08-30-2012, 04:31 PM
User Info
In Search of a Perfect Shave
Can New Products and Techniques Make Shaving Better? Calling Out the Myths

An interesting read although it primarily covers 'non-traditional' or mainstream shaving products - but it touches (briefly) on traditional wet shaving gear at the end.

I'm disappointed that they say things like "there isn't [a cure for nicks], unfortunately" - then mention alum blocks and styptic pencils, which are essentially a cure for nicks!

What I really dislike is that they seem to want to challenge the status quo in the article byline ('can new products and techniques make shaving better') but then the article reads more like a guided infomercial.

It is nice that they mentioned straights and DE razors at the end but it seems more of an afterthought - clearly there is no investigation done there.

0 95
 08-30-2012, 05:04 PM
User Info
I think by cure, they meant prevention.

9 2,987
 08-30-2012, 07:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Interesting article,but,anyway I think that we all agreed that traditional is better.

86 7,123
 08-30-2012, 08:24 PM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Interesting article if you want information on the new shaving methods and products. However, there could have been more emphasis on traditional wet shaving which helps minimize, many of the discomforts that they mention. Given that I have very sensitive skin, I was one who always tried the new products, especially the multi-bladed razors and all those shave gels. But as far as I am concerned more blades equals more pulling and gels are synonymous with alcohol; both recipes for more discomfort. I have only been wet shaving for 6 months, far from being an expert, however during this period I have probably experienced as much discomfort as I would have previously felt in a week's worth of shaving with the "modern" methods.

Again I am not knocking the new products or methods, but given we are all different in our tolerance of irritants, I cannot imagine myself ever abandoning the traditional wet shave method. It is just too good; closer shave coupled with less irritation. I would say that the only drawbacks are the additional time required and that it is a somewhat messier method. But when we weigh the pros and cons, we soon realize that a few more minutes out of our day can go a long way towards enhancing our appearance and giving us better conditioned skin. Anyways, Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108
 08-30-2012, 11:52 PM
User Info
Quote:It is a rare man who is pleased with his shave, or shaves happily.

Uhm... except for every single one in this forum, the other handful of shaving forums, and who knows how many happy wetshavers who don't join a forum?

Might it be more honest to say that it is a rare man useing a "modern" cartridge razor who is pleased with his shave, or shaves happily?

Quote:More Blades Equal a Better Shave. In general, yes, say shaving experts.

But if that is so, why does the tiny, tacked on section on the bottom say that using a DE razor means that: close shaving can generally be achieved with fewer strokes. ???

Is this what passes as journalism these days? Repackage the commercial blurb, put your name on it and publish? At least they got it 'right' as far as brushes goes... using a brush is better.

3 3,439
 08-31-2012, 04:47 AM
User Info
This nothing more then a big advertisement for Gillette and their cartridge products. Does nothing for the real wet shaving world or makes people aware of us and what we really use.

98 12,360
 08-31-2012, 10:51 AM
User Info
Could have been better written.

74 20,792
 08-31-2012, 01:11 PM
User Info
One thing to remember: Reporters can't make up quotes. If this is what this particular reporter's sources told him, that's what he has to write with. And if he didn't go out looking for wet shaving, he probably wouldn't stumble across it.

His e-mail address is at the bottom of the story. There are a lot of potential sources here...

0 98
 09-01-2012, 02:53 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Like much in the WSJ, the article isn't looking to discuss the subject objectively or in any depth. They just call up a big company and publish the PR. I am sure Gillette appreciated the exposure.

16 536
 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM
User Info
I think part of the issue is journalists seek out 'shaving experts' - who often tend to be Gillette's in house R&D team. Which, of course, will come out with conclusions like "More Blades Equal a Better Shave".

If only we had any scientists on the forum we could turn into 'shaving researchers'...

0 95
 09-04-2012, 05:06 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When is the last time you read a really good, well researched newspaper article? I'm trying to remember when I read one. Must have been at least 25-30 years ago, maybe longer.

173 23,290
 09-04-2012, 05:28 PM
User Info
Scroom all. The enlightened among us have seen the past. And it works! Aaaaa

0 554