01-21-2018, 08:47 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I had purchased a Vegan tub of Oleo soap (I very rarely buy Vegan unless the reviews are excellent) from Timeless, my opinion was it was OK, I wouldn't buy again. A short time later I watch a Youtube review of Oleo Pucker a Tallow that went on to state that this was a very good soap. So I went on to the Oleo site to purchase a tub, sold out. I contacted the owner and asked when the soap would be available. The owner Vida got back to me and offered to send me a tub to try out and asked for my address. I thanked her and received the tub a few days later.

Again I had issues with the soap with an aggressive razor, is was good but not great, I was underwhelmed with the cushion, glide, slickness and moisturizing which I relaid back to Vida (now this is just my opinion). So a few weeks ago when I saw that Oleo was coming out with a Duck Tallow version I said what the heck, be stupid buy it.

I received a tub of Rougere and over the next few days I lathered up and each day used a different razor Tartara OC, CG L3 SB and OC, this was a very good soap, on one of the shaves I used both the Beef Tallow Pucker and the new Duck Fat. The Beef was just how I remembered it, some what lacking in performance, but the Duck, this new soap is a simi hard croap like the others that I have of Oleo and was easy to lather (I have hard water). The most important aspect of shaving soaps are thier shaving qualities, the Duck Fat provides a very good cushion, glide, slickness and moisturizing, the scent is light and pleasant. So now I'm feeling pretty smart.

This is an email I sent Vida the other day

I have used in the past your Vegan and Tallow (Pucker you sent a courtesy tub to me a while back) and I had some reservations about both the Vegan and Beef Tallow. I just purchased and received Rougere (with Duck Fat) and have now used it twice along with Pucker to compare, your new Duck Fat soap is very good. I would like to know besides adding DF did you alter the formula for this soap?

Oleo's response

Besides using duck Fat I replaced the Coconut Oil with Palm Kernel Oil. Aside from that there were some other minor adjustments. I’m quite pleased to hear you’re enjoying the new formula. 

Vida

In this review I'm only discussing the new Duck Fat soap, not the Vegan or the Beef Tallow (you will have to contact Vida to inquire about which soaps have her new formula). What I've stated is subjective, there are those that will say it's as good as L and L, Tallow and Steel, etc, others will say that it's a step below. My conclusion is this soap will not disappoint in-fact many will even extol its virtues.

[Image: RyIH0Us.jpg]

52 583
 01-21-2018, 09:41 AM
User Info
So duck fat soap is all it's quacked up to be, huh?

Did you find that on the ... web?

I hope Vida didn't ... bill you too much.

Did you use a ... feather blade?

10 187
 01-21-2018, 10:31 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I think Oleo soaps are some of the best available and are easily in my top five, whether they are vegan, tallow, or her new duck fat. They all have outstanding cushion, glide, and post shave face feel, and she has some terrific scents. Vida is always responsive to any questions, and has been a joy to interact with. Highly recommended.

38 5,461
 01-21-2018, 11:17 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(01-21-2018, 09:41 AM)BrickHud Wrote: So duck fat soap is all it's quacked up to be, huh?

Price was reasonable I think. 18. Plus ship, I went to the website, I also like GD duck fat, I don,t use feather, i like Gillette Yellows or Polsilvers.

52 583
 01-21-2018, 11:54 AM
User Info
Just fooling around, my friend.  Glad you like the Duck Fat soap.  I too like Oleo and appreciate your review.

10 187
 01-21-2018, 12:31 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I've never tried anything from Oleo, but I've ordered the "Shiloh" duck-tallow soap to give it a whirl.

48 2,020
 01-21-2018, 04:11 PM
  • chazt
  • NYC
User Info
(01-21-2018, 09:41 AM)BrickHud Wrote: So duck fat soap is all it's quacked up to be, huh?

Tongue

8 2,729
 01-22-2018, 10:24 AM
User Info

These are fowl.

Must be a down week for puns....

3 1,796
 01-22-2018, 01:08 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Yesterday I had my first shave with the Unscented Oleo duck fat soap. I second everything said by bijou in the first post here and personally enjoyed using this soap tremendously. I have the other two in line and after a few shaves will report in greater detail on their shaving and post shave properties. After the first shave my skin felt similarly to what it feels like after shaving with the unscented MDC, but with a much lesser drying sensation. I actually skipped using AS completely.

115 1,666
 01-25-2018, 06:29 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Ordered Sunday.
Got shipping notice yesterday (Wednesday)
Still not in USPS system now (Thursday)

80 3,316
 01-27-2018, 05:47 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
It's finally on the way. Dropped off yesterday to USPS.

That would be just fine if they had on their site a note about it, but without any notice/indication I expect packages to be shipped by the next business day. Not five business days later.

80 3,316
 02-02-2018, 10:03 AM
User Info
(01-27-2018, 05:47 AM)Nero Wrote: It's finally on the way. Dropped off yesterday to USPS.  

That would be just fine if they had on their site a note about it, but without any notice/indication I expect packages to be shipped by the next business day.  Not five business days later.

I went through a similar scenario with this vendor a couple months ago and ended up getting a refund plus a nastygram email from the owner. I really want to try the new duck fat base, but I can't get over the poor experience, poor attitude, and excuses list that they gave me. I'd rather give my money to a vendor that doesn't treat their customers like a nuisance.

9 102
 02-02-2018, 12:12 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
User Info
Here's my timeline.  I'm not placing blame or passing on the excuses.  Just the facts.
21 Jan - Ordered
29 Jan - Shipping label printed and tracking number received
1 Feb - Package accepted at post office.
(currently departed Chicago)

48 2,020
 02-02-2018, 12:25 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(02-02-2018, 12:12 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Here's my timeline.  I'm not placing blame or passing on the excuses.  Just the facts.
21 Jan - Ordered
So... right on track

80 3,316
 02-02-2018, 12:53 PM
User Info
(02-02-2018, 12:12 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Here's my timeline.  I'm not placing blame or passing on the excuses.  Just the facts.
21 Jan - Ordered

I had a similar experience.
ordered 1/25
recd email - shipped 1/29
hadn't seen movement on USPS tracking so i emailed vendor, she replied she had dropped it of at the post office 1/31
USPS tracking shows it was actually picked up on 2/1 @12:39 pm, arrived at post office 5:28 pm

I can understand there can be mistakes, things get busy, etc but don't understand the need to misrepresent the truth.

4 46
 02-02-2018, 01:30 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
User Info
I don't really see a problem with the delays, as long as the vendor is up front and honest about them.  Don't tell me you've dropped off the package at the post office on a Monday and the tracking shows you dropped it off on the following Friday.  It's SOOOO easy to lose customer confidence just because you want to misrepresent the truth when it's easy enough to say "You know, I've been really swamped with the kids afterschool stuff and I can't get to the post office for the next few days."

48 2,020
 02-12-2018, 09:47 AM
User Info
Hey everyone Vida here from Oleo Soapworks. I feel the need to address some things mentioned here with regards to shipping. There is a note on my website about shipping (which happens on Tuesdays and Fridays because I have a day job (I'm aware that's my problem, not yours) I recently added this message to the order confirmation email. My website sends an email the moment the shipping label is printed. I drop off packages in postal blue boxes. On several occasions I've dropped of packages that do not get collected or scanned until several days later from blue boxes. I've since changed to dropping them off at the counter whenever possible to ensure they scanned in front of me. Still this isn't reflected in their system immediately and in a few extreme cases a day or two later.  This beyond my control.  As for the comment from Maha0098 No nastygram was ever sent. I am happy to post a screenshot of the email exchange if anyone wishes to see it. He placed an order on a holiday weekend and the order was filled in the order it was received.  I own my service failures wholeheartedly and am working to improve them. My sincerest apologies to anyone who has been inconvenienced by them. Moving forward if an order is not shipped by the promised date it will be free.

Thanks for trying out my products, I really appreciate the support - Vida

0 4
 02-12-2018, 10:58 AM
User Info
Hi Vida!

As a recently retired Operations Supervisor at USPS I can assure you that when you drop off pre-paid mail at the counter it does not under any circumstance wait to be "collected or scanned until several days later". Pre-paid bulk mail drop off is processed and sorted same day for distribution and then delivery. This is a process that operates around the clock and in larger and not so large metro regions weekends as well. I can think of no circumstance where bins of pre-paid mail are pushed to the side to be processed at a later date, especially "on several occasions".

We understand that USPS is not perfect and has it's shortcomings but my experience is telling me that something is not adding up in the case of Oleo Soapworks.

1 180
 02-12-2018, 11:04 AM
User Info
(02-12-2018, 10:58 AM)jazzman Wrote: Hi Vida!

As a recently retired Operations Supervisor at USPS I can assure you that when you drop off pre-paid mail at the counter it does not under any circumstance wait to be "collected or scanned until several days later". Pre-paid bulk mail drop off is processed and sorted same day for distribution and then delivery. This is a process that operates around the clock and in larger and not so large metro regions weekends as well. I can think of no circumstance where bins of pre-paid mail are pushed to the side to be processed at a later date, especially "on several occasions".

We understand that USPS is not perfect and has it's shortcomings but my experience is telling me that something is not adding up in the case of Oleo Soapworks.

I appreciate you weighing in Jazzman and I won't argue with your experience. However my experience is that on at least 3 ocassions I've dropped off mail at a blue box and not seen any updates to tracking until 2 business days later.  I look like a liar and there's nothing I can do about it. There are a LOT of posts online about packages not being and tracking not being updated. How soon after I drop off a package in a box or at a counter should I expect the tracking to be updated?

This morning 2/12/18 at 7:30 I left 4 First Class packages in a blue box in front of my local post office (they weren't open yet) and as of 1:09pm CST it still shows that the labels are printed but not in the system.

I've attached an image of another example a package that shows in transit to the OP and he got it weeks ago. Its the very soap he is reviewing in this thread.

[Image: 3bPtnW8.png]

0 4
 02-12-2018, 11:18 AM
User Info
Depending on Mail Class this is not unusual. First Class,  Ground-OTR (Over The Road) is is trackable with certain services and updated upon acceptance and scanning and after that updates after delivery. Priority Mail is trackable with many updates showing progress until final delivery. USPS tracking can be not as responsive as other carriers, this I admit. But I can still think of no instance that would cause the delays many of your customers are reporting.

It has always reflected poorly on USPS when people blamed us for delays and I remember about 5 years ago the powers that be weighing the option of not dating/time stamping Pre-Paid labels until sorting and scanning at the P.O.

1 180