01-08-2018, 04:46 AM
User Info
(01-08-2018, 02:26 AM)Ripkin Wrote: K5MOW - I’m just starting to get into journaling with the one fountain pen I have and I’m loving it. Who knew? What’s uour favorite paper? Do you use a refillable cloth or leather journal?

Anyone else have any suggestions? The journal I have now, the paper is so absorbent the ink spreads and feathers a lot.

One of the journals I use and like very much it’s nothing extremely fancy. It is an Exacompta 9930 made in Paris.

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 46
 01-08-2018, 05:52 AM
  • jar
User Info
(01-08-2018, 02:19 AM)Ripkin Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 07:56 PM)WetShavingProducts Wrote: I have a Safari & a 2000. Used to be more into pens, but those two stay wet after a week of non-use, so.... those are the ones for me. Lol.

I ordered a Lamy Lx from the crazy sale— I think they’re just metal versions of the safari (can’t wait to try it!) but I’ve heard good things about that pen.  The 2000 looks like a sweet pen too but I definitely can’t afford it right now.  Maybe after tax return season.  Wink

That reminds me...
What do people do when these dodads dry out?  Can i just flush them with tap water or do you really need “pen flush”?
I’m planning on using bottled ink most of the time, if that matters or not...

Cal, I've never used any pen flush.

0 252
 01-08-2018, 06:46 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
As a collector of vintage and modern fountain pens, I shudder at the thought of ink drying in a pen. If this does happen a good soak and flush with warm tap water should clear out the dried ink. If this doesn’t work there are other flushes that can be used, but they should b a last recourse. Flush the pen until the water runs clear, then give the pen a few “thermometer” shakes, wipe the nib with a tissue and allow the pen to dry thoroughly with the cap off. I follow this procedure with all pens that I have inked even though the ink has not dried up.

8 995
 01-08-2018, 06:58 AM
User Info
(01-08-2018, 02:19 AM)Ripkin Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 07:56 PM)WetShavingProducts Wrote: I have a Safari & a 2000. Used to be more into pens, but those two stay wet after a week of non-use, so.... those are the ones for me. Lol.

I ordered a Lamy Lx from the crazy sale— I think they’re just metal versions of the safari (can’t wait to try it!) but I’ve heard good things about that pen.  The 2000 looks like a sweet pen too but I definitely can’t afford it right now.  Maybe after tax return season.  Wink

That reminds me...
What do people do when these dodads dry out?  Can i just flush them with tap water or do you really need “pen flush”?
I’m planning on using bottled ink most of the time, if that matters or not...

You can do either.  Usually I just set the section and converter/cartridge in a glass of lukewarm (just like Goldilocks not too hot not too cold) tap water and let it sit a while.  The water will color up from the ink.  When it gets too messy I dump it and replace.  Once the nib is pretty clean I work on the converter and innards of the section.  Pull clean water up into the converter (or the pen itself if it's bottle fill only) and then squirt it back out.  Repeat (a lot) until the water runs clear.  If the pen is cartridge only you can use a syringe (like those used for ear irrigation) to force water through the nib/section.  Pen flush is a bit more aggressive in attacking the dried ink, but in the end you'll need to flush with water to clear it out just like the ink.

0 82
 01-09-2018, 04:19 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone. I got a journal from Barnes and Noble today (its probably the place in my town with the best selection).
I’m starting to get the hang of refilling the pen I have. I can’t seem to do it without getting ink on my hands, though.

0 56
 01-09-2018, 04:31 PM
User Info
(01-09-2018, 04:19 PM)Ripkin Wrote: Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone.  I got a journal from Barnes and Noble today (its probably the place in my town with the best selection).  
I’m starting to get the hang of refilling the pen I have.  I can’t seem to do it without getting ink on my hands, though.

if you ever figure that out let me know!  I've accepted that as a part of the hobby, my blue fingers being a source of pride!  Smile

23 1,938
 04-03-2018, 10:15 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I am also rather new with fountain pens and after a bit of research I ended up with 4 excellent pens (2 TWSBIs):

TWSBI 580
Kaweco Sport
Lamy 2000

From these my most favorite so far is TWSBI EF

Edit: I just ordered a Fountain Pen Revolution Triveni Junior Ebonite pen with an EF nib. it is rather affordable and I heard and read good to great reviews about these pens.

115 1,664