01-16-2018, 01:43 PM
User Info
I have mentioned my concept Zen of Shaving - that perfect moment caught between lather and blade - several times in my blog and even more often here on the 'Nook, and it don't become any less true or less important as time moves on.

In my line of work, some times of the year* is busier than the rest... and winter is one of them. Lots on my mind, lots on my calendar, and even more meetings to plan things than the other busy times of the year.

And it's when life if full of happenings, and ones brain is simply too full of priority zero items to even get started on those things that should be ones first priority, that a few minutes of Zen in the morning really helps bring a sense of balance and harmony to ones life. By forgoing the modern "convenience" of canned goo and the cartridge razor with n+1 blades (where n equals at least three blades more than you need to shave) I am "wasting" a few minutes every day... but by using lather, brush and an old fashioned safety razor I do find my center and becomes ready to face yet another day of being one man deep and having to take part in the Red Queens Race**.

In short, a few "wasted" minutes of the Zen of Shaving makes busy days less stressful. So if you're ever wondering if you have time to shave with lather, brush and safety razor, the answer is always a resounding YES!

*) Short version? August to June is the busiest time of the year. July is when we get everything done that got postponed from being busy, so July is busy too.
**) "...it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

3 4,916
 01-16-2018, 06:07 PM
User Info
 01-16-2018, 06:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
 01-16-2018, 06:28 PM
User Info
Well stated Hans.

51 6,836
 01-16-2018, 07:00 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
This is why you don,t want these fantastic super duper BBS razors that cut so close you don,t have to shave for 3 days....much more fun with regular mild razors that let you Zenificate everyday......think about most of us have " a few dollars invested in our shaving hobby" ...(at least that is what we tell SYMBO).....so don,t buy any super duper ultimate BBS razors and just have fun...!!!!!!!!...(too late for me..but for the new guys)

6 2,066
 01-16-2018, 07:20 PM
User Info
Agreed Smile

0 40
 01-16-2018, 07:25 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Oh, absolutely!

7 2,536
 01-18-2018, 09:09 PM
User Info
I've definitely felt this way since I started enjoying my shaves, and have almost thought that maybe I should start moving my shaves to the middle of my work day, to have a respite in the middle of the madness.

7 116
 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
Agreed. Setting aside the time in the morning makes for a clear mind and a better start to the day.

13 181
 02-09-2018, 10:35 AM
User Info
I've only been DE shaving for a week, but have already had fleeting glimpses of that fine balance between being fully engaged in an activity and lost in my thoughts at the same time.  It's amazing, even though I'm currently processing so much info leading up to the actual shave (blade age, cream/soap, brush, lathering technique), it still all quickly fades once I start actually shaving. 

I also ride a mountain bike, and there are similarities.  I need to read the terrain (rocks, roots, stream crossings), yet I'm completely relaxed (mentally, at least) at the same time.

Hard to explain.

0 5
 02-09-2018, 12:39 PM
User Info
(02-09-2018, 10:35 AM)Sinker Wrote: Hard to explain.

But easy to enjoy Biggrin

3 4,916