03-18-2018, 09:21 PM
User Info
(02-20-2018, 09:52 AM)zipper Wrote: Sebum Gold. Ordered some last night.  Rolleyes

My bucket list for 2018 included an SE. I went from mild DE, to aggressive DE, to Feather DX, to straights. Bought a Rocnel S50 a few weeks ago. Very heavy, yet very smooth. Zero pressure. Experience with straights helped a lot. I’m enjoying the wide blade (feather super).

Next up. Honing my own straights.

0 34
 03-22-2018, 06:08 PM
User Info
Shaver Heaven soaps are making a comeback, baby.

1 28
 03-23-2018, 12:25 PM
User Info
Saponificio Bignoli soap. I think I spelled it right... Blush

0 194
 03-30-2018, 07:22 AM
User Info
MWF......maybe

1 236
 04-02-2018, 11:41 AM
  • johnz
  • Traverse City, MI
User Info
(01-08-2018, 09:16 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Name one thing you’re going to try in 2018 (shaving related) - and hopefully, post back later and let us know how it went.

I’m going to try a month (January) of every-other-day shaves. For no other reason than just to see if I get more enjoyable results.

Try to figure out how use my boar brushes without them eating my lather.

0 30
 04-02-2018, 02:07 PM
User Info
I am going to try the original Forester XPEC cream, with its love-it-or-hate-it scent.

213 12,523
 04-02-2018, 02:39 PM
User Info
I've tried many new things in 2018. A bit of context, though. I have been wet shaving for just about 7 years. I experimented quite a bit early one, but in late 2012 I took a new job that took much of my time and focus so the experimentation had to end.  I settled into a routine using either my EJ89 or my Schick Krona, a Palmolive shave stick, and Gillette Cool Wave or Adidas Deep Energy AS. The job changed again a bit ago and I took another dive into wet shaving. Now to what is new for me in 2018:

1. Art of Shaving shave cream. Both Kingsmen and Eucalyptus.  Love them both and cannot decide a favorite 
  2. La Toja Shave stick. Easy and effective. Suits my utilitarian nature. 
  3. Floid Vigoroso. Hands down the best AS I have ever tried. I love the scent and find myself going into the bathroom 2 or 3 times a night after work to grab a smell. 
  4. Proraso green AS. Good, but not as appealing as the Floid in my opinion. 
  5. Rex Ambassador razor see my review here on The Nook titled A Day of Firsts.
  6. Gillette Silver Blue blades. Still evaluating them. I'm an Astra SP man because of the value. 
  7. Finally, I just ordered some Epsilon Blue Mediterranean. Will report when I try it. 
Thanks for letting me share.

0 58
 04-10-2018, 07:23 PM
User Info
I’m late wrapping up March, where I used Saponificio Varesino aftershaves for the entire month. I was trying to determine whether there is a difference (to my skin) in using a splash with more than just alcohol, menthol, water, and fragrance. After a month of SV splashes, which offer fantastic scents, I’m of the opinion that there is a positive difference - and it’s one I’ll gravitate to going forward (as much as I like Fine splashes, there IS a difference).

For April, I’ll be trying something I’ve never done before: a full month of only veg soaps. I’m pretty nervous about this, as tallow soaps are my tried & true daily drivers, and veg soaps struggle to protect on 4-pass shaves. That said, I’ve got some great options: Saponificio Varesino 70’th anniversary, PannaCrema Nuavia Verde, & CRSW Oliva Honeywood. Normally I rotate these in for pinch-hitting duties, but we’ll see how they fare over the month.

29 1,337
 04-11-2018, 02:57 PM
User Info
(04-10-2018, 07:23 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I’m late wrapping up March, where I used Saponificio Varesino aftershaves for the entire month. I was trying to determine whether there is a difference (to my skin) in using a splash with more than just alcohol, menthol, water, and fragrance. After a month of SV splashes, which offer fantastic scents, I’m of the opinion that there is a positive difference - and it’s one I’ll gravitate to going forward (as much as I like Fine splashes, there IS a difference).

For April, I’ll be trying something I’ve never done before: a full month of only veg soaps. I’m pretty nervous about this, as tallow soaps are my tried & true daily drivers, and veg soaps struggle to protect on 4-pass shaves. That said, I’ve got some great options: Saponificio Varesino 70’th anniversary, PannaCrema Nuavia Verde, & CRSW Oliva Honeywood. Normally I rotate these in for pinch-hitting duties, but we’ll see how they fare over the month.

I'll be interested

5 262
 04-11-2018, 04:40 PM
User Info
I've been sticking with the same line of soaps (Natural Ireland) for the past month.
This came in response to a suggestion from the maker.
I do believe what she said is true: using all-natural products has been beneficial for my skin.

8 996
 04-11-2018, 11:05 PM
User Info
I'll try some MWF I reckon.

1 481