12-31-2017, 06:38 PM
User Info
Hello all. So, now that Ive gotten into straights, Im looking into honing. Now, Ive read a lot of people who say that you should leave honing to the pros but Ive watched a bunch of Youtube videos on it and honestly, it doesnt look that difficult.

So, now Im looking into getting a 220/1000 stone, 4000/8000 stone, 12000 stone and a lapping stone. At first, I was only going to get a 4000/8000 stone but then I read that you want the 1000 to set the bevel and want the 12000 for final polishing.
Am I absolutely insane for wanting to learn honing? I mean, it just doesnt look that difficult and it seems kind of silly to send my razors out for honing when I could just do it myself.
Thoughts?

0 37
 01-01-2018, 02:32 AM
User Info
If someone makes something look easy, it's usually because they know what they are doing... In my experience anyone can put an edge on a blade, bit it takes skill and experience to set up a good, even, long lasting edge that is equally sharp along the whole blade. And the only way to get that skill and experience is to - unsurprisingly - to do it. Just don't expect perfect result from the get-go... and never give up because you're not satisfied with the early result.

So no, you're not insane for wanting to learn it - just in for an interesting journey that can take a fair bit of time Smile

Caveat: I've never set up or sharpened a razor, just regular wood working tools, knifes and kitchen knifes. Related but different skill set, yet the principles of learning it should apply equally.

3 4,797
 01-01-2018, 06:37 AM
User Info
Sharpening a straight is not rocket science, if one has the skill and the razor is in good shape with no chips or geometry issues to correct a razor can be honed in under an hour from start to finish, the problems come from chips and frowns to correct.

As stated you have to practice, practice and practice, when I started several years ago I ruined lots of nice razors by over honing them on lower grit stones and to much pressure and it took awhile for that to soak in so you are better off getting an inexpensive razor to practice with to keep hone wear off your nice razors.

As far as your stone selection anything below a 1K is not necessary unless doing serious restoration so as far as stones go a 1K, 4K,8k and some type f finisher is all that’s needed and the finisher can be your stone of choice either natural or synthetic.

As far as lapping goes you are better suited to get say an Atoma 400 plate to keep your stones flat as some tend to dish more than others.

And lastly my biggest recommendation is what I was told when i started “ Hone, Shave, Repeat” and if you get frustrated it’s best to walk away for awhile as you will do more harm than good and if all else fails send me your razors to hone. LOL

Honestly honing is very relaxing and enjoyable once one gets the feel for it but can also be frustrating at times, at one point i was honing 6+ razors a day and doing more HHT tests than you could ever imagine but in the end all that matters is the shave.

I am going to start off the new New with a fresh new shave and removing my mustache and then going to forgo shaving for awhile to grow out a light beard for cooler weather and while I am doing that I will hone the 16 razors I have in my current rotation, and lastly my suggestion would be is to get a razor honed by someone that knows how t hone so you have a baseline to compare to and the razor honed may not suit you as we all have different ideas on what Shave ready is as my shave ready might be different than yours due to how heavy your beard is and type of hair but it will give you a good idea.

6 1,428
 01-01-2018, 11:17 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
It's not rocket science. I wanted to get into honing but did not want to ruin any razors or purchase all of the stones necessary for a complete hone.   I only purchased a nice Jnat finisher. I send my razors out for professional honing when I receive them. I let the pros deal with geometry issues or any edge repairs (chips). Once honed, I use my Jnat to freshen up the edge when it becomes dull. I touched up the edge on two straights this weekend. It took me about 30 minutes total time. I like to take my time though. If I ever want to restore razors, I could always buy the lower grit stones to set bevels, etc. For now I am content with freshening up edges.

79 1,419
 01-01-2018, 02:21 PM
User Info
Get yourself a few el cheapo practice razors. Read threds on honign and watch vids. At first, ignore everything that sounds complicated: basically honing is pushing a razor up and down a stone, then another stone, then another. We all can do that.
Start with a blunt blade on grit 1000. Continue till the blade cuts armhair like it is not ther,. Te progress. Then shave.
Blunt the blade start again.
Compare.
Honing is easy, as long as ou learn your stones. So. Practice.
Go ahed, it is easy. It is fun. It is satisfactory. I went to work with several cuts being utterly satisfied: my first shave with a self honed blade.

3 114
 01-01-2018, 03:22 PM
User Info
Careful getting into honeing as buying just one finisher can turn into many more

[Image: 3CeiQRR.jpg]

6 1,428
 01-04-2018, 05:29 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
You don't have enough stones yet Will -  Biggrin

Cheers, Steve

7 546
 01-04-2018, 05:43 PM
User Info
(01-04-2018, 05:29 PM)Steve56 Wrote: You don't have enough stones yet Will -  Biggrin

Cheers, Steve

I would love to see your rock garden Steve, the kiita with the matched tomo’s has been my #1go to stone

6 1,428
 01-07-2018, 01:47 PM
User Info
(01-01-2018, 03:22 PM)Panther308 Wrote: Careful getting into honeing as buying just one finisher can turn into many more

[Image: 3CeiQRR.jpg]

That's where I'm afraid my next rabbit hole is leading!

0 174
 01-07-2018, 03:02 PM
User Info
I don't know how to hone but I see a some good advice here, I think if you are interested in honing you can learn how to do it, it just takes a lot of time, effort and practice.

When I was deciding to go into straight razor 4 years ago, one thing was holding me back was that I don't want to be sending out my razors for honing regularly and I found out in my research that a properly honed razor can be used indefinitely by touching up or refreshing the razors after a certain number of shaves.  I didn't have any interest in learning how to hone and still don't but I have been refreshing my razors since I started using straights and they still shave as good as the when they were newly honed.

18 471
 01-07-2018, 07:04 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(01-07-2018, 03:02 PM)CanuckShaver Wrote: I don't know how to hone but I see a some good advice here, I think if you are interested in honing you can learn how to do it, it just takes a lot of time, effort and practice.

When I was deciding to go into straight razor 4 years ago, one thing was holding me back was that I don't want to be sending out my razors for honing regularly and I found out in my research that a properly honed razor can be used indefinitely by touching up or refreshing the razors after a certain number of shaves.  I didn't have any interest in learning how to hone and still don't but I have been refreshing my razors since I started using straights and they still shave as good as the when they were newly honed.

What do you refresh on?

79 1,419
 01-08-2018, 04:32 AM
User Info
(01-07-2018, 07:04 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 03:02 PM)CanuckShaver Wrote: I don't know how to hone but I see a some good advice here, I think if you are interested in honing you can learn how to do it, it just takes a lot of time, effort and practice.

What do you refresh on?

A coticule.

18 471