01-18-2018, 10:29 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
PLEASE NOTE:  This thread is not about rare collectables.  So, if you saw the topic and had fingers poised over the keyboard to post about your cutthroat razor that has a blade made of pure Unobtanium and is fitted with a handle carved from a Unicorn horn, I strongly encourage you to start a distinct thread.  I want to read about that razor (pics please!), but this thread is about utilitarian gear (not necessarily a razor) that you use “every day,” because it works, but would be hard-pressed to replace if it broke or was stolen.

Here are the rules.  The item must be:  

1. A “daily driver” item that you would use frequently simply because it gives you a good shave, not because you want to show it off;
  2. Originally reasonably priced, not valuable simply because it is made from exotic ingredients (platinum, pure agar (oud), etc.;
  3. Not custom-made unless the artisan produced a reasonable quantity of very similar items for a reasonable period of time; and
  4. For whatever reason, is inordinately difficult to purchase in 2018.
To kick off the list, the item in my kit that is least replaceable is

iKon Deluxe Open Comb with DLC coating (B1 coating is similar)

I have yet to encounter anyone, among the elite cohort of those who have used both the iKon Deluxe Open Comb and some other open comb DE razor, who preferred the other razor to the iKon Deluxe Open Comb.  Disclaimer:  I have not yet encountered a person who has used both the iKon and a 2011 Mühle R41, the latter being a singular model that seems to engender loyalty that borders upon insanity among its adherents, and that I think might appear in this thread if the thread generates any interest.  That said, neither the iKon nor the Mühle has been available for sale new for several years, and the occasional NOS or used units that show up on auctions disappear rapidly at king’s ransom prices.

What’s yours?  Do you have a stash of vintage Yardley soap that you keep raiding, but inevitably will run out?  Several hundred Personna 74 blades?  Tell us about it, and why you would be devastated if you lost, broke, or ran out of your item.

1 1,128
 01-18-2018, 11:03 AM
User Info
I could say my face - no face, no shave - but my face is arguable custom made Tongue

My least replaceable razors would be some of my vintage items; in particular my NOS Schick "Lady Eversharp" Injector would be hard to replace these days. The Artisania Romera Manchurian Badger I was lucky enough to receive last summer would also be near impossible to replace, both due to the waiting time for a new Artisania Romera brush and the cost of it.

3 4,916
 01-18-2018, 11:42 AM
User Info
I have a couple of the OC Deluxe you mentioned.

Odd timing too.....when I bought mine they were added to a dozen or more SS razors that just kinda sat after the OC joined the collection. It’s largely the reason for my disappearance on this board. Cruising tsn was costing me a fortune in hardware and software that my OC deluxe was causing me to ignore. It didn’t cure my RAD, but apparently it treated the symptoms for a long time. I stepped away and got in touch with friends on social media.

Now here we are years later. MANY shave behind me, most of those during my sabbatical with the razor you mentioned. The shave world has moved on and all my gear is “old and busted” with the blossoming SE/boutique DE makers cranking out the innovations. Oddly enough, social media was now the culprit for suggesting things for me to waste a lot of money on so I logged off and started checking out the forums again.

An Asylum RX and Paradigm 17-4 later, i realize the problem is just my self control. That and i do love well crafted doodads of any flavor that make life more enjoyable. I have to shave daily, I might as well get the most out of it.

But back to the question, i had no idea the OC Deluxe was becoming more rare so in that case, I’m gonna go put mine in a special spot for safe keeping. It treated me well for quite a few years and i don’t see me ever being without it as an option.

Collection post below. I’ve added maybe 3 or 4 since then, but most of them would probably get a sideways glance because of their machining tolerances or lack of high polish.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=22824

0 272
 01-18-2018, 01:17 PM
User Info
My aftershave,
70% Dickinson’s witch hazel
30% Corn Huskers lotion

12 218
 01-18-2018, 03:00 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I would have to say my Floid Blue inventory.

[Image: PJRtHO3.jpg]

180 24,288
 01-18-2018, 04:47 PM
User Info
My Original Paradigm Ti razor . I say original because there is a new Paradigm Ti in the works that will not be the same head geometry .

22 344
 01-18-2018, 04:53 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Mike’s Natural Soap - Shampoo bar.

Nothing works better for my hair & scalp.

Reasonably priced and still in production, though tough to acquire because it’s infrequently made and sells out instantly.

No other shampoo or shampoo bar has come close.

170 1,448
 01-19-2018, 04:11 AM
User Info
[Image: c3bfed15f0b37578f4fd4222608a952a.jpg]

I own and like the Ikon dlc head, which matches quite good with a Jürgen Hempel titanium handle, but would not rate it so highly.

What I would really miss is the discontinued I Coloniali mango soap.
Fortunately I have a small reserve and hope to find a few more next time in Italy.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 95
 01-19-2018, 05:44 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(01-18-2018, 10:29 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: PLEASE NOTE:  This thread is not about rare collectables.  So, if you saw the topic and had fingers poised over the keyboard to post about your cutthroat razor that has a blade made of pure Unobtanium and is fitted with a handle carved from a Unicorn horn, I strongly encourage you to start a distinct thread.  I want to read about that razor (pics please!), but this thread is about utilitarian gear (not necessarily a razor) that you use “every day,” because it works, but would be hard-pressed to replace if it broke or was stolen.

Here are the rules.  The item must be:  

1. A “daily driver” item that you would use frequently simply because it gives you a good shave, not because you want to show it off;
  2. Originally reasonably priced, not valuable simply because it is made from exotic ingredients (platinum, pure agar (oud), etc.;
  3. Not custom-made unless the artisan produced a reasonable quantity of very similar items for a reasonable period of time; and
  4. For whatever reason, is inordinately difficult to purchase in 2018.
To kick off the list, the item in my kit that is least replaceable is

iKon Deluxe Open Comb with DLC coating (B1 coating is similar)

I have yet to encounter anyone, among the elite cohort of those who have used both the iKon Deluxe Open Comb and some other open comb DE razor, who preferred the other razor to the iKon Deluxe Open Comb.  Disclaimer:  I have not yet encountered a person who has used both the iKon and a 2011 Mühle R41, the latter being a singular model that seems to engender loyalty that borders upon insanity among its adherents, and that I think might appear in this thread if the thread generates any interest.  That said, neither the iKon nor the Mühle has been available for sale new for several years, and the occasional NOS or used units that show up on auctions disappear rapidly at king’s ransom prices.

What’s yours?  Do you have a stash of vintage Yardley soap that you keep raiding, but inevitably will run out?  Several hundred Personna 74 blades?  Tell us about it, and why you would be devastated if you lost, broke, or ran out of your item.
Well Mel, you named two of them for me already. The Yardley and Personna 74s  and I'd add the much rarer Wilkinson Sword Light Brigades to the list. I wouldn't be exactly devasted without them as I have other things in both categories that could step into the void quite well but my best shaves would a little less best.

7 2,396
 01-19-2018, 06:36 AM
User Info
I’ve managed to get bbs shaves with just about any de razor using many different brands of blades. Also I have been fortunate to do that while having lather from many different soaps and creams put on my face by a variety of brushes.
Thinking a little harder, I would pick the Stirling Kong synthetic brush as the one thing that I immediately would buy again if it broke.

0 246
 02-01-2018, 03:18 PM
User Info
The Aesop bowl, it is literally part of every shave and an indispensable unbreakable asset.
[Image: esV5Kls.jpg]

2 72
 02-01-2018, 04:45 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I have 5 pucks left of AoS unscented tallow soap that fit the criteria.

7 2,536
 02-01-2018, 06:46 PM
User Info
(01-18-2018, 03:00 PM)Johnny Wrote: I would have to say my Floid Blue inventory.

[Image: PJRtHO3.jpg]
I wondered if that wasn't the case.  Mine? An almost gone bottle of Jovan Grass Oil.  Not going to find a replacement for that.

4 210
 02-01-2018, 10:12 PM
User Info
[Image: 5f4d43737bc9c8b661df08a5a6c8789d.jpg]

Been using this for last 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 911
 02-02-2018, 01:24 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(02-01-2018, 04:45 PM)chazt Wrote: I have 5 pucks left of AoS unscented tallow soap that fit the criteria.
I agree in principle, but there is an unscented Valobra available for purchase. Do you find them different?

64 3,141
 02-02-2018, 01:45 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(02-02-2018, 01:24 PM)Nero Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 04:45 PM)chazt Wrote: I have 5 pucks left of AoS unscented tallow soap that fit the criteria.
I agree in principle, but there is an unscented Valobra available for purchase. Do you find them different?

I have no empirical evidence but anecdotally it seems the AoS has a more moisturizing post shave feel than does the Valobra. Caveat, the “better” post shave of the AoS is only true of the unscented. I have one puck of the AoS sandalwood which feels somewhat drying in comparison to the AoS and Valobra unscented.

7 2,536
 Yesterday, 10:06 AM
User Info
I've tried a few(9) D.E. razors,plus all the cartridge creations in the past 50 years, nothing better than my Rockwell S-6.

0 25
 Yesterday, 08:27 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
For me, my irreplaceable items are the 2013 Simpons Chubby 2 in 2-band.  Hands down the most important part of the prep process *short of the actual soap*

The other item is Penhaligon's Blenheim Boutique in tallow formula.

I would be a very happy human if that was the setup I stayed with the entire duration of my life.

10 762
 Today, 01:22 AM
User Info
Id have to say my Feather Artist Club razor.  If Feather stopped making them and mine broke or got lost, Im not sure what razor Id use.  The Feather AC has killed my RAD and I had a long line of razors that I tried before the Feather.
If the Feather went away, Id probaly have to switch the a shavette that uses halved DE blades.

0 45
 Today, 04:29 AM
User Info
Egyptian cotton towels.

0 220