01-01-2018, 10:12 AM
User Info
Although we took a couple days off for Christmas, we've  continued to take a hard look at ways to improve our service you:  our friends, patrons, and patrons-to-be. 

Our first effort will be to expand our ReadyMade Collection of Morris & Forndran and BSSW shaving brushes. (Which you can begin to see here.)  Secondly, we've been paying close attention both to customer feedback and comments about other brushes across the wet shaving forums. What we're seeing is more interest in what I'll call "firmer" 2-band knots (i.e., more backbone and moderate "scritch") and, on the flip side, we've also noticed increased awareness of the more luxurious 3-band Silvertips like those we offered two years ago--what one friend fondly calls "Unicorn Hair" (i.e., medium backbone with soft tips and minimal scritch.) To that end, we've been negotiating with our Chinese suppliers, and testing numerous knots to find knots that meet--and hopefully exceed--these differing requirements. We hope to have these knots in quantity by mid-February. (All are, of course, tied by hand by skilled artisans!)

Please know that we will be offering our current 2-band Silvertips (now designated as "1704C2x") while supplies last.

[Image: 1uMlUGC.jpg]
BSSW Ebony & Briarwood "Arley" with 1704C2F knot

For now, we do have a few of the new 2-band knots--designated "1712A2x Select Badger"--dense 2-bands with springy backbone and resilient tips--and a somewhat larger supply of the 3-band Silvertips, designated "1503B3x Special Badger." We will be offering both in our ReadyMade Collection.

[Image: TrGgE7Q.jpg]
A 28mm BSSW Horn & Briarwood Knight with 1712A2B Knot

[Image: oWAidjr.jpg]
A 26mm Briarwood Wanderer with 1503B3F knot and Alpolina & Tortoiseshell Knight with 1503B3B Knot

A quick word about our new knot coding system: for BSSW brushes listed beginning January 1, 2018, we have begun using are including a coding schema to facilitate comparison between our brushes and (perhaps) brushes from other makers. Our system is very simple: the first four digits indicate the year and month the knots were received. The fifth position is an internal code assigned to each the knot maker/supplier. The sixth indicates the number of bands while the seventh, shown above by an "x", denotes the knot shape: (B)ulb, (H)ybrid or (F)an profile.  You'll also see that we've begun measuring and publishing knot Free Loft (with Ken's kind permission!)  Most of us know that brush descriptions and comparisons are subjective are subject to numerous variables.  By instituting this schema, we hope to at least begin to make these descriptions (and comparisons) somewhat more meaningful.

With all of this, please be assured that we are continuing our relationship with Lee Sabini of Morris & Forndran! AND, as mentioned earlier, expanding our ReadyMade offerings of M&F brushes. In that regard, Lee tells us he's received some of the best 2-Band Finest Badger hair he's seen in years (all of which fills our current "ReadyMade" M&F brushes!) Lee is also planning to bring in more of his 3-Band "Super Badger."

All in all, 2018 is looking quite promising.  As always, your comments and suggestions are most welcome!

So for now, Nancy, Gus and I wish you a Happy, Safe and Prosperous New Year!

[Image: FsilVfQ.jpg]

Gus, our super-affectionate 11 month-old Labradoodle "puppy" (71lbs, 27 1/2" at the shoulder)

4 661
 01-01-2018, 05:45 PM
User Info
we just got a new poodle puppy.  expect about 50-55 lbs. standard female  thanks for the knot info.  pepper mill being used everyday.  affectionate lab goes without saying.  very good looking guy there

76 1,360
 01-02-2018, 05:37 AM
User Info
(01-01-2018, 05:45 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote: we just got a new poodle puppy.  expect about 50-55 lbs. standard female  thanks for the knot info.  pepper mill being used everyday.  affectionate lab goes without saying.  very good looking guy there

Congratulations on your new pup, Dave!  There was a butterscotch standard female ("Abby") in Gus's puppy and intermediate training classes.  She's a VERY smart pup with lots of energy.  I'm sure your little girl will keep you "engaged" as it were.

Separately, I'm glad you appreciate your pepper mill.  And delighted it went to someone who appreciates--and uses(!)--it.  

As you might imagine, I'm very happy with these knots--the new 2-bands especially.  From what Lee and I have seen, the 2017 Fall market seems to have produced some of the best hair in years.   Because the 2-bands are so good, I've requested a couple sample 3-bands to compare against our leftover 2015 stock.  We're cautiously optimistic--especially given the price--but we'll see. 

Anyway, please accept Nancy's and my best wishes for a very Happy and Prosperous New Year!

4 661
 01-03-2018, 06:30 AM
User Info
As an Update, our Chinese knot maker just advised that our new 1712A2x knots have just shipped.  We hope to have them in 1 - 2 weeks.

4 661
 01-03-2018, 07:55 AM
User Info
As someone who has been “away” from forums for a while I’m excited to see this. I’ve got several M&F brushes that I purchased directly from Mr. Sabini, and they are certainly treasures with decades of service left. It looks like things have changed (for the better) since 2010/11! As well they should!

0 246
 01-06-2018, 05:48 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Gus looks well trained and asset in the shop.  Really like my recent brush !!

FYI - if looking for a family event with Gus, google this -->> Goldendoodle Dog Named Blake Can Bowl

5 441
 01-07-2018, 02:44 PM
User Info
(01-06-2018, 05:48 PM)SCOV Wrote: Gus looks well trained and asset in the shop.  Really like my recent brush !!

FYI - if looking for a family event with Gus, google this -->> Goldendoodle Dog Named Blake Can Bowl

Ha-ha!  Thanks for the link.  Gus is getting there, but bowling?  Not quite yet.

4 661
 01-09-2018, 07:37 PM
User Info
Thanks for the updates, Brad. Here's to an awesome 2018 for you and yours!

69 2,218
 01-15-2018, 05:00 PM
User Info
We've been playing a little catch-up reorganizing and cleaning-up on our website.  In the process, we added a new Special Services page where we offer design modifications, knotting/re-knotting services, etc.  For your consideration. www.BradSearsShaveWorks.com/    

By the way, our new 2-Band Select Badgers came in about 10 days ago.  I think they're quite nice: firm, yet springy backbone with soft tips that tend to hook.  

[Image: Am7WzQB.jpg]

4 661