01-13-2018, 08:28 AM
User Info
... what happened?  

Did you convert completely, meaning that now you shave with straight razors exclusively?  

Did you partially convert, meaning that now you shave with straight razors but also still shave with DEs and/or SEs?  If so, what percentage of your shaves is with a straight?

Did you originally convert completely but then revert to partial conversion, meaning that you shaved exclusively with straights for a period of time, but now shave with straights sometimes and DE/SE sometimes? 

Did you originally convert completely but then completely revert, meaning that you shaved exclusively with straights for a period of time but now never or only rarely use a straight? 

Did you switch to a "convenience schedule," meaning that you only shave with straights on the weekends or on days you have off work?  

I'm just getting started with shavettes and have a straight off for honing, so I am very curious to hear your stories.

3 1,936
 01-13-2018, 09:24 AM
User Info
I havent used my DE since I started straight razor shaving.

0 100
 01-13-2018, 09:29 AM
User Info
After BBS with a DE & SE blades moving to straights held my interest & gave me something new to learn.
I didn't want to use a DE for touch-ups so I'd do the best I could as I progressed making note of where I needed to improve.
I think I've used a DE once in the past few years.  Still enjoying the challenge & results.

20 170
 01-13-2018, 10:58 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Very similar to the previous responses. I switched last April and rarely use DEs.... let alone my single SE. I've used a DE maybe 10-20 times since April. Mostly in the beginning when I was learning. Now that I am decent with a straight, I rarely use a DE.

90 1,719
 01-13-2018, 02:10 PM
User Info
I've used them for 40 years. Used DE's a lot when I had small children running around underfoot, travelling, moving residences or when I oversleep

3 827
 01-13-2018, 04:14 PM
User Info
(01-13-2018, 09:24 AM)Badgerstate Wrote: I havent used my DE since I started straight razor shaving.

+1.  I thought I would be using DE a couple times a week but once I started it was all straight razor, never thought of using DE again.

19 511
 01-13-2018, 10:50 PM
User Info
In a year of using a straight, it's taught me to stretch skin and to use minimal pressure, with a proper 3 pass shave, and the result is a level of shave comfort that I don't readily want to compromise on.

So what has now happened is that even with a DE I use similar technique in order to achieve an excellent shave. In turn this means a DE does not save me much time and gives no other benefit. Having said that, if I'm in a HUGE hurry and I'm mentally distracted, I use a DE with limited skin stretching to save a few minutes and to make sure that, from a safety perspective, damage is minimal should something go wrong.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

0 11
 01-14-2018, 05:40 AM
User Info
Have been wetshaving for many many years and before making the change I was using a cart with canned goo then picked up a vintage DE and just wanted more from shaving so I picked of a Gold Dollar and cheapie strop and after that it’s all a blur, been using straights for several years now but I do reserve Sundays for my traditional Old Spice Sunday with one of several vintage DE or SE razors and lets not get me started on my honing addiction.

So for me straight shaving just makes shaving more rewarding and it surly makes you concentrate on proper technique, does it give you a better shave compared to other methods, that is another discussion but a good shave is a good shave no matter and if not you always have the next day to make it better.

7 1,631
 01-14-2018, 06:05 AM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
I started using a straight back in May 2016. Initially I thought I would convert to a full time straight shaver, so sold lots of DE, SE etc.

Turns out I like variety, and my shaves from a straight aren’t that close compared to what I get from a DE (also time consuming). So now I am back to using everything again. Although I am using only a straight this month

5 97
 01-15-2018, 08:35 AM
User Info
And I have gone to growing out a light beard so am in the process of honing all my razors and getting my bench cleaned up, I am only shaving my neck line and will only hone razors I get in for work as mine will be all done in another day or two

7 1,631
 01-15-2018, 09:51 AM
User Info
I've started with straight razors in October of last year, and am closing in on 100 shaves. Even with over 40 years of DE wet shaving under my belt, I'm still in a learning phase. I was used to BBS shaves every day with a DE or SE, and had to suppress the urge to get that kind of shave at first with the straight razor. With 2 passes now with a straight, and a third touch-up pass, I'm at DFS, and BBS over much of the face. If I want that experience of a super BBS, I'll do final touchups with a DE razor, so I can have the best of both worlds.

Going forward, I'll continue to use the straight, especially in the learning shave, and I've come to really enjoy the whole 'ritual' of straight shaving-the stropping, the care and focus that it takes to shave, the care of the blades. Once I've achieved a higher level of skill with the straight, I see myself shaving predominantly with a straight razor, with an occasional DE or SE shave.

30 901
 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM
User Info
I started with a straight razor about two years ago. I gave up on it pretty quickly and went back to DE shaving. Recently I started back with my straight razor. Been shaving exclusively for five weeks now. It is going much better this time around and I plan to stick with it. I do not plan on giving up by DE razors. I plan on having a rotation some days straight and some days DE.

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 46
 01-16-2018, 06:35 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(01-13-2018, 08:28 AM)kingfisher Wrote: ... what happened?  

Did you convert completely, meaning that now you shave with straight razors exclusively?  

Did you partially convert, meaning that now you shave with straight razors but also still shave with DEs and/or SEs?  If so, what percentage of your shaves is with a straight?

Did you originally convert completely but then revert to partial conversion, meaning that you shaved exclusively with straights for a period of time, but now shave with straights sometimes and DE/SE sometimes? 

Did you originally convert completely but then completely revert, meaning that you shaved exclusively with straights for a period of time but now never or only rarely use a straight? 

Did you switch to a "convenience schedule," meaning that you only shave with straights on the weekends or on days you have off work?  

I'm just getting started with shavettes and have a straight off for honing, so I am very curious to hear your stories.

Once I'd mastered the straight (~2-3 months, I really don't remember), I've--with rare exceptions--only gone back to a DE when we're traveling.  I find the straight gives a closer shave, fewer nicks, and is far more enjoyable overall.

4 787
 01-16-2018, 09:41 AM
User Info
@BSWoodturning........

I would say my experience was the same as yours.

What I find amusing is that if someone had said to me 3 years ago that I'd end up almost exclusively shaving with a straight, I would have told them to have their head read!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

0 11
 01-16-2018, 10:34 PM
User Info
I learned straight shaving 18 months ago and did it exclusively for a while, mainly AC Pro Super blades in a Feather DX or Kai Captain Excelia shavette. I eventually went back to AC safety razors, but I still use the shavettes for touch-up, which virtually guarantees BBS for every shave. Best of both worlds.

0 146
 01-18-2018, 01:34 PM
User Info
Fully with straights except for the aforementioned travel or oversleep exemptions

10 70
 01-20-2018, 12:45 PM
User Info
I knew I would not need to buy blades again. After becoming familiar with straight razors I would not be prone to the latest shaving system or razor. All I need is just a decent blade to hone and have a nice shave.

0 22
 01-20-2018, 05:42 PM
User Info
I started dabbling with SR about 10 years ago and mostly for for the last 5 only SR. I still look forward to using some of my DE and SE from time to time. My bottom dial, floating head, 2011 R11, Ziglar slant and ER lather catchers still go into rotation

8 232
 02-15-2018, 05:13 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Straights only, but I do use a disposable to shave the back of my neck. When traveling by air, a couple of Gold Dollars or user-grade straights are in the checked luggage.

Cheers, Steve

7 621
 02-15-2018, 06:36 PM
User Info
Straights for me unless I'm in a rush and afraid of creating a new orifice somewhere on my face.
Then I turn to the only DE I own.

0 34