08-30-2012, 03:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Vulfix London Series Boar Brushes

Vulfix makes a group of brushes called the London Series and in this series they make five boar brushes and they are the:

Burlington - Mayfair - Strand - Hyde Park - Piccadilly

This is a line of boar brushes you don't hear much about, and I cannot understand why, as they are excellent boar brushes.

They are different than the Semogue and Omega line of boar brushes in that they use a finer size boar hair. So much so, that after building your lather, it almost feels like a nice badger. The tips are very soft, it has enough backbone, and the flow through is excellent. Any of these five brushes will hold more than enough lather to do three passes if needed.

If there were any downside at all it would be that I only know of one place that stocks all five on a regular basis, and that would be Connaught Shaving in the UK. However, they are one of the finest European vendors out there and their service is on par with our own BullGoose.

Now, lets take a look at the dimensions everyone is always interested in.

The Burlington

Pure bristle shaving brush with a cream lathe-turned handle.
Knot diameter (At base): 22 mm
55 mm long handle
55 mm long bristles.

The Mayfair

Knot diameter (At base): 19 mm
50 mm long handle
50 mm long bristles.

The Strand

Knot diameter (At base): 22 mm
45 mm long handle
50 mm long bristles.

The Hyde Park

Knot diameter (At base): 20 mm
35 mm long handle
50 mm long bristles.

The Piccadilly

Knot diameter (At base): 19 mm
38 mm long handle
50 mm long bristles.

Now the Piccadilly has an added feature as for as I'm concerned, it makes an excellent travel brush and fits perfectively inside one of the Vulfix Travel Tubes.

If you like using boar brushes or are wanting to make the transition from badger to boar, I highly recommend you give one of these Vulfix London Series Boar Brushes a try. I use all five on a regular rotation and have never been sorry I bought them.

173 23,540
 08-30-2012, 04:09 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
NICE Johnny,very nice write up and pics,my friend!
Which one if your favorite and why?And how they do perform with shaving creams?
I have used the Vulfix VS5 but Im afraid it wasn't as nice as these boar brushes.I actually have two Vulfix 20 mm boar knots somewhere looking for a handle...

86 7,123
 08-30-2012, 04:38 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You know Teiste, I would have to say the Burlington and the Mayfair are my favorite two. Not because in the quality of lather they build or the way they feel on the face, but for the design of the handles. They just feel right in your hand.

Now I do not face lather and build my lather in a bowl/scuttle for both hard soaps and creams. I have used all of these brushes with MWF, MdC, and TABAC soap as well as most all of my creams from Speick to Palmolive, and these brushes work equally as well with soaps or creams.

For my use, I can find no fault in them.

173 23,540
 08-30-2012, 04:40 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Very fascinating write up, Johnny. I didn't even realize this series came in boar, I had only ever seen them in pure badger over at shoeboxshaveshop. They are rather nice looking brushes and you description of them being finer boar hairs has me intrigued. Definitely something to store in the back of my mind for further on down the road.

35 1,732
 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I really like those handles and the Burlington looks like the Grosvenor,maybe slimmer.
Johnny,seems that you are a boar man now!

86 7,123
 08-30-2012, 04:59 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The Burlington is a miniature Grosvenor.

Yes, I am a boar who_ _, oh never mind. Yes I am.Biggrin

173 23,540
 08-30-2012, 05:16 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Great thread Johnny! Thanks for sharing

45 16,346
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
An excellent review, Johnny. The only Vulfix I have is the Grosvenor 404 but that, of course, is a blend of badger and boar.

2 11,211
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Such a fantastic Post. We hear so much about the Mixed Grosvenor and the Badgers, but never about the boars. Thanks for a terrific bit of info and really well done.

116 3,804
 08-30-2012, 05:36 PM
User Info
The Burlington and Mayfair are some sharp-looking handles. Thanks for sharing.

47 1,270
 08-30-2012, 05:39 PM
User Info
Great review, Johnny!

75 20,883
 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM
User Info
I've seen them a few times on Connaught (a frequent site for me) and have often wondered what the quality was.

might be time to add one.

thanks

8 2,718
 08-30-2012, 06:47 PM
User Info
Nice write up Johnny. I had a Vulfix 2231 boar from Connaught and really enjoyed the softness that you speak of. The problem I had with mine was that I always had to reload the brush before the third pass, which I'm sure was due to it being only a 19mm knot. I really dig the Burlington and may get that next time. Thanks.

0 241
 08-30-2012, 08:59 PM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Great write up and pics!

I have the Hyde Park which I picked up from Connaught some time back. I have really warmed up to the brush in the last couple of months. It seems to be well broken in now. The tips are softer than my Semogue but it does not have as much backbone nor does it seem to be as dense.
That is probably my biggest complaint about the brush - I too have to reload before a 3rd pass.

But all in all, I'm happy with the Hyde Park. And it is a good value at the price point.

19 591
 08-30-2012, 09:45 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You are correct, it does not have as much backbone as the Semogue as the knot is set deeper in the handle, and you are also correct about it not being as dense as the Semogue.

If you build lather in a bowl/scuttle, as your whipping up lather force lather up in to the brush by gently pushing the brush down in to the lather. Do this several times while whipping up the lather and you should have enough for three passes.

The brush works great when putting the lather on in a back and forth stroking motion, instead of a circular motion.

173 23,540
 08-31-2012, 12:48 AM
User Info
Nice review!
I got the Strand back in '09, but I've not been using it much. I found the brush to small, both handle and knot. I don't have any trouble creating lather from either soap or cream, though. I just prefer the bigger boar brushes. If i was to give the Vulfix boar another go, it would have to be the Burlington.

0 57
 08-31-2012, 05:59 AM
User Info
A very good review, Johnny! Congratulations!

I had a 100% Vulfix boar in the past. A 2234h with a gorgeous handle.
But it was short on density and backbone, specially when compared with my Omegas and Semogues. So, I ended up reknotting it...

One day, I may have to pull the trigger on the Burlington, I like the handle, and I can always reknot it if I don't like the knot...

And to complete the series, there was also a 100% boar "Grosvenor", although it seems to be not available at the moment at Connaughtshaving...

2 5,532
 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM
User Info
Johnny, beautiful collection!
I swear on my Vulfix Piccadilly boar brush, it is just perfect for face-lathering.

0 112
 08-31-2012, 08:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(08-31-2012, 08:16 AM)infabo Wrote: Johnny, beautiful collection!
I swear on my Vulfix Piccadilly boar brush, it is just perfect for face-lathering.

Your picture in your avatar and the comments you made with the larger picture is what got me interested in the London Series Boar Brushes.

Thanks

173 23,540
 08-31-2012, 08:55 AM
User Info
My pleasure Cool

(08-30-2012, 03:50 PM)Johnny Wrote: This is a line of boar brushes you don't hear much about, and I cannot understand why, as they are excellent boar brushes.

They are different than the Semogue and Omega line of boar brushes in that they use a finer size boar hair. So much so, that after building your lather, it almost feels like a nice badger. The tips are very soft, it has enough backbone, and the flow through is excellent. Any of these five brushes will hold more than enough lather to do three passes if needed.

Absolutely and nothing more to say. Exact the same observations I made myself. They may be not the most luxurious boar brushes available - but they are definitely excellent performers. I got mine from connaught over eBay for about 10€ shipped. A steal. Soft tips, nice feel and a solid, lathe-turned handle. Incredible.

0 112