12-01-2017, 07:05 PM
User Info
Looks good.  I just ordered one.

22 260
 12-02-2017, 04:58 AM
User Info
After reading everyone’s reviews I switched the top plate to level 3.
Feather Pro-Guard blade Occam on Rt & Cobra on Lt. I used the same blade, changing it between sides. WTG Cobra is easier to maneuver, I found the deep Safety bar on the Occam inhibited some under my nose. More blade feel on the Cobra, Occam was very smooth. Hair removed about the same. XTG once again equal post rinse feel but the Occam is a little harder to maneuver, still working on a good grip on the handle but it is smooth. ATG(except on part of my neck) lot of blade chatter on the Occam but still smooth, rinse, BBS with Cobra (except for trouble spot on my neck) Occam needs an 8 stroke touch up.
Overall impression:
Positives: It was easy to change the head with #1 Phillip’s screwdriver. Blade is easy to load and unload,easier than Cobra. All SS razor with simple design and a nice weight. Still need to work on a grip for the flat handle.Very smooth shave overall. No knicks, cuts or weepers, very little sting with the Alum.
Negatives: Not as maneuverable as the Cobra, and for me not a natural grip for the handle. I am sure there is a reason they made the depth of the safety bar so large but it does interfere with shaving around my lips.
I will give it a few more shaves, but for now, I’m glad I didn’t pay the MSRP. I’d take either of my Cobras for about the same price.

12 261
 12-02-2017, 12:27 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
The third shave in and I am even more impressed. The rattle does not effect the quality of the shave in any negative way. I do not know if it improves the shave any. But it does shave very well. Shavemd commented on the depth of the safety bar. I think the design of the safety bar is to insure that the razor does not clog easily. So far clogging has not been an issue with this razor. So far with each shave, I am more impressed. I have moved it up in my rating. I now think it is a bit better than the ATT SE. I find this razor to shave easier and closer under my nose than the ATT does. My only problem yet is that the razor requires more buffing in my problem areas. For my next shave I may try the 3 dot head.

80 1,160
 12-02-2017, 03:24 PM
User Info
 Round 2 with the Occam's. Tried the 3 dot plate/head, but continued to use the Feather Super Pro. Quick change in about 20 seconds. No issue with the screws and threading on the new plate. Untighten the screws, leave them in their slots and align the head. Tighten them up and done. Blade went in without a hitch. 

I would say that in all honesty, I would have to agree with @Shavemd concerning the protruding safety guard. I feel as if it hinders the shave somewhat in that it prohibits the user from getting into tight spots. And the wide head doesn't help with the situation either. But, I will say that with the 3 dot head, I got a much better shave than the first one. Near BBS in 3 passes, but again I needed extensive buffing because of the guard & wide head. The Super did not feel overly aggressive or fierce to be honest, and it went through the stubble with ease. Not nearly as aggressive as I thought. The soap really helped with the buffing session, if not my face would be on fire right now. Just very light irritation on the chin that was gone with the alum and cold water rinse. No nics, cuts or weepers to speak of. 

I'm not writing it off yet, by no means. I'm giving it a full weeks worth of shaves before I make a decision if it is rotation worthy or not. I've gotten 2 good shaves so far, but needed to put in some work to get them. The handle is a bit confusing, especially when trying to get an angle on the neck and corners of the mouth. Still trying to figure out the best way to hold it. So, 3 things for me so far. The over extended guard, the wide head and figuring out the best way to wield this tool. 

Like I said, I'm putting in a full week with it. Next shave though I'm trying a Proline in the 3 dot just to see how it performs in the most aggressive setting. Jury is still out....

[Image: 0VU9Y64.jpg]

1 210
 12-05-2017, 01:28 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
The fourth shave is done and I think I know this razor now. For this shave, I switched to the 3 dot (most aggressive) setting. I had a full two-day growth of beard. The razor handled well and shaved cleanly. This setting, however, is a bit too aggressive for me. I was very careful and used short strokes. Even so, I wound up with two weepers on my neck. With the 2 dot head I had gotten a nice smooth long lasting shave. My only complaint was that I had to do considerable buffing of my problem areas. On the plus side even though I had to keep going over my problem areas I experienced no aftershave discomfort or irritation. With the 3 dot head, I still had to buff my problem areas. However, with the 3 dot head, I only needed to buff my problem areas once or twice. Whereas, with the 2 dot head I had to buff these areas 3 or 4 times. For me, the best fit is the 2 dot head. I do not mind having to buff my problem areas several times. As previously mentioned, even after buffing several times I still get a BBS shave with no irritation. This razor is a keeper. It is not necessarily my favorite single edge razor. My favorites are The One Blade and the Sabre with either plate. However, for the price, this razor is worth a purchase.

80 1,160
 12-06-2017, 05:27 AM
User Info
Put three more shaves in with a Proline and KAI ProTouch MG Pink. This shave here was with the KAI and perhaps gave the best shave out of the 5. A 2 pass shave with no touch ups or buffing required that was very smooth, comfortable and efficient.

This razor is slowly starting to gain some momentum with the past three results. Starting to make a case for itself to be considered a possibility in my razor rotation. 2 more shaves to put in and I'll make my final assessment on the Occam's.....

[Image: xax3WpN.jpg]

[Image: 4ztaK3k.jpg]

[Image: wRHbKSO.jpg]

[Image: BkZvej1.jpg]

Sorry for the bad pics. My picture skills suck....

But hopefully you can see a bit of the blade gap and exposure of the blade. The last pic, though not very clear shows a profile of the blade gap. Looks intimidating but feels nothing like the pic shows. With the floating blade design, it is extremely forgiving and comfortable.....

1 210
 12-06-2017, 12:58 PM
User Info
Where is this razor being sold?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 1,158
 12-06-2017, 01:19 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(12-06-2017, 12:58 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Where is this razor being sold?

Classic Shaving

80 1,160
 12-06-2017, 01:20 PM
User Info
(12-06-2017, 01:19 PM)Barrylu Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 12:58 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Where is this razor being sold?

Classic Shaving

Thanks!!

3 1,158
 12-06-2017, 05:21 PM
User Info
Luke put up a short video on YouTube to show how he grips the handle. I am going to give it a try when I return from vacation. I love the simple design and am getting used to maneuvering it around my face. Now need to work on a comfortable grip. The Shave has always been smooth.

12 261
 12-09-2017, 11:52 AM
User Info
12/9/17

Round 6

Decided to let a few days go by and get some decent growth and throw the Occam's at it. Same items as in the last shave except for the Maggard synthetic. Everything worked together as planned. Just an excellent 2.5 pass shave that was super comfortable and produced a wonderful BBS shave. The razor went right through 4 days growth without a hiccup and the KAI blade felt sharp, smooth and efficient. The ProTouch MG is an excellent match for the Occam's on the 3 dot plate. Of course that's just my own personal experience. Nonetheless, it pairs very, very well.

The grip of the razor has been more comfortable since I saw the link with Luke Webster giving a few tips and pointers on how to use and hold the razor. I will say that on ATG passes, I still get a better feel and better control with my thumb behind the razors head. But used it as was mentioned on the link on the WTG and minor touch up passes. The shaves have been better and this one was the best, rivaling some of the better shaves I've given myself with other, more well known SE razors. One more to go and an overall write up in tune....
[Image: dH7zVZD.jpg]

1 210
 12-17-2017, 06:48 AM
User Info
Contributor

Quote:12/16/17

Rounds 7,8 & 9

Haven’t been able to put the last 2 shaves prior to this one in the shave report spaces here. Work, family and the holiday shuffle have been very hectic, plus I received a vintage injector razor that I just had to try out. That’s done and over with (great shave by the way with the injector, report on that soon). Put 3 more shaves in from last Saturday to today and they have been just superb.

I will just come out flat and say it. The razor stays in my rotation as it has proven to be an excellent and efficient razor regardless of hair growth from 1-3 days in my experience. It took me 2-3 shaves to get it dialed in, but once I got the feel, grip and technique for it, it has been smooth sailing without a single issue. All shaves have produced excellent results with various blades in the mix. From a Feather Pro Super, Schick Proline and KAI ProTouch Pink’s, no complaints at all with neither of them. I will say that my best shaves came at the hands of the KAI ProTouch Pink with the 3 dot head. They were smooth, comfortable and very close that gave really good longevity on face feel and duration of quality of shave. I must say that I never did use the 1 dot head in the razor. But I will in the future experiment with the 1 dot head. As for now, the 2 & 3 dot were more than enough to get me good, consistent shaves.

First, the pro’s on the Occam’s razor:
1. Solid build and construction. SS gents, it’s not going anywhere. Fit and finish is top notch with not a hint of sloppiness in its construction.
2. Adjustability. You can set it to your favorite set up and forget it. Like I said, I never tried the 1 dot head but with the other 2 sizes I never felt an overly aggressive shave or blade feel with it. Just smooth shaves and I never felt that I would cut or nic myself with it.
3. Weight distribution. Though I thought it should have weighed more since it’s all SS, it was surprisingly light but, very well balanced. Good in the hands, with good transitional movement between WTG, XTG and ATG shave passes. It has a sort of tongue depressor type handle, but it never felt slippery nor did I drop it. And the groove on the handle actually aides in getting a proper grip just right under the head.
4. Blade insertion/removal is a snap. I actually don’t use the tool that came included with it for removing and installing a blade. Just grab a blade, insert from the rear of the head, and a gentle 2 finger push on the blade from both ends. Easy as pie.
5. Great clean and rinse razor. No other safety razor comes close in clearing out soap and hair. Nothing.
6. Nice, wide head. Covers more real estate with each pass.

Now the con’s. I don’t have much, but I believe they are significant in holding back a razor that is good that potentially could have been great:
1. The guard. It is just a big safety guard and I believe it doesn’t allow for the blade to engage more smoothly with the skin. A little less safety bar would turn this razor up a notch in efficiency and feel in my opinion.
2. Ease of adjustability. Let’s face it, having to use a tool (small Phillips head ) to remove 2 screws to change head types is a bit of a nuisance. Though you get an extra set in the razor kit, if you’re careless or happen to drop one in your bathroom/shave den sink, good luck. I think a simple slide and lock mechanism would have been much better and easier to deal with in changing those head plates. Besides, who uses a tool to shave with their razor? Exactly.
3. The handle can be an issue. It’s love or hate and getting a proper grip or hold of it can be a bit of an issue. It took me a few shaves to figure it out and find a hold I was comfortable with. Not a deal breaker, but has to be mentioned nonetheless.
4. Maneuverability. The wide head is great on flat, clean passes. But getting into the corners of your mouth and lining up those sideburns can be a real problem. Again, the safety bar for me is the culprit here. And if you have a pronounced Adams Apple such as I do, it can get tricky moving around there. Not impossible, but more work required to get it done compared to others. I don’t shave the stache area, but I can see where using it can be a problem. Again, back to the safety bar here.

In the end, the Occam’s is a very capable razor in giving excellent shaves. My shaves got better as I got more and more shaves in. Worked with every blade I put in it. The razor never felt aggressive nor did I feel that it was capable of cutting me.

The razor has great potential in being an everyday shaver. A simpler system for changing the heads and a reduced safety bar contact area would pay off big dividends in making it more user friendly and a force in the safety razor world. It’s a competent razor that gets it done, but I believe with a couple of tweaks it can be a top shaver in anyone’s shave arsenal. As it stands, it’s just a notch below, a tiny one to some of the heavy hitters in my possession. But it’s a keeper and it has a uniqueness to it that draws me in. Anyway, that’s how I see it......

[Image: jzQ1O18.jpg]

[Image: ONaCipi.jpg]

1 210
 12-31-2017, 06:38 AM
  • jar
User Info
Returned to the Occam's razor, this time the medium head and Schick Proline Blade.  Once again it produced a simple two pass and minimal touchup near perfect shave, as comfortable and efficient as with my ATT SE1.  The razor is super easy to clean and maintain and just plain works.

I'll admit I had very low expectations for the razor but it has far exceeded anything I expected. This is one razor I find is worth even full retail.

0 256
 12-31-2017, 06:47 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
I only have about 4 shaves with this razor, but the results are VERY good.  I have yet to cut myself or cause any irritation and the end result is way better than my DE.

26 646
 12-31-2017, 09:19 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I started with the middle ( 2dot) head and was well pleased. Next, I tried the most aggressive head and was not as well pleased. I never considered trying the least aggressive head (1 dot). I knew from past experience I usually am not pleased with really mild razors. However, one day, on a lark I tried the 1 dot head. It was like Goldilocks and the baby bears chair and bed. The one dot was just right. Surprisingly the least aggressive head was the best. Who knew?

80 1,160
 12-31-2017, 11:36 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(12-31-2017, 09:19 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I started with the middle ( 2dot) head and was well pleased. Next, I tried the most aggressive head and was not as well pleased. I never considered trying the least aggressive head (1 dot). I knew from past experience I usually am not pleased with really mild razors. However, one day, on a lark I tried the 1 dot head. It was like Goldilocks and the baby bears chair and bed. The one dot was just right. Surprisingly the least aggressive head was the best. Who knew?

I have to try the the one dot head too.  I have only used the two dot and have been very pleased.

26 646
 01-04-2018, 10:07 AM
User Info
(12-31-2017, 09:19 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I started with the middle ( 2dot) head and was well pleased. Next, I tried the most aggressive head and was not as well pleased. I never considered trying the least aggressive head (1 dot). I knew from past experience I usually am not pleased with really mild razors. However, one day, on a lark I tried the 1 dot head. It was like Goldilocks and the baby bears chair and bed. The one dot was just right. Surprisingly the least aggressive head was the best. Who knew?

I too have moved from the 2 dot head to the 1 dot.  Right now, I agree with my fellow Oregonian that the 1 dot head seems to be just right for me.  Thus far I have been using the KAI Pink Mild blade.  I am very impressed with this razor, provided you can handle the rattling noise it makes.  It doesn't affect the close and comfortable shave as far as I can determine.  The end result is similar to the Colonial General.

eric.

9 159
 01-14-2018, 02:22 PM
User Info
I recently purchased Occam's razor, and tried to insert a Schick P30 .  Unfortunately I could not get it to lock in correctly.  Has anyone else successfully used a Schick blade in Occam's razor?  I have been using the KAI PINK mild blade, and have been getting excellent results.  The KAI blade locks in perfectly.  I have yet to use a Feather Professional but I have no doubt they fit correctly since they are sold as one of the razor packs with Occams.  I really like the Schick blade, and will be very disappointed if they do not fit the Occam's razor.

eric.

9 159
 01-14-2018, 04:29 PM
User Info
I saw on another forum that Schick Proline blades can be used with the Occam's razor.  So I took another look at my blade.  After examining my Schick Proline blade carefully I saw that it had a small bit of extra steel extending beyond where the blade should have ended. A pair of metal snips did the trick, and it now seats perfectly. I hope all my Prolines don't have the same problem.

eric

9 159
 01-14-2018, 11:50 PM
User Info
(01-14-2018, 04:29 PM)glassmtn Wrote: I saw on another forum that Schick Proline blades can be used with the Occam's razor.  So I took another look at my blade.  After examining my Schick Proline blade carefully I saw that it had a small bit of extra steel extending beyond where the blade should have ended. A pair of metal snips did the trick, and it now seats perfectly. I hope all my Prolines don't have the same problem.
I've been using the Proline for sometime now and I have to say I never encountered this problem. The P-30's are my favorite blades, substituting the pro because of the extra smoothness they provide. The only SE's I don't use the proline with are the RX which I use with a pro-guard and the General which I use with a super pro. 

eric

0 447