08-30-2012, 04:50 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250231.JPG?m=1346367340]

Thanks to member Asharperrazor (the man behind Wet Shaving Products) I had the chance to test and try the Stubby silvertip brushes that he offers : the regular one and the one with extra firm backbone.

I'm a guy who thinks that you get what you paid for,no matter what,but sometimes you get more that what you have paid for,and these brushes could be a good example of it.

These brushes are 100% made in China and sometimes we perceive brushes 100% made in China like "bad" or less quality.Well,I had very bad experiences with 100% made in China brushes (a couple of FS comes to mind) as well as very good ones , like with the New Forest 2201 (thats a brilliant brush and it was New Forest 1st released) or the Stubbies.

[Image: P1240980.JPG?m=1344280619]

The Stubby has the following measures :
  • 22 mm knot
  • 48 mm loft
  • 95 mm total height

which makes it an small brush , bordering the medium size , perfect for facelathering.

[Image: P1240979.JPG?m=1344280614]

This brush is packed with extra quality silvertip badger hair.Yes,extra quality,the same quality that I would expect if I get a brush from any of the London brands and the same than the Rooney super silvertip used in the 1 series.

However,the brushes are extra packed with silvertip hair,and when I say extra packed,I truly mean it.

Here a pic for you to see how much hair these brushes have :

[Image: P1250232.JPG?m=1346367342]

and here a pic with a Simpson Classic 1 best badger brush,which has a 22 mm knot.Compare the hair density...the Stubbies makes the Classic look tiny and not as well packed with hair (which is not true,since the Classic 1 is very well packed,but the Stubbies even more...)

[Image: P1250234.JPG?m=1346372726]

The Stubby is very well made and finish : the handle is made of black, shinny, resin ,quiet heavy and well balance.For sure they don't feel like a cheap Chinese knock off brush but like a Made in UK shaving brush.

The weight of this brush is 65 g and I think that says a lot about the handle and the extra hair.

[Image: P1250237.JPG?m=1346367349]

I haven't had any issues with the logo either ,something I cant say of any of the other Chinese brushes I have tried ,like the FS or the Li Jun...

And there are two versions of this brush : the extra firm and the regular.And why is it that there are two versions? Well, that's due to a glue bump that this brush has on the knot : one glue bump is over 5 mm , so it makes it very firm and the other is under 5 mm.

This is the extra firm version brush : noticed that Im trying to "show" where the glue bump is :

[Image: P1250235.JPG?m=1346367332]

and this is the regular version (the glue bump is less noticeable ) :

[Image: P1250236.JPG?m=1346367342]

The first Stubby brush that I tested and shaved with was the extra firm version , and I'm afraid I wasn't very impressed with it.Well,I was impressed with the handle quality and the extra badger hair but the brush was quiet stiff at the time.Well,I did tested it a couple times more until I got the regular version , which I like it much better . Until I decided to test again the extra firm version and , right now,I like both.

The extra firm needs time to fully break in.Yes,time...and time is something that we sometimes don't give to a brush , to let it develop its full potential (sounds weird but that's true in many cases).It happens quiet often with boar brushes and also with badger hair brushes like this : it needs time ,uses and shaves, but eventually,will get to its full potential and you will enjoy a good shaving brush.

[Image: P1250238.JPG?m=1346367357]

The silvertip hair has soft tips.Not extra soft , velvety tips,but are softer than the shavemac D01 silvertip , for example.The extra firm version could have a tiny,very tiny scritch,which is normal by the way,

Both brushes could be use with circular movements while facelathering,but they need time (the regular one less time) to fully break in.Gentlemen,we have two brushes that are super packed with silvertip hair and a loft of 48 mm : if you have tested/tried a lot of brushes you know what Im talking about.

When the brushes are fully softened,the provide a good exfoliating massage,but not unpleasant at all or whatsoever : this is a brush for the hard core face latherers out there!

Since the brushes are extra packed with silvertip hair,it is normal that they loose up to 40 hairs in the 3 first shaves ,so don't freak out, you dont have a shedder,but an extra,super densely hair packed brush.

Of course,these brushes are shaving soap serial killers and perform much better with soaps that with shaving creams.That could be related to their flow and how densely packed are with hair.I find that the brushes with less hair and more natural flow perform very good with shaving creams ,while the ones like these Stubbies,are better suited for tipple milled shaving soaps.

As you can see in the second pic,the brushes doesn't "bloom" when wet and the firmer one even less ,but it does blooms with more uses.Its not a "stick" made brush ,as I said ,but you need to use it and eventually will be soften and fully break in.

Another point on their favor its price : these brushes cost 49 dollars in Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Silvertip-...1342422495

I want to congratulate Asharperrazor for taking the time , money and desire to develop quality shaving brushes : the Stubbies are good example of that.

If you get a Wet Shaving Products Stubby , be patience with it , use it as much as you can , and the brush would return to you that invested time ,with super great lather made in no time.Well,your shaving soaps are gonna suffer a little bit,but we don't want to be buried with shaving soaps,I think...

86 7,124
 08-30-2012, 05:16 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Excellent review Teiste! Clap

I placed an order for the regular version last night and it should arrive tomorrow, thanks to Amazon Prime. I am looking forward to trying it out!

31 1,510
 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM
User Info
Teiste, another great review.

75 20,883
 08-30-2012, 06:06 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
Teiste, did your brushes seem to shed more than a normal Badger?

I' received my brush this week and the first test lather it seemed to loose 2 or 3 dozen hairs. The first use i still lost another half dozen hairs. I'm used to having a new brush loose a few hairs but this is a little more than I'm used to seeing. I do like the feel of the brush when lathering.

3 497
 08-30-2012, 06:23 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Great T! Every time I see you review another product I should run... but I don't, I just add thing to my loooooong "want" list. Thanks very much for taking the time to review for our benefit.

88 4,233
 08-30-2012, 07:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-30-2012, 06:06 PM)DLP Wrote: Teiste, did your brushes seem to shed more than a normal Badger?

I' received my brush this week and the first test lather it seemed to loose 2 or 3 dozen hairs. The first use i still lost another half dozen hairs. I'm used to having a new brush loose a few hairs but this is a little more than I'm used to seeing. I do like the feel of the brush when lathering.

I will quote myself :

Quote:Since the brushes are extra packed with silvertip hair,it is normal that they loose up to 40 hairs in the 3 first shaves ,so don't freak out, you dont have a shedder,but an extra,super densely hair packed brush.

So dont worry,its very normal due to its extra packed volume of hair.

86 7,124
 08-30-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
I really dislike the glue that a lot of manufacturers seem to be putting in the knot. I think it's a cheap way of giving a brush more backbone, most likely to compensate for shorter, cheaper, less resilient hair. I have noticed this both in lower end brushes like FS as well as higher end brushes like M&F and Thater. I suspect it also has something to do with if the knot is truly handmade/hand-tied (since I haven't seen it on brushes like Simpson/Vulfix, Shavemac, or Plisson), but this is pure speculation. While the glue gives the impression of backbone, it prevents the brush from flexing well enough to really make good lather inside the brush (and most of these brushes have too short lofts to begin with). Just my opinion of course.

30 276
 08-30-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
I haven't seen a knot that doesn't have glue.

Shavemacs definitely have glue. Cannot speak for Plisson. Simpsons uses glue. Vulfix uses glue too. Rooney has glue, M&F has glue, etc etc.

You don't notice the glue in most Simpsons because the knot is set well below the handle. In other words the hole is drilled very deep, below the top of the glue knot, thus hiding the glue from feel. PJ is set higher in the handle so you can feel the glue in that model.

I can assure you, the glue is/was not a design feature.

9 2,988
 08-31-2012, 04:47 PM
User Info
(08-30-2012, 08:24 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I haven't seen a knot that doesn't have glue.

Of course all brushes use glue. That wasn't my point at all. I'm talking about when you squeeze the base of the knot (right at the bottom of the handle) whether or not you can feel glue.

(08-30-2012, 08:24 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: You don't notice the glue in most Simpsons because the knot is set well below the handle. In other words the hole is drilled very deep, below the top of the glue knot, thus hiding the glue from feel. PJ is set higher in the handle so you can feel the glue in that model.

Yes, and in order to have the knot deep set in the handle, longer, more expensive hair needs to be used.

(08-30-2012, 08:24 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I can assure you, the glue is/was not a design feature.

It certainly seems to be in the brush reviewed here. What else gives this brush "extra firm backbone". The hair appears to be the same as the regular model (which based on the picture still has glue in the knot).

30 276
 08-31-2012, 04:58 PM
User Info
Aaron,
It sounds to me like it wasn't designed to be that way, but it came out that way for whatever reason. Many new products, or twists on products come from "mistakes".

(08-31-2012, 04:47 PM)Aaron622 Wrote:
(08-30-2012, 08:24 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I haven't seen a knot that doesn't have glue.

Of course all brushes use glue. That wasn't my point at all. I'm talking about when you squeeze the base of the knot (right at the bottom of the handle) whether or not you can feel glue.

(08-30-2012, 08:24 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: You don't notice the glue in most Simpsons because the knot is set well below the handle. In other words the hole is drilled very deep, below the top of the glue knot, thus hiding the glue from feel. PJ is set higher in the handle so you can feel the glue in that model.

Yes, and in order to have the knot deep set in the handle, longer, more expensive hair needs to be used.

(08-30-2012, 08:24 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I can assure you, the glue is/was not a design feature.

It certainly seems to be in the brush reviewed here. What else gives this brush "extra firm backbone". The hair appears to be the same as the regular model (which based on the picture still has glue in the knot).

31 7,914
 08-31-2012, 06:20 PM
User Info
Yes, not designed that way. In fact, the hole was supposed to be deeper, but a miscommunication with the factory made what I have now.

9 2,988
 08-31-2012, 06:47 PM
User Info
Seems like its a good brush for the money, just needs a break in period. I remember my Rooney super 3/1 (that I wish I never BST'd) after continued use, it was amazingly soft.

0 241
 08-31-2012, 07:19 PM
User Info
I'm also currently in possession of both versions of this brush. As I've already told Lee via PM, if this brush had a different handle I would have already purchased it. My hands must not be very coordinated as smooth brushes like this, especially this shape, are not comfortable for me to use.

The knot on the regular version is amazing. The fibers are very fine and flexible while the shorter loft and over stuffed knot give it plenty of backbone. I find the flow on this brush to be very good. It loaded Mike's Natural Soap very easily, much easier in fact than I expected given how soft the tips feel. I'll look forward to using it a few more times before returning it back to its owner.

The extra firm brush is everything that the standard version is with a few obvious differences. Same density, but much more backbone and less flow due to the effective shortening of the loft from the very high glue bump. It's a bit weird to use if you like to use a bit of pressure when lathering as it would "bottom out" and I'd feel that glue bump on my face. It wasn't uncomfortable, just weird. I could get used to it, but after using the standard version I wouldn't want to.

Again, all I'd want is a more comfortable handle for my "special" hands and I'd be all over this brush. Well done on this Lee.

31 7,914
 09-01-2012, 09:57 AM
User Info
Nice brush, and priced at a dangerously affordable point.

97 615
 09-07-2012, 07:05 AM
User Info
I just used the WSP standard silvertip again this morning. What a great knot! Makes tons of lather & releases it onto my face easily as a brush should. I used S.Maria cream today & easily had plenty of dense, creamy lather for about 5-6 passes. I love the combination of soft tips with firm backbone that this brush provides. I'm just awaiting a different handle shape & then I'll be able to enjoy this superb brush for many years to come.

31 7,914
 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I purchased the regular version of this brush about a week ago and have since used it about 5 times for real shaves and several test lathers on my palm. So far I like it, but I am not really sure if I got the regular or extra firm, seems a bit stiff and I can definitely feel a glue bump, something I thought was only present in the firm version, which I didn't really want. Other than that I'm somewhat happy with it and waiting for it to stop shedding to be truly happy..I know it's dense and new brushes shed, especially dense ones...but I've never had a brush shed this bad, no matter the density. The first couple of test lathers on my palm dropped massive amounts of hair and I do not say that lightly as it even stopped my sink up. It literally plastered the drain catch with hair and I had to dig out clumps of hair with my finger to unstop it, it had to be at least 80-100 hairs..I've lived here for 26 years and that was only the 2nd time I've seen that sink stop up...it was a ton of hair.

Anyway, it has slowed down..the brush now only sheds 10-15 hairs per shave, I think once that stops I will really enjoy it, I just hope it stops soon or I won't have a dense brush for much longer.

31 1,510
 09-16-2012, 06:27 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Updating my progress with the WSP brush. It's down to only shedding about 5 hairs per shave, usually all stuck on the soap. It will probably stop all together in another week, either way it's a huge improvement over having my face plastered with hair during every shave hehe. It performs very well, it reminds me quite a lot of my Simpson Classic 1 but with slightly better flow through...it will definitely eat up some soap. I have to commend them on the knot shape, it's pretty much perfectly shaped in every way, almost shockingly perfect, no stray hairs sticking out in random places, no high/low spots, very uniform..I know this doesn't matter to most people and some prefer the "uniqueness" that comes with some hand tied and set knots but I have mild OCD and that sort of thing can drive me nuts if I allow it.

It also dries surprisingly fast, the only comparable brush I have in terms of density is a Simpson Classic 1 and it takes 36 hours minimum to dry...the WSP brush seems to dry in about 10-12 hours.

Kudos to Lee and WSP for a damn nice brush for a crazy low price.

31 1,510
 09-16-2012, 08:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Arcadies : the shedding will stop.It seems you got one of the super extra packed hair ones,my friend.
Thanks for the heads up.

86 7,124