01-04-2018, 06:54 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Comparing GEM (like the Sabre L2) vs. Artist Series (like Asylum RX), which is better and why?  Okay, fight!  Smile

26 650
 01-04-2018, 02:51 PM
  • jar
User Info
Neither is better.

0 256
 01-04-2018, 03:18 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(01-04-2018, 02:51 PM)jar Wrote: Neither is better.

Neither??  That's not a fun answer.

26 650
 01-04-2018, 03:19 PM
User Info
you want fun? get married

55 1,277
 01-04-2018, 04:22 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(01-04-2018, 03:19 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: you want fun? get married

Oh boy.  Already did.  Got to agree with you though...non stop fun.

26 650
 01-04-2018, 06:41 PM
User Info
Marry your GEM, then keep your hands off the AC. And verse vice-a. Biggrin

0 146
 01-04-2018, 07:01 PM
User Info

I take it that was meant to be sarcastic?  Biggrin

As for the question, i think this is one of your YMMV things, i love the Artist type blades, but i would really like to try out the GEM blades because they are smaller (more maneuverable) and cheaper, the Blackland Sabre L2 is really tempting me. I asked a similar question in another forum, some people prefer the AC blades claiming they are sharper and smoother, others will tell you the GEM blades are as good as the AC blades if not better. In the end i think you will have to try them both to find out what you prefer, sorry i couldn't be of more help. That said one point for the AC blades is definitely the wider selection of blades, which allow you to change the aggressiveness of the Razor (Feather Proffessional Super) or make it milder, more safe (guarded blades).

0 32
 01-04-2018, 07:44 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-04-2018, 07:01 PM)SamTwist Wrote:

I take it that was meant to be sarcastic?  Biggrin

As for the question, i think this is one of your YMMV things, i love the Artist type blades, but i would really like to try out the GEM blades because they are smaller (more maneuverable) and cheaper, the Blackland Sabre L2 is really tempting me. I asked a similar question in another forum, some people prefer the AC blades claiming they are sharper and smoother, others will tell you the GEM blades are as good as the AC blades if not better. In the end i think you will have to try them both to find out what you prefer, sorry i couldn't be of more help. That said one point for the AC blades is definitely the wider selection of blades, which allow you to change the aggressiveness of the Razor (Feather Proffessional Super) or make it milder, more safe (guarded blades).

Gems are shorter but wider and I actually find them to be less maneuverable. Another case of YMMV.

48 19,849
 01-05-2018, 02:57 AM
User Info
I don't have a preference as such between AC, SE, gem and DE razors, my determinant is smoothness in the shave couped with the right efficiency for me. YMMV.
At this moment I love the proline P-30 in the El-Jefe which gives me BBs no fail without irritation, the Sabre is also a great razor for me and I do like the shorter lenght of the Gem as it is more manoeuvrable around the face. For DE's I do like the Feather in a 6s@6 although not to efficient for me.
I'll report back when my REX Ambassador, ATT SE1, Paradigm 17-4 are in hand and tested.

0 448
 01-05-2018, 03:57 AM
User Info
Tough question posed by the OP.  Let me first say that I prefer both the GEM and AC blades to the traditional DE blade.  I have dry, sensitive skin and I get a great shave with less irritation with either SE blade.  I am not sure why that should be.  It is not about the razor itself because I have used all manner of both SE and DE razors and the benefit of the SE blades is universal.  I have always assumed that the more rigid SE blade is better because there is less blade chatter but that is really just speculation on my part.

I own a wide range of vintage GEM razors as well as the Sabre L2 and ATT SE1.  The vintage GEMs are fun but I find the L2 to give a smoother and more efficient shave than any of the vintage GEMs.  The differences between the L2 and SE1 are small.  I could happily live with either one.  The L2 is a tad less aggressive and I find it easier to maneuver than the larger SE1.  Lately I have been reaching more for the L2 than SE1 because it seems to have hit the sweet spot for me -  Like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, not too hot or too cold, but just right.

6 95
 01-05-2018, 04:08 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I use both, have most every iteration of the historic GEMs EverReadys and Stars .. and some Henckel's also.  I've tried most of the new generation of hair shaper based safety razors (ATT SE, Cobra, Mongoose, Asylum et al.) and held onto the ATT SE2.  If I had to choose just one it would be the classic SE GEM style.  I find the narrower blade more maneuverable around tough spots on my mug, almost as good as the real No. One, which is the Schick Injector ..

50 535
 01-05-2018, 04:25 AM
User Info
There was a question when I was a kid, Ginger or Mary Ann, referring to 2 women on the TV show Gilligan's Island. The answer? Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie.

55 1,277
 01-05-2018, 05:57 AM
User Info
I prefer the wider AC blade, particularly the ATT SE1 with a Schick Proline. The GEM MMOC with a GEM SS PTFE is also a favorite. I shave my face with the ATT SE1 and my head with the GEM MMOC, best of both worlds!

0 91
 01-06-2018, 03:52 PM
User Info
I can get excellent shaves from both.
The AC blades are sharper and smoother, but it doesn't mean that GEM blades or DE blades are not smooth or sharp enough.

The Colonial General is probably the design that works best for me, but if I used it every day I would get bored with it, quickly.
I wouldn't mind sticking with the excellent 1901 Gem Junior Bar for good.

[Image: dxOZ1hA.jpg]

But it is hard to choose which one.

[Image: LGLJMin.jpg]

8 949