guessing that your's will be on the softer side and fairly enjoyable knot. Does the silver cup around the knot wiggle or is it snug in the plexi handle?

82 1,401
 01-03-2018, 02:03 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
The knot itself was slightly loose inside the cup, but after I had washed it, it tightened and is now completely solid. I had heard/read that knots in these Plexi cups do dry out quite a lot over the years, and tend to rattle slightly, but it's just a case of re-moisturising and then they are good as gold. 

It is a tremendously soft brush, yes, but has a shorter loft than usual, meaning it has good backbone at the same time. I have yet to use it and test it for lathering and yielding. Just for now, I'm still slowly buffing out scuffs here and there. It's really gleaming now.

0 1,876
 01-03-2018, 08:29 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Great thread! As always, an interesting read. Thank you.

7 2,441
 01-03-2018, 09:27 AM
User Info
A really gorgeous brush.  Shaun -- you have a knack for finding some great vintage brushes!

22 1,921
 01-03-2018, 02:45 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
 01-03-2018, 02:48 PM
User Info
Interesting.

Congratulations.

10 1,479
 01-03-2018, 03:04 PM
User Info