01-12-2018, 08:49 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Very interesting thread, and thanks to all for the detailed reviews.

61 861
 01-13-2018, 04:12 AM
User Info
After three shaves with the yellow plate (b) I switched this morning to the blue plate (a) using the same Gem stainless coated blade as with the b plate. A little less blade feel but none the less a great two pass shave. My face after an hour feels very smooth and irritation free. I wanted to finish out with the blue plate with the same blade and then make my final evaluation. But so far I have absolutely no complaints about this razor. It is very similar to most of the Gem razors I have owned in the past except for one exception. This is a three piece razor and has more options then Gem razors pertaining to handles and changing plates.

Let me back track and reverse myself (slightly). After about two hours using the A plate (blue) I felt my face was not feeling as smooth as I like with some stubble present. I switched back to the B (yellow) plate and did another pass. Much better for me. So although I really like the A plate I will continue with the B plate which seems to fit my beard perfectly. It's trial and error.

132 13,518
 01-17-2018, 04:05 AM
User Info
I returned mine.  There was an issue with it.  I wrote to PAA explaining the situation and asking for guidance.  I didn't ask to return it or for a refund; I just asked what they would suggest.

Frances at PAA responded to my email within a couple hours with a return shipping label, a refund and a nice note.  So although the razor wasn't a keeper, PAA's customer support was as good as it possibly could have been.

11 221
 01-17-2018, 11:07 AM
User Info
(01-17-2018, 04:05 AM)BrickHud Wrote: I returned mine.  There was an issue with it.  I wrote to PAA explaining the situation and asking for guidance.  I didn't ask to return it or for a refund; I just asked what they would suggest.

Frances at PAA responded to my email within a couple hours with a return shipping label, a refund and a nice note.  So although the razor wasn't a keeper, PAA's customer support was as good as it possibly could have been.

Agree 100% on the great customer service, i decided to return mine as well

43 718
 02-03-2018, 02:36 PM
User Info
I've had a chance to use the Starling about a dozen times now. I am probably a 80 percent single edge razor shaver. I have had absolutely no problem with blades being misaligned using either plate. The plates lock down nicely and  the blades are straight. I find the blue plate to be a bit mild for me, but I prefer an aggressive razor. The gold plate does the trick for me smooth no irritation shave for me. I do my usual SE two pass shave. Its an affordable  modern Gem style razor I'd recommend to anyone who want to try out single edge Gem blade razor.

2 72