01-03-2018, 06:12 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
Now that I've got the variables worked out with my gear, I can go on long runs of consecutive excellent shaves. That also means I easily know what's the culprit when something feels wrong.
Lately, I've been getting excellent shaves with the General and Kai Mild/Pink, but I've noticed I only get 2-3 shaves before the blade starts deteriorating.
Anyone else notice this?
How many do you get?
Is this an issue with Kai and not the others?

82 3,406
 01-03-2018, 06:23 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Matt,

I get 3 shaves on the Kai Milds. All the feather offerings give me 6-7. The Kai Mild is a great blade and shaves smooth from the start so to me its worth having on hand.

65 5,189
 01-03-2018, 06:30 PM
User Info
Interesting. I primarily use Feather pros and can get 8-12 shaves pretty easily.

29 1,495
 01-03-2018, 07:08 PM
  • Nero
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
[ Rrrrrr.... not what I wanted to hear.

But please continue...... ]

Thank you, Gentlemen!!

Do others agree?

Edit to add:
I was hoping that I was jumping the gun, since I only started to figure this out with the most recent two blades. Before that, I think I was stretching the blades to probably 5, and while they still work fine, they don't feel as smooth. Shave #1 on the Kai is like butter.

82 3,406
 01-03-2018, 08:28 PM
User Info
I am a Kai Mild fan in my Feather AC SS as well as my Asylum Rx.  I feel like I can get at least 6 good shaves out of them, perhaps more.  Honestly I don't count, but that's my gut feeling about them.

23 1,938
 01-03-2018, 09:47 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
When I started with these blades I could only get about 5 shaves out of a blade, nowadays I place a new one every 15 shaves because I have plenty but could get a few more shaves out of a blade. A few years ago there was a thread about stropping the blades and some of us could extent a blades life for over a month, we stopped because we got bored in the end.

31 1,545
 01-04-2018, 12:58 AM
User Info
I ve been using Kai Mild with my Cobra Classic and was getting horrible first few shaves. It went to the extent that I made up my mind to sell the razor itself. Feather was even worse.

I then went little gentle on the pressure and the outlook changed entirely towards both the blade and the razor.

Now I get 6-7 shaves from Feather and 9-10 shaves from Kai. Infact, KAI becomes more enjoyable after first 3-4 shaves now .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,148
 01-04-2018, 01:34 PM
  • Nero
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
Interesting stuff, my friends.
Back to the drawing board, as I believe Donald Duck used to say.

82 3,406
 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM
  • Nero
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
So I've used two more blades since I last wrote. Conclusion: I agree with OP. Three shaves is the max. The fourth shave is doable but noticably worse, so that falls into the "why bother" territory, for me. YMMV. Enjoy your shaves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

82 3,406
 01-16-2018, 10:29 PM
User Info
I don't use Milds very often so it's hard for me to say. I have one in the Excelia shavette that I use for touch-up. It probably has 6 touch-up passes on it, which is maybe the equivalent of 2 whole shaves. Will keep an eye on it and try to let you know when it peters out.

My go-to blade is the AC Pro Super, which gives me 25-30+ shaves per blade. Schick Prolines give me 10-15. The Milds have two tough acts to follow.

0 146