05-23-2018, 07:37 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
Brushes like this spectacular Morris & Forndran 3XL seldom make it to our ReadyMade Collection. With all the commentary about favorite Face Lathering brushes appearing recently, we expect this unique brush to sell fairly quickly.  You can see more about it at http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes.

[Image: 49eGKDc.jpg]

[Image: WXx7Kos.jpg]

4 742
 05-30-2018, 10:05 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
We just added some different Morris & Forndran brushes to our ReadyMade Collection! Starting off is this outrageous 28mm HIghlander in faux horn, followed by a lovely 24mm Alternative Ivory Style 1 and a 28mm 2XL in amber resin. You can see more detail about these and other fine brushes at http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes

[Image: b5uc86C.jpg]

[Image: NlzElDZ.jpg]

[Image: eWdu7xk.jpg]

As always,  thanks for checking in!

4 742
 05-30-2018, 10:12 AM
User Info
That amber resin is hot!

0 15
 05-31-2018, 04:39 AM
User Info
That Horn Highlander is outstanding.

47 4,494
 06-01-2018, 02:22 AM
User Info
The Highlander in horn is great

0 11
 06-19-2018, 03:36 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
Sharing links to two "information" pages recently added to our website.  The first attempts to describe the knots we offer together with our subjective assessments of each:  both Morris & Forndran and BSSW, 2-bands and 3-bands. The second page goes "under the covers" offering an inside view of some of what goes on in our workshop.  (There's a LOT that goes on outside the workshop which, though time-consuming and essential, is about as interesting as watching paint dry; so we're just showing the interesting stuff.)

Nancy and I hope you find these pages interesting.

M&F and BSSW Knots and Properties

Our Process

4 742
 06-19-2018, 08:17 AM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
Brad do you sell your knots a la carte?  I have some vintage handles I am working on restoring.

0 290
 06-19-2018, 09:00 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(06-19-2018, 08:17 AM)Asafiev Wrote: Brad do you sell your knots a la carte?  I have some vintage handles I am working on restoring.

I'm happy to sell our 2-band Silvertip Fans and Bulbs a la carte; however right now I need all the 2-band Selects and 3-band Supers to fill existing and anticipated orders.  If that's OK, we can discuss privately.

4 742
 06-22-2018, 04:26 PM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
A custom piece headed to its new home:  Coral resin with an Amber resin belt filled with our 28mm 2-band Select fan.  Possibly the nicest Knight to come out of our workshop.

[Image: f4Kdok1.jpg]

[Image: N1kTbE4.jpg]

We could make more....

4 742
 06-22-2018, 04:31 PM
User Info
That's a really nice combination there. Like that little plug there at the end too...  Cool

30 852
 06-22-2018, 04:42 PM
User Info
Well done Brad.  Undoubtedly the new owner will be delighted.

53 7,812
 06-22-2018, 05:42 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Until that brush, I have never liked the 2nd color "belt" on brushes.

9 624
 06-22-2018, 06:02 PM
User Info
Just plain beautiful! 
Well done, Sir. 
Well done!
Jer

0 66
 06-22-2018, 06:55 PM
User Info
Beautiful work, Brad!

29 843
 06-24-2018, 06:49 PM
User Info
How bout a 28 Highlander in real horn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 399
 06-25-2018, 05:58 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(06-24-2018, 06:49 PM)DudeAbides Wrote: How bout a 28 Highlander in real horn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natural horn can be gorgeous--and we would love to make brush handles from it!  (Some makers--I think Plisson was (is?) one--have done this successfully.)  The obvious challenge has been finding raw material that's suitably dry, large enough, and free from checks, delaminations, and other defects.  There are also other considerations associated with natural horn that we'll get to shortly.  

I'll need to get a little technical for a moment.  In their original states, natural materials like horn and wood contain a certain amount of moisture.  As that moisture evaporates, the outer surfaces shrink faster than the underlying material causing longitudinal surface cracks and/or delaminations.  Many of us will remember how cracks plagued at least one maker of horn brushes, making his work the subject of much conversation on this and other forums.  

Another consideration is that "dry" horn tends to absorb moisture both from the outside as well as from the socket walls eventually causing similar cracks.  We have emails from folks asking advice and/or if we could repair brushes with these problems.  Sadly, any solution we can offer is, at best, temporary.  Coating the socket with a waterproof finish before setting the knot can help minimize interior absorption; but it still means the owner must exercise care not to soak the brush and to dry the handle after every use.  Coating the handle with microcrystaline and other waxes can help also; but these must be regularly re-applied in order to remain effective.  (Experience has shown that not everyone--including us--is able to exercise that degree of care.)

Earlier this year, I spoke at length with a potential supplier who swore up and down that he could supply "just what we need."  But he would not sell any samples and his minimum order amount was too high for us to take the gamble.

At present, cast polyester resins seem to offer the best combination of durability and aesthetic appeal.  Within limits, acrylics, Ebonite, powdered metal and/or mineral composites, and other materials can be made into very attractive, durable brushes; but our experience has been that none of these materials allow the broad flexibility of the materials we currently use to create our brushes.  

We keep looking and experimenting behind the scenes; but the bottom line is that Nancy and I want our brushes to be both beautiful and functional over the long haul.  We have invested a great deal of time, effort and money to build a reputation within the traditional shaving community--and we want our reputation to become even better.

I hope at least some of this helps.

4 742
 06-25-2018, 06:50 AM
User Info
Thanks for the info; Brad...….. Shy

0 513
 06-25-2018, 12:29 PM
User Info
Your material is really nice. 
I really am not sure what natural horn would have over the material you use now except for more "hobbying" type behavior such as doing more maintenance on the horn with oil etc...
Kind of like audiophiles who play CDs of music that they don't really like on their systems but do so to show off the sound.

0 333
 06-27-2018, 05:04 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
As busy as things have been with custom orders, we did manage to sneak one of the more popular brushes into our ReadyMade Collection: a stunning Amber and Lapis Luzuli 151 filled with our new Super Badger in Hybrid shape.  Details http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes 

[Image: K96eaEJ.jpg]

[Image: DRtWZw1.jpg]

4 742
 06-28-2018, 10:12 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
The brush to the right is my new BS Knight 28 in Coral, a single Amber ring with the select 1804A2F, this brush has moderate backbone with the softest of tips. To the left is a 151 28 with the same 1804A2F knot, this brush has medium backbone with the softest of tips. I could not be any more pleased.

Now, this is a hard decision, which one do I want to buy? 
[Image: lEKQVff.jpg]Photo: Vivian Miaer

54 629