Poll: Whats your favorite Rose shaving cream?
Geo F Trumper Rose
Truefitt and Hill Rose Cyril R Salter Wild Rose D.R. Harris Rose Taylor of Old Bond Street Rose Vulfix English Rose eshave Floral
 08-30-2012, 10:53 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gents :

what is your favorite Rose shaving cream from the UK brands?

I have tried only Truefitt and Hill and Taylor of Old Bond Street : the first one has a lovely Rose scent , not too feminine , and the second one has a nice scent,but kind of floral.

The D.R. Harris and the Trumper are well regarded,and I have red good things about the Vulfix and the Cyril R Salter ones , but never have tried them.

I have the Geo F Trumper tallow based Rose shaving soap and smells very good indeed,with a strong Rose scent.

So,which one if your favorite?

86 7,123
 08-31-2012, 04:01 AM
User Info
Rose is the one scent that I strongly dislike. I actually get headaches from the scent. Oddly enough, I really like Le Labo's Rose 31 though which is a very complex cologne. I recommend trying it if you havent
Sorry- no hijack intended

9 333
 08-31-2012, 04:12 AM
User Info
Well... of those ones, I have only tried a sample of the GFT Rose. Both the scent and the performance were excellent, but I ended up buying the Coconut Smile

2 5,527
 08-31-2012, 04:32 AM
User Info
For creams, TOBS Rose is super, both fragrance and lather!

3 543
 08-31-2012, 06:00 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
Although mostly a soap user I always have a Rose cream around for a change. It usually takes me about a year to finish a tub. This year it's TOBS Rose, but when it's done I'll go back to Salter which I also like. I prefer the scent of TOBS which is more like the flower, but the performance of Salter. I don't know how to describe the Salter scent. My daughter says it's like a Tea Rose. As for the others, I don't care for GFT or Harris creams and haven't gotten around to using my sample of T&H Rose.

0 204
 08-31-2012, 07:47 AM
User Info
Vulfix one is very nice. Not too rosey which I like.

7 1,179
 08-31-2012, 09:58 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
D.R. Harris Rose cream...hands down. It is more like the classic English creams of several years ago...dense but very easy to lather.

The Salter creams have a tendency to get very liquidy and to separate...especially when it is warm.

45 16,298
 08-31-2012, 10:11 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I have the TOBS and the Vulfix and have tried the Trumper.

It's a close call but I may have to go with the Vulfix. Ask me tomorrow and that will probably change.

Now the D.R. Harris sounds very interesting. Will it stain my brush like the Trumper? I know it's temporary but it bothers me. Shy
The Vulfix and the TOBS do not cause me brush issues.

I love almost all rose scented things and the Le Labo 31 is one of my favorites. AMAZING stuff! I wish that they offered a cream or soap in this scent.

(08-31-2012, 04:01 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: Rose is the one scent that I strongly dislike. I actually get headaches from the scent. Oddly enough, I really like Le Labo's Rose 31 though which is a very complex cologne. I recommend trying it if you havent
Sorry- no hijack intended

6 905
 08-31-2012, 02:04 PM
User Info
Well, although I actually have some T&H Rose shaving cream still to use up, I am not a fan of floral scents, so my answer has to be "none of the above."

183 12,002
 09-01-2012, 08:41 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have had the Geo. F. Trumper Rose shaving cream and thought it was excellent.

2 11,211
 09-02-2012, 03:23 AM
  • madmedic
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Brecon UK
User Info
I have used TOBS and currently have a tube of GFT on the go. I have enjoyed both. Currently have tubs of T&H and Salter but have yet to try them

1 561
 09-02-2012, 06:35 AM
User Info
T&H is my favourite British Rose cream for its performance and scent. It's followed very closely by D.R. Harris which smells similar to the T&H and is a great performer too. It stains the brushes like GFT though. Next comes the GFT version which is just a bit more synthetic to my nose than the previous two. I find Vulfix even more synthetic, and I'm not a fan of its performance. I don't like the scent of the TOBS Rose cream. Also, besides RR Napoleon Violet, it's the only shaving cream that burns my face during shaving, and causes a post-shave irritation. I haven't tried Solter's Rose cream yet.

2 180
 09-02-2012, 07:11 AM
User Info
I have never used anything with a rose scent. The thought never entered my mind. What is the appeal of rose?

I found out that even Williams offered an optional rose scent for a time, so a lot of people must like it.

0 282
 09-02-2012, 07:54 AM
User Info
(09-02-2012, 07:11 AM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote: I have never used anything with a rose scent. The thought never entered my mind. What is the appeal of rose?

I found out that even Williams offered an optional rose scent for a time, so a lot of people must like it.
It's the desire of grown men to smell like an old lady.Biggrin

0 241
 09-02-2012, 09:45 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-02-2012, 07:11 AM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote: I have never used anything with a rose scent. The thought never entered my mind. What is the appeal of rose?

Hi

For me it brings the scent of the "classic" English Rose garden (memories of home, spending time out in the garden as a child with parents and grandparents, etc) into the bathroom, also it says to me "Summer", bright sunny days, time to get outside and enjoy the fresh air...

I do have to be careful though, too strong a rose scent will give me a mild headache, but to date I've not experienced that with the rose scented shaving creams/soaps I've tried - DR Harris, GEO F Trumper, Taylor of Old Bond Street, Truefitt & Hill, Ginger's Garden Shaving Soap - Mystic Rose, Ginger's Garden Shaving Soap - Midnight Rose and Mike’s Natural Soaps - Rose & Cedarwood.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-02-2012, 10:06 AM
  • jss
User Info
I've only used the Trumper, so I didn't vote..It works, but I'd try others before replacing it..It has the tendency to irratate my skin, and stain brushes....

Julian

0 264
 09-02-2012, 12:26 PM
User Info
I like the smell of roses. Period.

If you don't, you're just missing out.

9 2,988
 09-02-2012, 06:26 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Truefitt & Hill. All of their creams have top notch performance. Their rose is a very clean version, not too sweet. I don't like all the coloring in the DR Harris and Trumpers Rose creams. And the TOBS version irritates my skin a little. I have not tried the Vulfix rose cream.

Now, Teiste, I know this is a poll of the English made rose creams. This limitation excludes what I think is the best rose cream on the market: eShave Floral. The eShave edges out T&H for me. And if you haven't tried any of the eShave creams, you should. I should send you a sample with the next exchange package.

Actually, I'm not sure the eShave cream isn't made in England.

43 1,690
 09-02-2012, 11:07 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-02-2012, 06:26 PM)Andrew Wrote: Truefitt & Hill. All of their creams have top notch performance. Their rose is a very clean version, not too sweet. I don't like all the coloring in the DR Harris and Trumpers Rose creams. And the TOBS version irritates my skin a little. I have not tried the Vulfix rose cream.

Now, Teiste, I know this is a poll of the English made rose creams. This limitation excludes what I think is the best rose cream on the market: eShave Floral. The eShave edges out T&H for me. And if you haven't tried any of the eShave creams, you should. I should send you a sample with the next exchange package.

Actually, I'm not sure the eShave cream isn't made in England.

My friend : good point there : eshave creams are made in England as well as the Art of Shaving and AoS used to have a rose shaving cream too.

Thanks a lot and Im gonna add it to the poll.

86 7,123
 09-03-2012, 08:25 AM
User Info
Spending a lot of time in the garden (gairden), I love rose scents and for those that reckon its not manly, ye kin awa' an' bile yer heid (you can go and boil your head). Tongue

Only ever tried the TOBS one and have a pot of that on the go just now. 'Tis grand stuff although I probably won't try the others are some are around twice the price!

Got a thing for lavender & violet scents too....Blush

1 253