01-04-2018, 12:29 PM
User Info
Another great find! Congratulations!  Hard to beat that vintage Plisson hair!  I loved mine while I owned them!

[Image: sh4QyDF.jpg]

[Image: GqzcQ1M.jpg]

[Image: qcv74Gx.jpg]

75 2,370
 01-04-2018, 01:00 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Is that horn Plisson still in your possession?

43 2,014
 01-05-2018, 04:05 AM
User Info
(01-04-2018, 01:00 PM)German Wrote: Is that horn Plisson still in your possession?

I don’t actually own any of them any more. The hair is simply magnificent and sorted amazingly well, alas no matter how many times I tried to get my self to live shaving with them it just never happened. I think if I were able to find a smaller, say size 12 or maybe 14 I’d enjoy it. Of the three pictured above the beehive had the most amazing hair. I purchased it NOS on eBay for only $100!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,370
 01-05-2018, 07:01 AM
User Info
(01-05-2018, 04:05 AM)merkur man Wrote: I don’t actually own any of them any more. The hair is simply magnificent and sorted amazingly well, alas no matter how many times I tried to get my self to live shaving with them it just never happened. I think if I were able to find a smaller, say size 12 or maybe 14 I’d enjoy it. Of the three pictured above the beehive had the most amazing hair. I purchased it NOS on eBay for only $100!

Nathan, do you mean to imply that the brushes were to large for you? I wish I would have known. Smile
What were their sizes, by the way?

87 21,180
 01-05-2018, 07:29 AM
User Info
(01-05-2018, 07:01 AM)celestino Wrote:
(01-05-2018, 04:05 AM)merkur man Wrote: I don’t actually own any of them any more. The hair is simply magnificent and sorted amazingly well, alas no matter how many times I tried to get my self to live shaving with them it just never happened. I think if I were able to find a smaller, say size 12 or maybe 14 I’d enjoy it. Of the three pictured above the beehive had the most amazing hair. I purchased it NOS on eBay for only $100!

Nathan, do you mean to imply that the brushes were to large for you? I wish I would have known. Smile
What were their sizes, by the way?

I guess that is what I’m implying Celestino, and I enjoy big brushes too! The loft is just wrong for me. That size 20 horn handled brush pictured above, even though it is bulb shaped, would place lather from the lower border of your jaw bone to just below your eye with minimal pressure! Just HUGE! I wish I could reduce the loft by 5-10 mm on every Plisson I’ve owned. Then they’d be perfect, for me anyway. I know people will chime in to say “The hair is different with Plisson, and the loft is calculated and set to get the best performance from the hair.” and “The hair is too springy to be used in lower lofts.” Having used these vintage brushes a good amount I beg to differ. The hair is incredibly soft and doesn’t have anywhere near the back bone everyone for some reason thinks it does. Although the look is similar to Rooney Finest, the hair is nowhere near as springy and thus I find the loft to be a major detriment to their performance and my main reason for letting these brushes go. This is another reason I’d like to try a smaller one. At these lofts, the face feel of a 20mm knot would likely give the face feel of a 26-28 mm knot, right in my sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,370
 01-05-2018, 07:43 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Great find!! Thanks for sharing it!! Enjoy!

4 3,025
 01-05-2018, 02:13 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(01-05-2018, 07:43 AM)Coyote Wrote: Great find!! Thanks for sharing it!! Enjoy!

Thanks Bob, yes. I also enjoyed reading the many threads here and elsewhere on the plexi-handled Plissons, inluding your own, which I assume you still have? I did use mine yesterday and the size was just right for me. The handle was just fine in my hand, and the loft! I ended up with so much lather I felt I was being wasteful!

0 1,961
 01-19-2018, 02:33 AM
User Info
Great find indeed ! I had the pleasure to help Shaun with this purchase, so I had the brush in hand, truely a marvel. And I concur, the color is absolutely natural and original ! A rare bird, congrats on this lovely acquisition !

3 267
 01-19-2018, 02:53 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-19-2018, 02:33 AM)Cha-wing!! Wrote: Great find indeed ! I had the pleasure to help Shaun with this purchase, so I had the brush in hand, truely a marvel. And I concur, the color is absolutely natural and original ! A rare bird, congrats on this lovely acquisition !

Yes, and a very open thank you to a true gentleman! I am very grateful to you, T.

I have now a clear 'cristal' plexi to compare it with. This chestnut example is slightly wider, side on, than the usual size 10, and has a 22, not 20mm knot. It may have been a one-off commission (?)

0 1,961
 01-23-2018, 12:32 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
I have been using this brush with a variety of soaps and it really is a lather machine. The loft really is incredibly soft on the face, and loads and yields very well indeed. It has good backbone, too.
I really have no trouble with the handle at all, ergonomically speaking, and actually find it really rather good, but I can well imagine there would be issues with much larger sizes. I don’t think a larger brush would offer me any better lathering in all honesty, but of course we each have our preferences. A huge brush with one of these older, super lofts? I’d love to try, some day, anyway just for the experience!

0 1,961
 01-23-2018, 11:26 AM
User Info
(01-23-2018, 12:32 AM)Shaun Wrote: I have been using this brush with a variety of soaps and it really is a lather machine. The loft really is incredibly soft on the face, and loads and yields very well indeed. It has good backbone, too.
I really have no trouble with the handle at all, ergonomically speaking, and actually find it really rather good, but I can well imagine there would be issues with much larger sizes. I don’t think a larger brush would offer me any better lathering, in all honesty, but of course, we each have our preferences. A huge brush with one of these older, super lofts? I’d love to try, some day, just to see!

I agree, those smaller Plisson brushes are excellent.  The average Joe hears about the 20-22 mm knot size and instantly decides it is WAY TOO SMALL, when in reality a 20-22 mm knot diameter with a Plisson-Type loft feels like an excellent size on the face.  Glad to hear you're enjoying that beautiful brush.

75 2,370