01-17-2018, 03:33 PM
User Info
What razor were you anxious to get, vintage or new, that when you shaved with it you were let down.  Or maybe it just didn't live up to the hype.

For me the most over-rated is the Gillette Fat Boy (i'll probably be selling on here), Gillette Red Tip, Edwin Jagger DE89 and Gem MMOC ( a great razor but not the aggressive beast it was made out to be).

The razors that lived up to the hypre are Gem 1912's and the  Gillette Black Beauty.

0 27
 01-17-2018, 07:11 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
For me, it was a Timeless. It was too heavy and just didn't shave as great as I was expecting.

62 1,735
 01-17-2018, 09:38 PM
User Info
I love aggressive razors.  None of the ones that I have tried have underwhelmed me.  That is, they have all performed really well.  They include Merkur future, muhle r41, charcoal goods lvl 3, timeless 0.95.  I don't regret buying any of them.  I also love the gillette red-tip.  The red tip has been great for what I paid for both of mine.

0 346
 01-17-2018, 10:20 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(01-17-2018, 07:11 PM)MaxP Wrote: For me, it was a Timeless.

Bingo. Very pretty razor, but I disliked the angle required and the lack of blade feel.

61 861
 01-18-2018, 05:53 AM
User Info
For me the only razors that have lived up to the hype is my newly purchased Rockwell 6s and Merkur 34c.
Most of my remain razors have not really improved my shaving with the notable disappointments being the Merkur Progress, Merkur Futur, and Rockwell German Slant.

0 17
 01-20-2018, 12:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
For me, there are two razors that didn’t live up to the hype. One is the Muhle style 89 head. I could never get a good shave with it. The other razor I feel that way about are most Gem SEs.

9 2,954
 01-21-2018, 05:46 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I'm not going to get into what I found to be overhyped but I've found all my vintage Gillettes to live up to the hype and more.

8 2,512
 01-21-2018, 08:52 AM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
for me the ones that didn't live up to the hype are the OneBlade and the Occam's.  Neither give me what I would consider a good shave let alone a great shave.  The Occam's is a particular let down due to all of the delays in shipping supposedly to get the razor perfected.  If what they shipped is perfected then I would hate to see what the rejects delivered.

For me the razors that live up to expectations are the Tradere, Blackland Blackbird and Sabre,  Wolfman, and Timeless Bronze and my 0.68 Scalloped head Stainless.  All smooth efficient with consistent results.

notables close behind are the ATT SE (SB and OC) and Mongoose.

a vintage that i have been trying to learn is the Rolls Razor.

3 543
 01-21-2018, 09:43 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Without a doubt, despite crazy money spent, astronomical expectations and incredible cognitive dissonance the BBS1 is unbelievable. Love it more with every usage and wish didn’t so could recover the money. In fact want another. Truly the greatest ever tried to date

3 232
 01-21-2018, 12:14 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(01-21-2018, 09:43 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Without a doubt, despite crazy money spent, astronomical expectations and incredible cognitive dissonance the BBS1 is unbelievable. Love it more with every usage and wish didn’t so could recover the money. In fact want another.  Truly the greatest ever tried to date

I had the opposite experience with the BBS-1.  I traded for mine (a very decent deal) and was totally underwhelmed by the resulting shave.  There's no doubt of the quality of the machining, but the shave left a lot to be desired.  I kept the BBS-1 for about a week in daily use and traded it away.  I'm glad that I didn't spend an irresponsible amount of money on it.  I'm also glad that it found a forever-home somewhere else.
Another razor that was a colossal let down for me was the OneBlade (v1).  Mine's going up for raffle soon once I can get some photos taken.

48 2,048
 01-22-2018, 09:53 PM
User Info
I was very excited when I came across a Gillette Slim in a local antique shop. I never ended up being super impressed with it, and sold it to buy a Gillette New OC - which I much prefer!

6 972
 01-29-2018, 05:53 PM
  • JABF99
  • Illinois
User Info
A razor that lived up to the hype is one I just shaved with tonight for the 1st time - the Feather Artist Club SS straight razor.  I have been using double edge razors until tonight.  I really didn't know what to expect with this wicked sharp straight razor.  LOL, I was more than half scared when I started using it.  I used the Feather Pro blade with it.  I had read a lot of positive reviews for this razor.  I have to admit it lived up to the hype.  What amazed me was how close it shaved.  I've never had a shave this close with my double edge razor.  

This is a shavette style razor (it uses disposable Feather blades).  Is a conventional straight razor pretty similar to something like the Feather SS, or significantly different?  If I master shaving with this razor, will it make the move to a traditional straight razor a bit easier?  Or are they two different animals?

0 29
 02-01-2018, 06:18 AM
User Info
overrated- muhle r89 not efficient and not that smooth
lived up to the hype- Rockwell 6c. masterpiece!

0 20
 02-01-2018, 03:12 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Feather AS-D1. It was with much anticipation that I acquired one a few years back. Couldn't get a shave out of it. I found it next to useless. Fortunately, others were hyperventilating about the purportedly miraculous shaves they provided, so I was easily able to sell it.

0 1,974
 02-04-2018, 06:17 PM
User Info
(01-17-2018, 09:38 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: I love aggressive razors.  None of the ones that I have tried have underwhelmed me.  That is, they have all performed really well.  They include Merkur future, muhle r41, charcoal goods lvl 3, timeless 0.95.  I don't regret buying any of them.  I also love the gillette red-tip.  The red tip has been great for what I paid for both of mine.
The Red Tip is probably my least favorite of all of my DE's. It was hyped as this great aggressive beast and I found it to be mild and underwhelming. I know it's of of those YMMV but it was such a "meh" experience for me.

0 27
 02-05-2018, 05:26 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I won't say overhyped, I will just say disappointed in.  The Gillette Red and Blue tip razors.  Neither gave me the shave I was looking for.

My all time favorite DE was my PILS.  That razor just suited me for my beard, skin, and my style of shaving.  I would venture to say if I still had it, I would still be using a DE razor.  Something about the way the small handle fit my hand, the angle of the blade, and the heft of the razor, could be controlled with my hand tremors.  If I had the money, I would buy another just to try and make sure.

180 24,881
 02-05-2018, 05:33 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(02-05-2018, 05:26 AM)Johnny Wrote: I won't say overhyped, I will just say disappointed in.  The Gillette Red and Blue tip razors.  Neither gave me the shave I was looking for.

My all time favorite DE was my PILS.  That razor just suited me for my beard, skin, and my style of shaving.  I would venture to say if I still had it, I would still be using a DE razor.  Something about the way the small handle fit my hand, the angle of the blade, and the heft of the razor, could be controlled with my hand tremors.  If I had the money, I would buy another just to try and make sure.

English or US red tips, chaps? The English ones have more heft and are a little more bitey Smile

0 1,974
 02-05-2018, 05:37 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-05-2018, 05:33 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 05:26 AM)Johnny Wrote: I won't say overhyped, I will just say disappointed in.  The Gillette Red and Blue tip razors.  Neither gave me the shave I was looking for.

English or US red tips, chaps? The English ones have more heft and are a little more bitey Smile

US red tip and US blue tip.

180 24,881
 02-05-2018, 10:18 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
(01-17-2018, 03:33 PM)HouseofChains Wrote: What razor were you anxious to get, vintage or new, that when you shaved with it you were let down.  Or maybe it just didn't live up to the hype.

EJ Chatsworth Barley. It was a beautiful razor, but too long and too heavy for my liking. I hated having to sell that one.

The one that lived up to the hype was a Merkur 34G. It took a couple of years, but it eventually replaced my favorite SuperSpeeds. It's the only DE I've used in 4-5 years.

1 225
 02-05-2018, 11:40 AM
User Info
The Red Tip SuperSpeed was a disappointment to me too.  Not because it was a bad razor (it's fine), but because of the hype about its aggressiveness.  Frankly, I can't tell the difference between it and the Silver Flare Tip.  That Silver Flare Tip is my regular travel razor, and it makes me smile using it.  The Red Tip isn't worse; it's just not as good a value, so it doesn't make me smile.  I hope that makes sense.

Another real disappointment was the Above the Tie Gem Razor V1.  I love ATT razors and own a half dozen in various configurations.  I also love the Gem blade.  In the right razor, it's as good as a razor blade can be.  But the ATT Gem razor didn't work for me.  The first iteration was a disaster.  It was shipped in a plastic bag without instructions, assembled oddly, and it wouldn't cut whiskers.  Stan recognized the design problem and offered no-questions-asked refunds or exchanges for a V2 with revised head.  I took the refund and never tried the V2.  Maybe I should, because I really like the Gem blade.   But they're kind of spendy, and I haven't heard that the V2 is all that great.

Two other disappointments were both inexpensive razors from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements:  The PAA Bakelite Slant and the PAA Starling.  I found the former to just be too light, and it skipped over my beard.  That was sad, because in Oxblood Red, it was a cool looking razor.  The PAA Starling was just a bad design.  I was among those users who found it to be dangerous in leaving the corners of the Gem blade exposed.  I cut myself pretty badly the first time I used it.  PAA took it back, paid for return shipping, and pulled the razor from the marketplace.  I know some people like them, so YMMV.

A razor that lived up to the hype for me was the Fatip Grande, which has the same head as the Piccolo, just a different handle.  All brass.  Shaves beautifully.  Great price.

Another of my favorites that was hyped 100 years ago (maybe less so now) is the Gillette Old Type with the thin cap.  With a modern blade, it's an incredible razor.  And you can get a very serviceable one for about $20.  Those sold for $5 until 1921, then for $1 during the 1920's.  That would be about $60 and $12 in today's money.  So it continues to be a great bargain.

Also in my list of bargain vintage razors are the Gem Micromatic Open Comb and Gem Model 1914.  It just makes me laugh to know razors that work so well can be had for under $20.  The 1914 has been described as "a Cadillac with a Corvette engine" and the MMOC as "just a Corvette" and I think those are accurate.  The Little Lather Catcher 1914 has a springy feel to it because of the shape of the head.  But both razors use modern Gem PTFE-coated blades and so configured give incredibly close shaves every time.

Another bargain that falls in the category of "underappreciated" razors is the Fendrihan Scientist Double Comb.  It came with different handles, and each handle meant a name change (so the Ambassador has the same head as the Scientist, for example).  All stainless steel and a great shave for $40.  Again, value.

Last is a razor I hated when it first came out and now think of as a value:  The OneBlade Genesis V1.  It came out at $400 and was purposely overpriced to create marketing buzz.  It was marketed to the "if you have to ask the price, we don't want you" crowd.  The originator was a former stock tout who had been found guilty of stock fraud.  And with the recommended Feather FHS-10 blades, it offered a mediocre shave.  Because OneBlade was also selling the blades, it initially recommended using a fresh blade every shave.  Ridiculous.  Fast forward, and you can get a used Genesis V1 kit (including the stand and cool leather box) for under $300 if you are patient and look around.  It's still a lot, but if you ditch the Feather blades and despine a Gem blade, it's a brilliant razor.

16 282