01-18-2018, 01:15 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Awaiting the slings and arrows....

But have to state had one of the best shaves ever using a One Blade V1 and Gems despined and punched.  Please indulge lucubration:

The blade feels poorly crafted to the touch when compared to the Feather but one needs recall it was never intended to be despined so that may partially account for the impression.  Also, the Gem doesn't provide the resounding snap into place accompanying the Feather design blade, rather requiring a solid pull on the distal end to assure it is well and truly locked in.

Shaving with the combination is, if it is humanly possible, even more remote regarding feedback and completely totally unsatisfying than with the Feather - which hitherto thought was the standard of wet shaving dissatisfaction.  Literally, if one is a hobbyist thoroughly enjoying wet shaving, the experience will be even worse than a multiblade cartridge razor.  Frankly, have never experienced such an unfulfilling, unsatisfying and boring shave EVER.  The combination of the OB Genesis V1 and Gem will have the shaver checking if a blade has even been loaded - more than once - in fact after EVERY stroke, sometimes mid stroke and questioning in between too.  The first reaction is to swear no hair reduction is occurring and curse the combination as a complete and utter waste of time.  However, for the sake of comparison, and secretly plotting to draft a terrible review so devastating that never again would a reasonable person suggest this blade, continued selfsatisfied that there was gold (in the form of vengeance) at the end of this rainbow.  To be fair did 4 passes, two north to south ala OneBlade instructions, one lateral to medial and a final pass south to north ala OneBlade instructions.  Evil thoughts raced as lathered face to allow recovery whilst cleaning equipment.

The Gem blade felt no more satisfying during removal and only added to the scathing comments being formulated during cleaning.  Followed the normal litany of postshave cleansing, toning and moisturizing which is required and de rigueur due to terribly sensitive skin and was taken aback by the results.

Not only had there been virtually ZERO irritation from the shave (literally unprecedented in a lifetime of shaving spanning straight wet shaving to cartridges to electric and back to wet shaving) BUT the BBS was nearly as good as a straight, certainly at least 95%.  

Surely, ONE shave does NOT equate to a scientific assessment of this combination BUT as nothing else had changed in this routine, save the GEM, one has to conclude it is quite possible this may be an optimal solution to those with extraordinarily sensitive skin seeking daily BBS and willing to undertake 4 passes.

The jury is out and will provide further feedback; however, wanted to report as promised when soliciting the blades for this experiment from Lenaud01.

1 173
 01-22-2018, 05:22 PM
User Info
This has been my experience as well. The Genesis shines with a Gem blade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 18
 02-11-2018, 08:33 PM
User Info
Glad to hear you are getting great shaves from the OB and the Gem. It’s one reason that I’m looking into acquiring more OB V1 for the sake of having spares.

16 1,076
 02-11-2018, 10:31 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Totally agree.  Gems are far superior to the Feathers IMHO when used in the Oneblade and turned the shave from mediocre to nice.
The company missed a great opportunity when they chose to design the razor around the Feather FHS blade instead of the Gem.

48 2,027
 02-12-2018, 02:38 AM
User Info
I completely agree about the Gem/Genesis V1 combo.  It made me a believer in the OB, whereas with the FHS-10 blade I found it kind of "meh".

Question:  Why do you punch as well as despine the Gem blade if using a Genesis V1?  My experience (and broader understanding from others) is that you don't need to punch the blade to fit it in the OB V1, that punching is only necessary with the V2.  Once despined, the Gem blade fits right into my Genesis V1.

11 221
 02-12-2018, 04:48 AM
User Info
A de-spined Gem blade will fit in my Genesis V1 bit not click to place. For it to click into the position it has to be modified.

0 443
 02-12-2018, 05:56 AM
User Info
(02-12-2018, 04:48 AM)kyproset Wrote: A de-spined Gem blade will fit in my Genesis V1 bit not click to place. For it to click into the position it has to be modified.

But the OP said he punched the Gem blade and it doesn't click into position.

If that's true, what's the point of punching a Gem blade before fitting it in a V1?

I despined a Gem blade, didn't punch it, at it worked great in my V1 for a week of shaves.

11 221
 02-12-2018, 10:30 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(02-12-2018, 04:48 AM)kyproset Wrote: A de-spined Gem blade will fit in my Genesis V1 bit not click to place. For it to click into the position it has to be modified.

That may be true, but in my experience with my OB v1 a despined Gem is held securely without having the edges 'punched' by friction within the razor head.  I found punching the blades to be superfluous and a waste of time.

48 2,027
 02-22-2018, 06:10 AM
  • jar
User Info
A despined and notched GEM turns my V2 OneBlade from a nice razor into a GREAT razor.

0 253
 02-22-2018, 06:54 AM
User Info
(02-22-2018, 06:10 AM)jar Wrote: A despined and notched GEM turns my V2 OneBlade from a nice razor into a GREAT razor.

For me as well. With a the added bonus of approximately triple the lifespan of a feather

0 18
 03-01-2018, 12:10 AM
User Info
I really need to learn how to punch the GEM blade for my V2. It’s great in the V1 with just the spine off, but I’d love to know how it shaves in the V2.

16 1,076
 03-01-2018, 08:46 AM
User Info
OK, I'm ready to chime in and agree that the One Blade V1 is much better with the Gem blades.  Just had my fifth shave and can say that I am definitely getting closer and smoother shaves with the despined Gem blade.  I like that they last longer, too.  Looks like I'll be doing a bulk order of blades soon!

0 195
 03-01-2018, 12:05 PM
User Info
Um ...how does one despine a gem blade? Pliers?

2 84
 03-01-2018, 05:00 PM
User Info
Yes, that’s what I used but nippers are even better. Now that I will likely be using these blades, I’m going to go get some. Search Gem blades on the site here and there is a thread that has video instructions on both de-spining and clipping if you want it to lock in place.

0 195
 03-03-2018, 05:45 PM
User Info
I’d be curious to know a gem base work in a V2. Can anyone chime in? Have both versions so that’s why I’m curius.

16 1,076
 03-06-2018, 06:33 AM
  • jar
User Info
(03-03-2018, 05:45 PM)tsimmns Wrote: I’d be curious to know a gem base work in a V2.  Can anyone chime in?  Have both versions so that’s why I’m curius.

To use GEM blades I despine it and enlarge the upper notches to get the blade to seat securely.

0 253
 03-06-2018, 08:58 AM
User Info
Jar, that’s what I figured. I’m curious if anyone has used both the V1 and V2 with a GEM blade and see which one shaves better. I know DANLAW has both versions, maybe he could share some insight. I also have both versions but have not used a GEM in the V2 as I have yet to purchase a punch like I see that’s recommended to use.

16 1,076