02-21-2018, 11:43 AM
User Info
This is all good to know, i am getting my first straight in a few days and very excited about it. I shall report back here after first shave!
feel free to give pointers.

20 860
 02-22-2018, 07:41 AM
User Info
(02-21-2018, 11:43 AM)snowman Wrote: This is all good to know, i am getting my first straight in a few days and very excited about it. I shall report back here after first shave!

My first pointer is two pointers.  

1) For the first few shaves, do a WTG pass with your DE first. 

2) For the first few shaves, use the straight razor only for a second WTG pass and only on your cheeks.  

This is the best way to ease into the concept of straight razor shaving and to get a feel for the razor without much difficulty.

3 1,743
 02-22-2018, 10:27 AM
User Info
(02-21-2018, 11:43 AM)snowman Wrote: This is all good to know, i am getting my first straight in a few days and very excited about it. I shall report back here after first shave!

Congratulations!  You've gotten a lot of good pointers; so take it easy and enjoy.

4 696
 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I used a DE's exclusively (Fat Boy and Slim) for about 50 years, then I discovered the forums and shaved with an SE (Cobra Classic) for a year. I decided to try a straight, and after my first shave, I don't think I picked up anything other than a straight for the next four years. Now I have an occasional day that I have to leave for work much earlier than usual to catch up on paperwork in my office, and will use a DE or SE when I'm trying to rush out the door. I enjoy the whole process of using a straight, including honing your razors and using proper stropping, and I feel that I'm more in a "zen moment" when using a straight over a DE or SE. There is a whole culture just around different hones, as well as strops, etc. The shave itself is just a small part of the overall experience of using a straight.

38 5,374
 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM
User Info
(02-22-2018, 10:44 AM)evnpar Wrote: I used a DE's exclusively (Fat Boy and Slim) for about 50 years, then I discovered the forums and shaved with an SE (Cobra Classic) for a year. I decided to try a straight, and after my first shave, I don't think I picked up anything other than a straight for the next four years. Now I have an occasional day that I have to leave for work much earlier than usual to catch up on paperwork in my office, and will use a DE or SE when I'm trying to rush out the door. I enjoy the whole process of using a straight, including honing your razors and using proper stropping, and I feel that I'm more in a "zen moment" when using a straight over a DE or SE. There is a whole culture just around different hones, as well as strops, etc. The shave itself is just a small part of the overall experience of using a straight.

Agreed.  I go back to a DE from time to time for something different and I always find that I get more irritation and weepers with a DE than I ever do with my Feather AC.

0 59
 02-22-2018, 11:43 AM
User Info
(02-22-2018, 07:41 AM)kingfisher Wrote:

My first pointer is two pointers.  

1) For the first few shaves, do a WTG pass with your DE first. 

2) For the first few shaves, use the straight razor only for a second WTG pass and only on your cheeks.  

This is the best way to ease into the concept of straight razor shaving and to get a feel for the razor without much difficulty.

Thanks for the tip. I've been following the other thread you started and i saw that this was your routine for your first number of shaves. I plan on doing the same, it's a good way to ease into it.

(02-22-2018, 10:27 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote:

Congratulations!  You've gotten a lot of good pointers; so take it easy and enjoy.

Thank you Sir. I am very much looking forward to it. I really would like to enjoy it so hopefully it will be an enjoyable experience.

20 860