08-31-2012, 12:58 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Link for everyone here

I had been looking for a new handle for my Stahley head, and this solidified the deal. Awesome looking handle with a good length and weight!

35 1,732
 08-31-2012, 01:01 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Wow that looks pretty close to the Bamboo handle from iKon

116 3,804
 08-31-2012, 01:03 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(08-31-2012, 01:01 PM)Dave Wrote: Wow that looks pretty close to the Bamboo handle from iKon

Yes, it definitely does, as do both of the Bulldogs look similar. Will there be an uproar? Who knows, but for the price and a design I like a lot more, I jumped on it.

35 1,732
 08-31-2012, 02:02 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(08-31-2012, 01:01 PM)Dave Wrote: Wow that looks pretty close to the Bamboo handle from iKon

Dave, you took the words out of my mouth and only $38 bananas. Shaving is not cheap anymore. Back to cartridges NOT

100 12,436
 08-31-2012, 02:04 PM
User Info
This "Wave" is actually lighter than the Bulldog ( 2.2 vs 2.4 oz ) and is the same length.

The Bulldog handle is excellent - I'm hesitant to pull the trigger, though I do have a 'spare' DLC head with the original 'unimproved' classic handle I could upgrade ...

Better to wait until they're sold out, then complain about the missed opportunity.

12 96
 08-31-2012, 02:19 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(08-31-2012, 02:04 PM)norton Wrote: This "Wave" is actually lighter than the Bulldog ( 2.2 vs 2.4 oz ) and is the same length.

The Bulldog handle is excellent - I'm hesitant to pull the trigger, though I do have a 'spare' DLC head with the original 'unimproved' classic handle I could upgrade ...

Better to wait until they're sold out, then complain about the missed opportunity.

Order several and when they sell out you can sell the extra handles and make yourself look goodBiggrin

100 12,436
 08-31-2012, 04:16 PM
User Info
Interesting!

75 20,883
 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM
User Info
Looks like IKON is getting a bit of their own medicine. Wouldn't have thought that ugly handle was worth copying though.

30 275
 08-31-2012, 06:41 PM
User Info
(08-31-2012, 01:03 PM)Tonality Wrote:

Yes, it definitely does, as do both of the Bulldogs look similar. Will there be an uproar? Who knows, but for the price and a design I like a lot more, I jumped on it.

I had the Weber DLC with Bulldog handle and also owned an iKon Bulldog handle.They look similiar in pictures but up close and personal the machining of the iKon handle was superior and the texture of the iKon knurling more refined which IMO felt better in hand

As for the Weber Wave's shape, I really like the look and having shaved with an iKon Bamboo I have nothing but good things to say about it's function.

Hope your new handle's a success for you

7 414
 08-31-2012, 06:44 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-31-2012, 04:51 PM)Aaron622 Wrote: Looks like IKON is getting a bit of their own medicine. Wouldn't have thought that ugly handle was worth copying though.

I don't think it's ugly, although even if it was, demand has nothing to do with beauty. They are selling out like hot cakes as I type this Wink

88 4,233
 08-31-2012, 09:04 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Well, I for one prefer the iKon stuff and here's why. Comparing the iKon bulldog to the Weber bulldog was like comparing a fine medical instrument to a $7 Harbor Freight socket wrench. I doubt the copy of the Bamboo handle is no different and likely has the telltale Weber tool knurling that I find too sharp, edgy, and unrefined.

The first thin handled Weber I bought had a bizarre, very sharp "cup" on the threaded end of the handle that would chew and damage any head you put on it. I then bought a DLC that got returned because the threads were chowdered from the factory. Then, I bought a new ARC head from the recent second sold-out batch that had swirls and wormtracks all in the coating. Needless to say, iKon products and Weber is completely apples and oranges.

135 1,941
 08-31-2012, 09:20 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-31-2012, 04:51 PM)Aaron622 Wrote: ...Wouldn't have thought that ugly handle was worth copying though.

(08-31-2012, 06:41 PM)razorx Wrote: I had the Weber DLC with Bulldog handle and also owned an iKon Bulldog handle.They look similiar in pictures but up close and personal the machining of the iKon handle was superior and the texture of the iKon knurling more refined which IMO felt better in hand

As for the Weber Wave's shape, I really like the look and having shaved with an iKon Bamboo I have nothing but good things to say about it's function.

I have both the iKon and Weber Bulldog handles and they are virtually indistinguishable in size, shape, weight, and workmanship to me. I didn't look at them under a microscope, but they seemed the same just handling them.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder...I think the "Wave"/Bamboo handle looks nice, and I ordered one. Tongue

52 785
 08-31-2012, 10:36 PM
User Info
Interesting.

I found ikon's finish to be better than webers. The ikon is perfect the weber is more 8/10. But this is really looking, over a picture or a glimpse, you would never know.

7 1,179
 09-01-2012, 04:19 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The competition between the stainless steel razor makers so only good for us. Might keep the price down for a while.

100 12,436
 09-01-2012, 06:59 AM
User Info
Competition is good for businesses as well. I wish this would drive the quality up even if they keep prices flat. As of today the only stainless DE I have is still my trusted Feather AS-D1.
Having handled both razors posted in this thread, I would not give them anywhere close to 8/10. Feather could get an 8/10.
Having similar products makes it easier for us to compare them side by side.
I am sure Weber can solve their QC, get rid of the parting line (and flash) and fit that handle on the head threads and I will consider them again. Excellent Customer Service from Weber and will buy with confidence next generation of their razors.

7 358
 09-01-2012, 07:00 AM
User Info
(08-31-2012, 02:04 PM)norton Wrote: This "Wave" is actually lighter than the Bulldog ( 2.2 vs 2.4 oz ) and is the same length.

I agree that the Bulldog is excellent. I don't see how the Wave makes the grip better, just different. I love the weight and feel of the bulldog handle. I love all the Weber products, the best stainless DEs for the better prices. Whoever gets the Wave first, please let us know how it works for you.

(09-01-2012, 06:59 AM)VerbaVolant Wrote: Competition is good for businesses as well. I wish this would drive the quality up even if they keep prices flat. As of today the only stainless DE I have is still my trusted Feather AS-D1.
Having handled both razors posted in this thread, I would not give them anywhere close to 8/10. Feather could get an 8/10.
Having similar products makes it easier for us to compare them side by side.
I am sure Weber can solve their QC, get rid of the parting line (and flash) and fit that handle on the head threads and I will consider them again. Excellent Customer Service from Weber and will buy with confidence next generation of their razors.
Do you have photos of what you mean by "parting line (and flash)? I have both the DLC and ARC and classic handle and bulldog handle and only smooth edges, if that's what you're getting at and the threading and fit of handle to head is perfect.
I haven't tried the Feather or Ikon, but have tried the Tradere open comb and much preferred the Weber. The Tradere looked shiny and beautiful, but didn't shave comfortably. The Weber does. Plus it costs a lot less than the Feather or Ikon.

21 1,471
 09-01-2012, 08:36 AM
User Info
(09-01-2012, 07:00 AM)lindyhop66 Wrote: Do you have photos of what you mean by "parting line (and flash)?

[Image: IMG4270.jpg]

(09-01-2012, 07:00 AM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I have both the DLC and ARC and classic handle and bulldog handle and only smooth edges, if that's what you're getting at and the threading and fit of handle to head is perfect.

Just wondering if this is your idea of "perfect":

I have not shaved with the Weber and returned it to the manufacturer. I must confess that my idea of perfect razor would be a merkur design head in stainless and the current price tag.

The "coating" ... Just polish them nicely, time and daily use will give them a nice patina. DLC, ARC and whatever... they don't impress me much.

7 358
 09-01-2012, 09:34 AM
User Info
(09-01-2012, 08:36 AM)VerbaVolant Wrote: Just wondering if this is your idea of "perfect":

I have not shaved with the Weber and returned it to the manufacturer. I must confess that my idea of perfect razor would be a merkur design head in stainless and the current price tag.

First of all if I want to thread something with a bit of weight to it such as stainless steel in properly I wouldn't hold it horizontally as shown in that video unless seeking to exagerrate,seems it would be more sensible to hold it vertically,align the handle and head and let gravity work it's magic as you turn the handle.

Yeah I noted some play in my Weber as it threaded together and also made the observation that a lot of my vintage Gillette 3 piece razors do the same exact thing the same exact way.I guess the difference is they didn't have youtube video back then,King Gillette's dead and there's no one else left alive from that era to go to for a refund.

The Weber handle screwed on tight and fully secure at lockdown and stayed that way until the next blade change.

7 414
 09-01-2012, 10:41 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
(09-01-2012, 09:34 AM)razorx Wrote:
(09-01-2012, 08:36 AM)VerbaVolant Wrote: Just wondering if this is your idea of "perfect":

First of all if I want to thread something with a bit of weight to it such as stainless steel in properly I wouldn't hold it horizontally as shown in that video unless seeking to exagerrate,seems it would be more sensible to hold it vertically,align the handle and head and let gravity work it's magic as you turn the handle.

Yeah I noted some play in my Weber as it threaded together and also made the observation that a lot of my vintage Gillette 3 piece razors do the same exact thing the same exact way.I guess the difference is they didn't have youtube video back then,King Gillette's dead and there's no one else left alive from that era to go to for a refund.

The Weber handle screwed on tight and fully secure at lockdown and stayed that way until the next blade change.
His video shows perfectly the quality of the machining of the latest webers. My weber arc head had to have the threads chased before I even attached it to a handle. There was so much coating on it, it felt as if it was cross threaded in.

This isn't an Ikon vs Weber thread. Yes, both the bamboo/wave handles and bulldog handles look very similar, but who cares. Buy the one that works. According to all of my experiences with both companies, i've found the Ikon products far surpass the webers in craftsmanship, detail, and quality. I also had a similar problem with an arc head. Wormtracks, and horrible threading.

Bottom line, Weber is making a wave handle, function over form (unless you like the look). However, NONE of us have this new handle as of yet to verify anything. Any and all comments to this point are pure speculation. It would be nice to know if the build quality is going to follow suit with the rest of weber's products.

9 408
 09-01-2012, 12:11 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Nice looking handle. I'm with Lindy for love of all things Weber. A Merkur head simply improved. The stainless DE world has really come alive recently and only for the better. A 3 inch barrel is perfect IMO.

42 1,041