08-31-2012, 11:29 AM
User Info
Hey everyone!

I have a semi important recommendation to solicit. Cool

I recently had cataract surgery on one eye. Number 2 happens in two weeks, woohoo! Real quick let me just say it's been an amazing joy rediscovering all I'd been missing! Anyway, I'm a bit sensitive to bright sunlight and I could really use a good pair of shades! I've never really been one to wear any, as I depended on my glasses.

Can anyone recommend a really good pair, not too expensive, say +/- $100? My preference would be towards wrap style, polarized (thoughts on that, pros & cons?) and nice and dark to get the most brightness reduction. Oh and of course, I wanna look cool too! Cool

4 253
 08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
Hey John!

I'm not sure if you can swing it, but I can tell you that the Oakley Inmates (polarized) are worth 3x their price.
They're solidly built, and give you the impression they're meant to last. IMHO the plastic Oakleys feel much more fragile.
These frames/lenses actually "wrap" enough that you don't get too much light in from the side.

The Oakley polarized lenses are second to none. We tried all of the heavy hitters when we moved to FL.

Best of luck!

Plus Denzel wore them in this movie. You could look like such a badA 24

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFHocjM_ejFq4WviN55dD...G5l5op&t=1]

I have this pair/color combo...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHteFbrNtoQ8MtVcqUhkT...8ksCd6IOHA]

11 366
 08-31-2012, 12:07 PM
User Info
Thanks B! Those are pretty sweet! I'll check em out. The second pic kinda reminds me of Boss Godfrey from Cool Hand Luke! "Shakin' the bush, Boss!"

That Eli movie was great BTW. Loved the twists!

4 253
 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Meh, I've tried those in store and look ugly in them, LOL.
It all depends on your face, man. Gotta try them on.

88 4,233
 08-31-2012, 12:09 PM
User Info
Oakley glasses are very expensive with a prescription. Use the wrapper around glasses they give you after the surgery and then after 6 months later get a regular pair of sunglasses which should be a lot cheaper.

98 12,361
 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM
User Info
Thats super true Steve! I kinda think I have a big fat head LOL, so not everything works on me either!

I think I'm more or less trying to get quality and features to look for when I shop. Ideas to take to stinkin' Sunglass Hut and see what I like Cool

Thanks Jerry! I dunno if I could swing the elderly welder look with the ones they give Biggrin But they've helped some. Great thing is, I really dont think I'll need a prescription for my everyday getting around, so that'll save me big $$$.

I wouldn't get one now anyway, since things are going to change with eye #2 and with the major difference between them right now. But whats pretty neat, and this may come out sounding silly, but its neat how our brain puts the picture together from both eyes to create a complete picture. I have one eye thats corrected and seeing well (for me) and one thats very blurry. Depending on my focus, what I actually see is mostly good, with the fuzz filtered out in the complete picture. Its pretty cool!

BTW, the forum combined these two posts and forced me to do it. I couldnt post again. How come?

4 253
 08-31-2012, 12:26 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Hey John, lots of luck on the second surgery and have a blast looking for those Mr. Cool shades. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 08-31-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
I have an eye problem and one eye is very sensitive to light... I've tried all the big brands... the best (IMHO), maui jim... they polarized lenses are simply amazing... Serengeti polarized are also good. My advice, buy them at Costco, $70-80 for $200-250 glasses.

3 315
 08-31-2012, 01:54 PM
User Info
Glass lenses: Maui Jim
Plastic lenses: Oakley (even though they're kind of douchey). I still wear them. In fact, my current sports glasses are really douchey. White frames with red lenses.

9 2,987
 08-31-2012, 02:15 PM
User Info
Thanks Joe! I hadn't heard of Maui Jim, I'll look into them. And yes, Costco! Great idea! Good to see you here at TSN!

Lee, that cracked me up because it's so right on! Ha! Thanks man!

4 253
 08-31-2012, 06:07 PM
User Info
Good luck with the surgery, John.

74 20,796