01-04-2018, 04:57 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
So which Gem safety razor works best, in your opinion and more importantly WHY?

3 542
 01-05-2018, 07:06 AM
User Info
My face demands a mild razor and so related to GEMs, I currently have a featherweight, bullet tip and sabre with L1 baseplate.  Of all the older GEMs out there, best for me is the featherweight followed by the bullet tip.  With the featherweight, the blade hold (or maybe chatter is a better term) is ok but there is a definite difference compared to the sabre. The sabre build quality is very good, no blade movement or chatter.  Same with bullet tip in terms of blade hold but I think the bullet tip is slightly more aggressive than the sabre and featheweight.  I don't like the stock sabre handle much as I feel it is too short for me and the gripping leaves much to be desired IMO (I have the polished version).  All deliver the same shave at the end of the day but I don't think I could use the bullet tip daily.  In any case I would alternate between all of them to some extent.  I should also state that I do use injectors and I do prefer those (by a small margin) over GEM bladed versions.  In any case, I use both GEM and injectors but I would lean injector if I had to choose one of them.  I like GEMs because blade price is better than those that go with injectors.  In either case, both prices are still better than modern cartridges and don't screw up my skin as much.  I do not have the ATT GEM version and probably won't get it.

0 9
 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
I have tried a small number of GEM style razors ( Sabre L1, 1912 Junior, 1912, 1914, 1924, MMOC, Clog Pruf, G-Bar).

Of these, I have sold all except : 1912 Junior Brass and Sabre L1.

Reason: With the rest, I get a tugging/pulling feeling during the ATG pass on my neck. Even if I am extremely careful about my angle and pressure, my ATG pass isn't that comfortable and with alum, I get noticeable burning (which is absent for my regular razors).

1912 Junior Brass is the first GEM style razor I liked. 

Finally, Sabre L1 is my favorite. It may not be the most efficient (meaning I need a full 3 pass shave), but it surely is extremely comfortable. And with some work, I can get extremely close shaves.

4 75
 01-05-2018, 08:36 AM
User Info
The Sabre L2 is my favorite gem-style. The L2 gives very close and comfortable shaves. It's more aggressive than the L1 but not too aggressive where it becomes uncomfortable. It's new to me this week, so my experience is limited, but right now it's one of my favorite razors -- that includes de style razors. It's a great shaving tool and a real thing of beauty as well. I traded in my AtT razor, even after the upgrade, because I couldn't get a close enough shave with it. I have a bunch of vintage gem razors but none are as beautiful or as functional as my Sabre L2.

4 878
 01-05-2018, 03:26 PM
User Info
I have an MMOC and the Sabre Level 2 and get comfortable, close shaves from both but my favorite is the L2. I get a fantastic shave from it. For me it is both smooth and efficient.

17 238
 01-06-2018, 06:08 AM
User Info
macht keinen Unterschied as the barber in Germantown would say so I checked with the barber from Little Italy.  "non fa differenza", he said.

0 249
 01-10-2018, 01:28 PM
User Info
My favorite Gem’s are the Sabre L2 and Rocnel SE-G. I get consistently close shaves from both. I just sold the ATT Gem because even after the change in baseplate, I just don’t find it functional and the Shave with the modified baseplate was average. My Sabre and SE-G are both keepers. Some people have had issues with the Rocnel but I never have and own the black one and the silver one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,090
 01-10-2018, 07:06 PM
  • shaveR41
  • Default User Title
  • Millbrae - CA
User Info
This is a phenomenal razor. Several hours after my first shave, I can still feel how ultra smooth my face is. I usually have an average or below average experience with a new product on first use, but the Sabre L2 proved to be super smooth and efficient. Initially, I thought it felt heavy, it's weight let it glide wonderfully!

0 40
 01-15-2018, 03:30 AM
User Info
(01-10-2018, 01:28 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: My favorite Gem’s are the Sabre L2 and Rocnel SE-G.  I get consistently close shaves from both.  I just sold the ATT Gem because even after the change in baseplate, I just don’t find it functional and the Shave with the modified baseplate was average.  My Sabre and SE-G are both keepers.  Some people have had issues with the Rocnel but I never have and own the black one and the silver one.

Is the Sabre L2 smoother and provides more irritation free shave than the ATT Gem?

0 145
 01-15-2018, 05:31 AM
User Info
(01-15-2018, 03:30 AM)Rhinehoth Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 01:28 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: My favorite Gem’s are the Sabre L2 and Rocnel SE-G.  I get consistently close shaves from both.  I just sold the ATT Gem because even after the change in baseplate, I just don’t find it functional and the Shave with the modified baseplate was average.  My Sabre and SE-G are both keepers.  Some people have had issues with the Rocnel but I never have and own the black one and the silver one.

Is the Sabre L2 smoother and provides more irritation free shave than the ATT Gem?

The ATT Gem can’t compare to the Sabre L2 in my opinion. I sold my ATT because I could not get a close Shave with it. I bought it on first release and had it sent back to be modified for a more aggressive plate and it still could not do the job for me. Some people like it but for me the Sabre L2 is the best Gem razor with the Rocnel SE-G coming in a close second. These are just my personal opinions.

3 1,090
 01-17-2018, 01:09 AM
User Info
(01-15-2018, 05:31 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote:

The ATT Gem can’t compare to the Sabre L2 in my opinion. I sold my ATT because I could not get a close Shave with it. I bought it on first release and had it sent back to be modified for a more aggressive plate and it still could not do the job for me. Some people like it but for me the Sabre L2 is the best Gem razor with the Rocnel SE-G coming in a close second. These are just my personal opinions.

Thanks for the reply. I also returned my ATT GEM G1, but for a different reason. Looks like I’ll have to order the Sabre. I hope it gives me irritation free shaves like my Oneblade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 145
 01-17-2018, 04:10 AM
User Info

I get the very same results with my ATT G1, Sabre L1 & L2.  I may slightly prefer the G1 simply over face feel.

0 249
 01-19-2018, 09:01 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Slightly OT, so I apologize.

I like the looks of the Sabre, The comments encourage me, But I prefer a “grippy” handle.

Will a standard handle fit the Sabre?

61 1,695
 01-19-2018, 10:01 PM
User Info
(01-19-2018, 09:01 PM)MaxP Wrote: Slightly OT, so I apologize.

I like the looks of the Sabre, The comments encourage me, But I prefer a “grippy” handle.

Sure will! The Sabre head fits all standard m5 x 0.8mm threaded handles.

0 710
 01-26-2018, 07:41 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(01-19-2018, 10:01 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote:
(01-19-2018, 09:01 PM)MaxP Wrote: Slightly OT, so I apologize.

I like the looks of the Sabre,  The comments encourage me,  But I prefer a “grippy” handle.

Sure will! The Sabre head fits all standard m5 x 0.8mm threaded handles.

Indeed it did/does.  I've attached a highly knurled handle for tomorrow's shave.  The standard handle isn't going to work for me.

61 1,695