01-06-2018, 04:12 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
Not at all intentionally, this morning, yr obdnt srvnt documented his past year in DE shaves.  I was putting the tub of shaving soap back on the shelf of the medicine cabinet above the sink, when a knuckle on the back of my hand accidentally knocked my blade bank off its shelf.  The blade bank dropped straight down into the sink, which still was full of water, and the bottom plate of the blade bank came off, spilling the entire contents of the blade bank into the water of the sink.  I fished out the blades from the sink (carefully! ) with my fingers, but I could not put them back into the blade bank while they were (and the inside of the blade bank was) still wet, so I laid out the blades on a towel in a single layer and let the blades dry out fully there before feeding them back into the bank:  

[Image: dmq17WU.jpg]

Coincidentally, almost to the day last year, I had cleaned out and responsibly recycled the blades that were in the blade bank at that time, so the contents of the blade bank that spilled into the sink this morning represented exactly one year’s worth of DE blade usage.  On the right above are 30 KAI Stainless blades; on the left are 28 Feather Hi Stainless blades; between the two armies is a lonely single Gillette Silver Blue blade that I used after blade-banking a worn-out Feather blade and before loading a fresh KAI blade in September (Why? See this link), as I alternated between KAI and Feather blades the entire past year.  The blade currently in use, not part of the photo above, is a Feather, making for an even split:  30 KAI, 30 Feather or GSB, of the total of 60 blades.  

The collection above does not reflect every shave of the past year, however, as I often travel by commercial airlines with a Feather MR3 neo razor in my cabin luggage; so, although I shave cleanly every day, I do not engage in DE shaves within the duration of those trips.  Also, as I typically get one or two more shaves from each KAI blade than I do from each Feather blade, the 30-30 split in number of blades does not reflect a 50-50 percentage split between uses of each brand; if this were tennis, the score would be Advantage KAI.

What would your blue towel look like were you to spread out atop it every blade that you used in 2017?  

1 1,160
 01-07-2018, 11:43 AM
  • chazt
  • NYC
User Info
An educated guesstimate would be 40% Israeli Personna, 15% Med Prep, 15% Lab Blue, 15% Crystal, 5% GSB/7:00 Yellows/Perma Sharp/Kai, 5% Israeli made “store brand”, 4% Chick, 1% Gem.

8 2,685
 01-07-2018, 11:53 AM
User Info
+-3% error assumed

47 1,019
 01-12-2018, 07:49 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Interesting thread. I'l need to go through last year' log but my guess is 6 Personna 74s for around half the year and 12 or so others ( Spoilers, Platinum Plus, Personna Super Stainless, Wilkie Light Brigades, etc.) For the remainder.

8 2,419
 01-12-2018, 08:49 AM
  • chazt
  • NYC
User Info
(01-07-2018, 11:53 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: +-3% error assumed

Tongue

8 2,685