01-16-2018, 01:17 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I am a huge fan of Semogue two band/boar mix knots. They are about 50/50 badger/boar from what I understand. I have three brushes with those (2012 SE SOC and two other fora brushes) and I really love them. I've been trying to find the knots like that, but couldn't. Until now. I saw a two band/boar mix knot at Maggard Razors. I bought one to try. Just got it today and just by looking at the knot out of the box I really like it. It's very dense, seems to have more badger than the Semogue, but that's pure speculation on my part. I have no idea what the ratio is in this knot.

This is why I am posting this. Has anyone ever tried this knot in a brush? I will definitely set it into a handle try it very soon, but I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this knot. It seems really nice. It's not super-cheap, but not super expensive, either and can be a very good option for people like myself who love the combination.

28 1,796
 01-16-2018, 03:08 PM
User Info
I bought one.

I've been test lathering it. Palm lathering only so far. Hoping to try it out sooner rather than later but haven't found the time yet.

I'm pretty sure it's 70% badger in the description. 30% boar.

I am impressed with it. 
I haven't heard much about it either. 

It's surprising how soft it is at the tops really. Not what I was expecting. The only other brush I've had to compare - from memory - was a Grosvenor that I eventually just re-knotted.

11 1,626
 01-16-2018, 08:00 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Great info. I will be trying it soon myself. I love boars and think a good boar well broken in is soft in the tips just like badger, sometimes softer. Once those tips begin to split up they become real fine and the brush feels amazing. This is why I am so interested in this knot. I think it has a lot of potential.

Like I said, Semogue mixed knots are some of my very favorite. I tried Grosvenor mix once, but I think it was mostly boar and not that great a bore either. Nice handle, though. I also tried Omega mixed hair and that was a lso underwhelming as it's a mix with a pure badger, I think. Not real comfortable. Semogue hit the bullseye with the mix and this Maggard knot looks real promising. I am surprised more people aren't trying it. Maybe not too many know about it. I didn't until I stumbled on it the other day.

28 1,796
 01-17-2018, 11:32 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I bought one also for a Rubberset 400 restore.  I'm curious as to how much backbone it has so I have an idea on where to set the loft.

65 755
 01-17-2018, 11:56 AM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-17-2018, 11:32 AM)ddk13 Wrote: I bought one also for a Rubberset 400 restore.  I'm curious as to how much backbone it has so I have an idea on where to set the loft.

I'll be setting mine like a two band, maybe a hair higher. The boar bristles in it look very fine. I have a few Semogue boar brushes with low loft (50mm) and find them outstanding. If the boar quotient is 30% in this knot, I think setting it like a normal two band is good enough.

28 1,796
 01-17-2018, 03:51 PM
User Info
(01-17-2018, 11:56 AM)vferdman Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 11:32 AM)ddk13 Wrote: I bought one also for a Rubberset 400 restore.  I'm curious as to how much backbone it has so I have an idea on where to set the loft.

I'll be setting mine like a two band, maybe a hair higher. The boar bristles in it look very fine. I have a few Semogue boar brushes with low loft (50mm) and find them outstanding. If the boar quotient is 30% in this knot, I think setting it like a normal two band is good enough.

Are you referring to the the 24mm or 26mm knot?

29 383
 01-17-2018, 04:00 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-17-2018, 03:51 PM)morecolor Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 11:56 AM)vferdman Wrote:

I bought a 24mm knot.

28 1,796
 01-17-2018, 06:52 PM
User Info
(01-17-2018, 04:00 PM)vferdman Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 03:51 PM)morecolor Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 11:56 AM)vferdman Wrote: I'll be setting mine like a two band, maybe a hair higher. The boar bristles in it look very fine. I have a few Semogue boar brushes with low loft (50mm) and find them outstanding. If the boar quotient is 30% in this knot, I think setting it like a normal two band is good enough.

I bought a 24mm knot.

Kool..
I'll be interested how it works out..

29 383
 02-15-2018, 05:25 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Well, I have tried Maggard's mixed Badger/Boar (70/30, according to Maggard's) knot. I like it a lot! I only had one shave with it. I bought mine as a 24mm and installed in the handle with 25.4mm (1") knot opening. So I would call that a 26mm brush. I set the loft around 49mm. This knot is very dense! I felt a lot of bristle feel, but no scritch. There is definitely room for break in of the boar bristles. I really like this knot. My preference is for a good scrubby brush. I am not a fan of cloudy soft brushes. Though occasionally I will enjoy a good quality two band or a synthetic for a soft experience. One of my favorite brushes is Semogue mixed hair one they did for a Portuguese shaving forum Barbear Classico. I also like the 2012 SE SOC, which a mixed hair brush kind of like Caravella. This is why I was so glad to see a mixed hair offering in a knot-only market. Maggard's mixed hair knot is very good for my taste. I definitely recommend it to folks who enjoy a good scrub and excellent density.

I will post a picture of the whole brush I made for myself with this knot in the near future.

28 1,796
 02-15-2018, 06:24 PM
User Info
I'm going to use mine tomorrow. I've been saying that for weeks. Hahaha.

Mine has wicked frizz. Like a bunch of really fine wispy hairs above the dome of the knot. It looks cool actually. Not super perfect and mass produced looking although it very well may be.

We'll see about tomorrow though...

11 1,626
 02-16-2018, 03:59 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-15-2018, 06:24 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I'm going to use mine tomorrow. I've been saying that for weeks. Hahaha.

Mine has wicked frizz. Like a bunch of really fine wispy hairs above the dome of the knot. It looks cool actually. Not super perfect and mass produced looking although it very well may be.

We'll see about tomorrow though...

Mine also had a few hair above the bulk, but mostly a very well shaped knot. It's dense! Staying tuned to see how you like it "tomorrow" Smile

28 1,796
 03-06-2018, 02:25 PM
  • vferdman
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have been using this knot for a few consecutive shaves now and am really loving it! It is very dense, holds lots of leather and releases it to the face, not a leather hog at all while holding a lot of it. I really enjoy the scxrub provided by the boar bristles that have not fully broke in yet. I am sure it will only get better. I really enjoy a good mixed badger/boar brush and my favorite up to now has been a Semogue made brush for the Portuguese forum Barbear Classico a few years ago. Also the Semogue Owners' Club SE 2012 is an amazing mixed brush (based on Caravela that I have not had the pleasure of trying).

Right now this Maggard's mixed knot is feeling even better than the Semogue mixed ones. Those are high marks in my book.

28 1,796
 03-06-2018, 04:34 PM
User Info
I tried mine!

I agree it's dense. I ended up resetting it much higher loft than I initially did. Good thing I used silicone instead of epoxy.

I think it's way too soon for me to decide if I like it. Kind of scratchy yet. I can see it breaking in and becoming really scrubby without the poking eventually. Holds a good amount of water and the badger fills between the boar bristles giving it a really unique kind of density. Feels denser than it looks.

Mine threw a few loose bristles and hairs during several initial test latherings and funk removals. When the funk was no longer there the loose hairs completely stopped too. I hope it continues to not shed. I wasn't sure after the first couple cycles. 

It's a nice all around kind of knot. I don't have the determination to use it exclusively right now. I bet in a few dozen uses it gets really nice. 

One thing I did notice aside from the usual things, it seems to dry out faster than some other kinds of brushes after use. Weird.

11 1,626
 03-06-2018, 06:39 PM
User Info
Great to know. I've got a couple of restores that need knots and I've been eyeing these

6 408
 03-08-2018, 01:35 PM
User Info
Thanks for the reviews on this guys. Would anyone be able to post a couple pics?

8 158
 03-08-2018, 01:49 PM
User Info
Yes, pictures please.

57 9,000
 03-13-2018, 08:56 AM
  • vsp
User Info
I'm finding myself drawn to the 24mm version of this knot :-)

Any more feedback from members who own it?

Any suggestions for what handle (reasonable in price, not necessarily hand-crafted) to put it in? I'm aware of Larry at Whipped Dog.

0 11
 03-13-2018, 02:12 PM
User Info
Here's mine. 
It's in a whipped dog handle. I enlarged the socket from 24 to 26 and drilled it deeper than Larry ships it. It's really a nice handle. 

[Image: el5KqNt.jpg]
[Image: AM7FVL8.jpg]
[Image: 0ljm1CZ.jpg]
[Image: u2Dv19P.jpg]
[Image: 2EfKWoo.jpg]

11 1,626
 03-15-2018, 01:27 AM
User Info
Those photos look great.
Also, Larry should source them from you... his product photos always have a kind of a basic quality to them...

How is the knot? I am about to pull the trigger on a 26mm

8 950
 03-15-2018, 06:17 AM
User Info
Hahaha. 
Thanks. 

The knots are very good. Probably need many uses to break in and soften up. They're not for everyone I think. Stiff and scrubby. Very full. 

I once said mixed badger and bristle brushes were the worst or both. I was wrong with that. When done right, they're actually the best of both. Lots of water retention and density and enough fortitude to perform in many ways. I suspect in time when the boar bristles settle down and begin splitting, that this knot will be both scrubby feeling and very soft.

Mine is a little bit rough. I have only used it for a couple of shaves so far.

11 1,626