01-05-2018, 10:24 PM
User Info
Meanwhile, Colorado is having a proverbial heat-wave (seriously). January is typically our coldest month (Feb/March/April bring more snow)

[Image: 7qVN5J0.jpg]

29 1,453
 01-06-2018, 06:30 AM
User Info
(01-03-2018, 01:56 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Supposedly Florida had snow today, and they frequently get killing frosts. I never heard of coastal California getting really cold weather, but the mountains do.

I don't really understand the question... In Maine we are ready for it every year since we only have 1 day of summer every year (that's a joke). We know that we can get anything during the winter. No one is using the word "blizzard" yet, but tomorrow we're getting what one forecaster called a "winter hurricane". Snow and high winds mean blizzard to me.

CHS', if someone is foolish enough to build in Maine and not take into account our weather in their design they deserve everything they get and they'll figure it out during their first winter. Water lines get insulated and heat taped, I heat taped my drain lines as well after one froze one year. I always keep 100' of heat tape on hand with termination kits. I haven't needed any since I had that drain line freeze. I also keep a salamander heater with 5 gallons of K1 so that I can run it in the cold. I tried to run it in the cold one year with the wrong fuel and it kept jelling. K1 doesn't jell until it gets REALLY cold.

Now the folks down south are getting this cold weather and their homes might not be built for it. That would be the pits and totally unexpected. I think I read that someone near the gulf coast Mississippi had temps in the teens the other day. They just don't get that normally.

We had a heat wave today, as compared to what we've had, it got into the low 20sF. I took advantage of it to do some snow and ice removal from the roof. I also filled up gas cans and fuel for the shop heater. Because of the temps what I burn to keep the shop from freezing in one month of "normal" winter I've been going through in a week. I just keep the shop from freezing with that heater and nothing more. Tonight I'm going to give the wood stove a break and we're running the oil burner. Tomorrow we'll fill the wood rack just in case. It's all part of battening down the hatches for the coming storm. We have plenty of food, and we have a solar PV system with battery backup, and 8k generator and plenty of fuel. We could be holed up for a month and do fine. When I was fueling up today plenty of other folks were also. The pumps for the K1 and off road diesel had a steady line of folks fueling up, and gas cans were a common sight at the gas pumps. K1 and off road diesel for emergency space  heaters, and gas for plowing, generators, and other internal combustion. If that wasn't enough, in out little "community" if someone has a problem, just call a neighbor. They might not help during the peak of the storm depending on what's happening, but when possible they'll get to you and help if they can. We have lots of equipment locally.

It turns out that we've had much worse Bryan. I can't tell you how much snow we had, but it was the cold and wind that really made it bad. Heck, it's still super cold, -8°F w/o the windchill. I have no idea what it is with it factored in.

32 6,507
 01-06-2018, 07:06 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(01-03-2018, 04:22 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: As we say in Norway: "Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær" ("There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.")

Very true. My daughter and her husband used to work in Pond Inlet, Baffin Island, Nunavut Territory, where the winter temperatures are in the -30 to -40 range. When I asked them how they could tolerate such cold they replied that it is all in the clothing

8 1,031
 01-06-2018, 01:05 PM
User Info
Or in knowing when not to dress for it...

When we first moved to Maine in '80 I didn't have a job, but I had a chainsaw. A local gent yarded wood with draft horses and he hired me and my saw to chop for him. That winter saw -33°F on some mornings. Now I don't know who here has chopped wood for a living, but it's extremely physical work. I would start the day with layers that gradually got peeled off as I started to heat up. Sweating on a cold day will kill you if your layers get soaked. I would get to the point where, even as cold as it was, I was down to my long john top. Still wearing everything else, but I simply had to get rid of those layers. I would steam just like the horses pulling the logs out. Of course when I stopped I had to put the layers back on quickly. That was an interesting winter. For lunch I would bring a sandwich and ramen noodles with an egg and veggies added. It was nice and hot and almost like a casserole since the noodles had hours to absorb the broth. I would dunk my sandwich in the hot noodles to thaw it so that I could take a bite.

32 6,507
 01-06-2018, 06:55 PM
User Info
I got the layers lesson early.

Deer hunting. We would pack our layers in a sack to carry them and hike into the woods with only an outer coat over a long underwear top. After 5 or 6 six miles we'd find a nice spot and peel off that top that was wet with sweat and get dressed with dry stuff. I remember pulling a glass bottle of water out of my coat pocket. An old whiskey bottle hip flask. It had frozen solid on the hike. That year my ears and nose peeled days later like a sunburn. 

I'm grateful to be in a warm house tonight under a dry blanket. 

Just before 10pm here and it's 6 below zero F. 
Going to get colder tonight still. The air is fierce outside. The snow is sparkling in that odd way that looks like sand only when it's brutally cold. My house is making noises like it's settling - or haunted.

Brrrr.

11 1,617
 01-06-2018, 10:30 PM
User Info
BB, that sound is ice expansion between the layers of home/foundation, or at least that's what I've always attributed it to. Expanding water is inexorable. The temp' is close to that here as well. But I doubt we'll get to -10 tonight. Tonight is the coldest one for us this cold snap (this latest started a few days ago), then it's supposed to turn the corner. The prediction is for a warm up. That would be nice. I can't move my snowbanks, but we have a lot of snow only because nothing has melted.

32 6,507
 01-06-2018, 11:05 PM
User Info
It's cold in my state.

[Image: pdYp822.png]

1 498
 01-07-2018, 12:32 AM
User Info
I boiled water and took it outside. 

Threw it in the air using a coffee cup. Hahaha...

Huge white cloud. Instant fog.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VadYxTi90uO9baXZ2

I may have done over and over again. For science.  Sherlock

11 1,617
 01-07-2018, 05:51 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
The last few weeks have been -32 to -40C. Today it was -15C. Felt like summer. I love Canada.

0 390
 01-12-2018, 06:18 AM
User Info
60° F this morning.

Ice and snow supposedly by evening. 
12 inches of snow by morning with temps in the teens. 

Rollercoaster ride this winter.

11 1,617
 01-12-2018, 07:37 AM
User Info
Mid forties at this time, and raining. Lots of snow slid off of the roof yesterday. Tomorrow we'll get what you'll be getting bakerb'. Mixed bag with some freezing rain. It'll be a great day to hunker down and watch it happen from indoors. More cold weather is coming but not that extremely cold weather that we had.

32 6,507
 01-12-2018, 07:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
We got to enjoy three days of 37F weather then, BAM!, the single digits are back with -F temps on the way.  When's that darn groundhog suppose to come out of hiding? Smile

180 24,877
 01-12-2018, 02:41 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
This morning it was 12 C/52 F with rain chucking down and now it’s -10 C/14 F with snow falling. Crazy, crazy!

8 1,031
 01-12-2018, 02:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-12-2018, 02:41 PM)Rufus Wrote: This morning it was 12 C/52 F with rain chucking down and now it’s -10 C/14 F with snow falling. Crazy, crazy!

Wow, that's extreme!

8 2,944