01-05-2018, 08:16 AM
User Info
I just ordered the new Gem type razor from PAA. The price was only $39.95 for a CNC aluminum razor with two base plates (regular & beta). I didn't have to buy blades because I found 3 packs of Personna Gems in my garage. Will post pictures and shave results next week. No links allowed here so will just wait.

126 13,274
 01-05-2018, 08:55 AM
  • flintlock
  • Who's for the camp at Cambridge...
  • Hamilton, NJ
User Info
YAY! ordered mine as soon as i got the text. Looks like a real nice Razor at a reasonable price

0 36
 01-05-2018, 10:20 AM
User Info
Curious to see how the "blade forward of the post" design works from an ergonomics and balance standpoint.  Will look for your reports!

22 1,920
 01-05-2018, 10:52 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I ordered one too. I need another razor like I need a third armpit. I keep telling myself I can use it as a travel razor. However, I keep forgetting I am retired and seldom travel anymore. Help! stop me before I do it again.

71 1,105
 01-05-2018, 12:56 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info guys. I just ordered one for myself, i couldn't pass up the opportunity to try out an inexpensive GEM razor. If i like shaving with it, i will buy the Blackland Sabre as well, if not, i haven't spend too much money on it.

0 19
 01-05-2018, 02:36 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Me as well...what the hell.....a great deal and includes 2 base plates.

6 2,059
 01-05-2018, 05:34 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-05-2018, 10:52 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I ordered one too. I need another razor like I need a third armpit. I keep telling myself I can use it as a travel razor. However, I keep forgetting I am retired and seldom travel anymore. Help! stop me before I do it again.

Biggrin

62 3,089
 01-05-2018, 05:57 PM
User Info
I bought as well.......BST should be bustling in 2 weeks if these are duds.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

0 98
 01-05-2018, 10:05 PM
User Info
I ordered one, but I am a bit concerned that the corners of the blade look exposed.  My other 2 GEMs have fingers that hold the blade on the corners, but by doing such, they also protect you from the sharp points.  I think the corners of the blade are more of a concern with a GEM over a DE because of thickness and rigidity.  I hope I am wrong.  I think some of the other new GEMs have exposed corners so I am probably just over cautious.  Nevertheless, it is always fun to try new designs, and with 2 base plates included, there will be plenty of opportunity to experiment.
Steve

0 638
 01-06-2018, 07:46 AM
User Info
Anyone get shipping notice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

126 13,274
 01-06-2018, 09:58 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
They said on the site about a 3 day timeframe and they now posted a short video of the razor with some closeups....also some good pictures in the last few posting of the New Gem razors for 2018.....

6 2,059
 01-06-2018, 10:09 AM
User Info
(01-05-2018, 10:05 PM)Smooth Steve Wrote: I ordered one, but I am a bit concerned that the corners of the blade look exposed.  My other 2 GEMs have fingers that hold the blade on the corners, but by doing such, they also protect you from the sharp points.  I think the corners of the blade are more of a concern with a GEM over a DE because of thickness and rigidity.  I hope I am wrong.  I think some of the other new GEMs have exposed corners so I am probably just over cautious.  Nevertheless, it is always fun to try new designs, and with 2 base plates included, there will be plenty of opportunity to experiment.
Steve

You have a valid point, i was thinking about that too, but after looking at the baseplate a bit more, i think there are blade stops, they are just very tiny. Look at the picture at this thread: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=52014. The golden baseplate seems to have bladestops, maybe i'm wrong, it's hard to say. I'm waiting for the first reviews.

0 19
 01-06-2018, 12:30 PM
User Info
I'll be interested to hear some reviews of it.  I watched the video they release of it on Youtube and the blade fit looks kind of loose (and he even said that at that pricepoint, the tolorances arent super tight).

0 37
 01-06-2018, 02:37 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Just got a notice my razor shipped today first class

71 1,105
 01-09-2018, 04:34 PM
User Info
Got my shave on with it today. A 3 pass acceptable shave. It was close, but a tad bit of irritation as the blade is not held fully along its width and length. Very light and very good knurling on the handle for a great grip. I will post a few pics explaining the way the blade is held in a bit.....

[Image: izFFsbV.jpg]

1 173
 01-09-2018, 06:34 PM
User Info
(01-09-2018, 04:34 PM)SteelyEdge Wrote: Got my shave on with it today. A 3 pass acceptable shave. It was close, but a tad bit of irritation as the blade is not held fully along its width and length. Very light and very good knurling on the handle for a great grip. I will post a few pics explaining the way the blade is held in a bit.....

[Image: izFFsbV.jpg]

Thanks for being the first to review this razor!

6 876
 01-09-2018, 08:07 PM
User Info
Mine arrives Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 94
 01-09-2018, 08:12 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Looks somewhat trashy; the logo on top plate etc.
To each their own I guess.

102 18,687
 01-10-2018, 10:56 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
2I received the Starling Gem the other day and now have 2 shaves from it. I like to feel the blade and hearing the  feedback. For me the Blue plate was to mild so I switched to the Gold plate. I liked the Gold plate tho for me I would't say it was terribly aggressive when comparing it to my British Streamline which has a lot of blade feel and where the mowing down of my beard (thick) sounds like a tank coming down the street. The Gold plate gave me a smooth blade feel and nice feedback to where as my stubble was being leveled down the feedback became lower and smoother. 

For me I liked this razor better then the 2 newer Gems that have come out on the market, they were to mild for me, I wasn't getting the gem blade experience. Now what I did not like about the razor, The razor was to light so I switched out the handle to a stork 90 x 13 Ti aristocrat (45g) which gave me a little more heft to control the large but light head. The second thing is the head is large, I understand why it is so in its design, but I would have liked it to be a little smaller in its depth. As far as setting in the blade you have to pay attention to what your doing the blade holding pins are not precise and could be a drop longer also when the blade is set in properly there is no worry about the blade corners, there are small corner guards. 
[Image: 4t55YWS.jpg]

52 502
 01-10-2018, 11:17 AM
User Info
(01-10-2018, 10:56 AM)bijou Wrote: I received the Starling Gem the other day and now have 2 shaves from it. I like to feel the blade and hearing the have feedback. For me the Blue plate was to mild so I switched to the Gold plate. I liked the Gold plate tho for me I would't say it was terribly aggressive when comparing it to my British Streamline which has a lot of blade feel and where the mowing down of my beard (thick) sounds like a tank coming down the street. The Gold plate gave me a smooth blade feel and nice feedback to where as my stubble was being leveled down the feedback became lower and smoother. 

For me I liked this razor better then the 2 newer Gems that have come out on the market, they were to mild for me, I wasn't getting the gem blade experience. Now what I did not like about the razor, The razor was to light so I switched out the handle to a stork 90 x 13 Ti aristocrat (45g) which gave me a little more heft to control the large but light head. The second thing is the head is large, I understand why it is so in its design, but I would have liked it to be a little smaller in its depth. As far as setting in the blade you have to pay attention to what your doing also when the blade is set in properly there is no worry about the blade corners, there are small corner guards. 
[Image: 4t55YWS.jpg]

From what i read here and on other forums, is that most of the people who already have theirs, have reported quality control issues with the blue baseplate, it seems that the blade is not properly secured, which causes blade chatter. Does your razor have the same problem? I hope mine will be flawless, i was really looking forward to shaving with it, but now i'm concerned, i wasted my money on an overpriced aluminum handle. Very nice picture by the way.

0 19