01-09-2018, 12:20 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have been kicking around an idea of making leather travel cases for razors. DE razor case would be my first prototype. I often travel with my razor in a vintage plastic box, but not all razors fit it and it just kind of looks cheap. I have been making leather sheaths for the knives I make and I think a DE leather case would be a very nice item to have around for throwing the razor into the DOP kit. What do you think, would you want one?

28 1,796
 01-09-2018, 12:41 PM
User Info
I would use one for sure , especially if there anything like your brushes Vladimir .

24 366
 01-09-2018, 01:14 PM
User Info
Above the Tie makes a nice one for about $40.  I have one.

I never use it.

I put all my shaving stuff in a Dopp bag, and I have a T-shaped leather sheath that snugly protects the razor.

I should get rid of the ATT case.  I'm sure someone could use it.

Given that ATT makes and sells them, there must be a market.

15 281
 01-09-2018, 01:36 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-09-2018, 12:41 PM)DEdestroyer Wrote: I would use one for sure , especially if there anything like your brushes Vladimir .

I will try to live up to my reputation. I have been making leather things for a while now, but just never really though to apply this craft to wet shaving. I already started a prototype. Should be ready soon. I'll post some pictures. Always love to hear feedback. I am designing it to fit my longest razor, which is 1924 Gillette Big Fellow with New Improved head. I do not have a DE with a longer handle. I think a sheath that can handle that will be able to handle almost any DE.

28 1,796
 01-09-2018, 01:38 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-09-2018, 01:14 PM)BrickHud Wrote: Above the Tie makes a nice one for about $40.  I have one.

I never use it.

I put all my shaving stuff in a Dopp bag, and I have a T-shaped leather sheath that snugly protects the razor.

I should get rid of the ATT case.  I'm sure someone could use it.

Given that ATT makes and sells them, there must be a market.

Interesting. I was sure someone has already made one. $40 is about right for what I am thinking. They are not hard to make, but still time consuming. I use veg tanned lather and it needs to be died and finished. but I think it will be a very nice item.

28 1,796
 01-09-2018, 02:17 PM
User Info
I have an ATT, and I use it, but I dislike the snap on the front. Even a brass stud fastener would much look nicer IMO. Ultimately a leather fastener would be best, and least likely to scratch anything. Also, hand stitching adds to the aesthetics IMO.

8 390
 01-09-2018, 04:50 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-09-2018, 02:17 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: I have an ATT, and I use it, but I dislike the snap on the front. Even a brass stud fastener would much look nicer IMO. Ultimately a leather fastener would be best, and least likely to scratch anything. Also, hand stitching adds to the aesthetics IMO.

I looked at ATT offering. They say it's got a double wall front to hide the brass hardware from the razor handle. That was exactly my plan too. I do not have any stud buttons on hand (have some on order in the mail) and was going to go with a snap. Snaps are great, IMO. I have a slightly more complex shape in mind, also. ATT is a simple rectangle.

28 1,796
 01-09-2018, 05:18 PM
User Info
(01-09-2018, 04:50 PM)vferdman Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 02:17 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: I have an ATT, and I use it, but I dislike the snap on the front. Even a brass stud fastener would much look nicer IMO. Ultimately a leather fastener would be best, and least likely to scratch anything. Also, hand stitching adds to the aesthetics IMO.

I looked at ATT offering. They say it's got a double wall front to hide the brass hardware from the razor handle. That was exactly my plan too. I do not have any stud buttons on hand (have some on order in the mail) and was going to go with a snap. Snaps are great, IMO. I have a slightly more complex shape in mind, also. ATT is a simple rectangle.

There are flaps that cover the general area, and I use a plastic blade holder (like the one Feather blades come in) to hold blades in where the button would come in contact, the aps do not fully meet in the middle (mine is the design that holds a disassembled 3 piece razor), so I place the base plate and top cap Threading to the outside of the holding strap to physically pull them away from where the snap could come in contact.
My thought was more the snap cheapens the look of the case. It's a chrome tanned leather (I don't believe Is Horween, as this piece has a different feel than other Horween CXL I have), looks nice on its own, but that snap just cheapens the look IMO. I mentioned a brass stud because they look nice with the brown leather, and with vegetable tanned as well once it has aged a bit. These are merely opinions that I have formed with the ATT case and other leather goods I own.

8 390
 01-09-2018, 06:03 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-09-2018, 05:18 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: There are flaps that cover the general area, and I use a plastic blade holder (like the one Feather blades come in) to hold blades in where the button would come in contact, the aps do not fully meet in the middle (mine is the design that holds a disassembled 3 piece razor), so I place the base plate and  top cap Threading to the outside of the holding strap to physically pull them away from where the snap could come in contact.
My thought was more the snap cheapens the look of the case. It's a chrome tanned leather (I don't believe Is Horween, as this piece has a different feel than other Horween CXL I have), looks nice on its own, but that snap just cheapens the look IMO. I mentioned a brass stud because they look nice with the brown leather, and with vegetable tanned as well once it has aged a bit. These are merely opinions that I have formed with the ATT case and other leather goods I own.

I was talking about the case where only the assembled razor fits. I am not sure making a whole kit for the blades and extra plates, etc. is my cup of tea. When I travel I put everything into a dop kit and want the razor to be sheathed on its own. Maybe I am wrong on this...

28 1,796
 01-09-2018, 08:42 PM
User Info
Waterfield Designs sells a leather razor case. They are made in San Francisco. I have bought some of there products - very good quality.

Moderator Note:  Link to website not affiliated with TSN removed.

0 39
 01-10-2018, 04:38 AM
User Info
Timeless Razors sells a heavy duty leather razor pouch for $45.  Handmade by the Amish in Ohio.

0 60
 01-10-2018, 09:22 AM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Okay, so I came up with a prototype of my own and it is a lot like Timeless Razors one. A few differences are than I have covered the back of the snap on the inside. You can't see it from pictures, but at no point any of the brass hardware is touching a razor. There is soft thin leather lining the inside on the front panel. that covers up the snap. This is veg tanned leather that I cut, sewed and finished myself. I used Bison Brown die and neatfoot oil to finish, but I will also add some top finish to the leather to protect it. It is medium weight leather, not super thick. As it is, I think it is plenty thick enough, especially with added thin layer on the front panel. I think the handle part of the case can be made slightly wider, but this fits all the razors I tried. The tightest fit girth-wise was my vintage Progress, which has that knob on the bottom. It fit fine, but tight. The other razors I tried fit a bit loose in there. I water-formed the shape of leather to conform to its function. It feels really good in hand and works really well. I designed the case for the longest DE razor I had, which is Gillette Big Fellow. That razor fits perfectly and the shorter razors have some space between the head of the razor and the flap as can be seen in the pictures. This is my first crack at this project and I definitely have a few changes in mind for the next gen, but this is a very much functional and sturdy case.

[Image: 01I1qch.jpg]

[Image: HoVTvzZ.jpg]

[Image: b7JLXBS.jpg]

[Image: AKevM4t.jpg]

[Image: y7mLy6s.jpg]

[Image: vphALdk.jpg]

[Image: TSelVLI.jpg]

[Image: rktbd0A.jpg]

[Image: hMQLl35.jpg]

[Image: Ejmuia9.jpg]

28 1,796
 01-10-2018, 10:01 AM
User Info
Looks really nice, looks better quality than the one I got from WCS

10 115
 01-11-2018, 08:01 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Looks great!! Well thought out............

4 3,147
 01-11-2018, 05:26 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
Looks Great,  good thinking to cover the inside of the snap

Have you thought about possibly having a second snap a little further down the front?  that would allow the longer handles to use the first snap The shorter handles would use the second one further down.

3 543
 01-11-2018, 07:00 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-11-2018, 05:26 PM)DLP Wrote: Looks Great,  good thinking to cover the inside of the snap

Have you thought about possibly having a second snap a little further down the front?  that would allow the longer handles to use the first snap The shorter handles would use the second one further down.

David, I have thought about it, but abandoned the idea. I think it would look too busy with hardware and as it is, the shorter razors are very secure in there, even though they are able to move up and down in the extra headroom space. They have no risk at all of falling out.

One other thing I am thinking of addressing the issue of different length razors it to make the longest razor sit all the way don on the front piece and that way the flap will be just enough to go over th head. Heads on most DE's are similar in height and so they will all close snugly. The extra space in case of the sorter razor will be at the bottom of the handle where it can't be seen. I will definitely give that idea a go on my next iteration.

Thanks for the feedback!

28 1,796
 01-12-2018, 11:59 AM
User Info
I'm a big fan of leather cases to carry my things. I already have one to carry my fountain pens around with me and it's very convenient. I definitely wouldn't mind a leather case for when I want to bring a razor on a trip somewhere.

0 51
 01-14-2018, 11:09 AM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Here is the v2 of the case. This one is made with the same leather as the first one (5oz-6oz veg tanned), but features a stud closure instead of the snap, antiqued finish and a different design on the container. Now the razor head rests on the front panel of the sheath and the flap closes tightly over the head eliminating any movement of the razor within the sheath. the length of the handle makes no difference in this case. The razor will be held tight inside and not rattle at all. Again, the brass hardware is covered with a layer of thin leather on the inside so as not to come in contact with the razor. The pictures show my 1926 Gillette Big Fellow (the longest handle I have), vintage Merkur Progress (same as modern one with short handle) and Rockwell 6S securely contained in the case.

Let me know what you think.

[Image: OKRYn1k.jpg]

[Image: sblW0cC.jpg]

[Image: 0cqTqvu.jpg]

[Image: CSLJuAL.jpg]

[Image: kGOcXay.jpg]

[Image: E9owUpi.jpg]

[Image: S4AmWdL.jpg]

[Image: 2dHQadA.jpg]

[Image: D004Tnk.jpg]

28 1,796
 01-14-2018, 11:34 AM
User Info
I prefer the snap closure in v1, and the antique finish on v2.

53 7,965
 01-14-2018, 12:54 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Nice workmanship.....what i use is an eyeglass case..the hard clam style...they come in many sizes and colors and really protect your razor without worry of being crushed like in a soft style slip in.

6 2,093