01-22-2018, 07:52 PM
User Info
I thought about what my favourite fragrance brand was the other day and would like to hear what brand you think makes the overall best fragrances ?

I was always a Chanel fan, when I was younger, and Chanel would definitely be up there for me.
They make great designer fragrances and always have their own private label, also with high quality fragrances in that line.

But then I thought to myself: What brand do I own the most fragrances from, and do I actually think they have ever made a really poor bad fragrance ?
The answer to that Dior and NO, they have never made a really terrible fragrance, at least that I can think of.

Okay, Fahrenheit 32 I got rid of, but it wasn't terrible.
I'm a huge Fahrenheit fan, so smelling Fahrenheit 32 just made me almost gag, because it has very little to do with the original.

I own 15 fragrances from Chanel, 14 fragrance from Creed, 12 from Acqua di Parma, 17 from Bond No. 9, 10-12 from Hermés, 8-10 from Guerlain, 8 from Serge Lutens, 8 from Tom Ford, but I own a staggering 20 fragrances from Dior.
And I can't say any of the 20 fragrances I own from Dior are really bad or just average, they are all good to great.

So my number ONE fragrance house has to be: DIOR, a close number 2 would be Creed followed by Chanel as number 3.

Tom Ford, Amouage, Serge Lutens, CDG and Bond No.9 are my top niche fragrance houses after Creed.

What is your favourite fragrance brand ?

25 6,195
 01-22-2018, 09:04 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I am a big fan of Hermès, and would have to say that is my favorite.
But that's like asking your favorite song...it's impossible to have one.
You hit most of the big ones: Tom Ford, Creed, Guerlain, Acqua di Parma. I also like many Penhaligon's fragrances as well.

61 861
 01-22-2018, 09:10 PM
User Info
I wear Hermès somewhat daily, but Tom Ford when I want to express more sophistication. Both are great houses in my book.

29 1,361
 01-22-2018, 09:38 PM
User Info
(01-22-2018, 09:04 PM)greyhawk Wrote: I am a big fan of Hermès, and would have to say that is my favorite.
But that's like asking your favorite song...it's impossible to have one.
You hit most of the big ones: Tom Ford, Creed, Guerlain, Acqua di Parma. I also like many Penhaligon's fragrances as well.

Of course this is not easy, this is what makes it fun in my view.

But when I really thought about it, it was quite easy for me to say.

I took the brand, that I own most fragrances from, considered if any of my Dior fragrances were less than good to great and based on the level the make designer fragrances on, the answer was quite easy for me.

For instance the Dior Homme line, while not for everyone because they do smell a little like a lipsticky makeupbag while still being fantastic to wear for a man, at least 3 fragrances from that line would make all niche houses green with envy. Then take the Fahrenheit line, and also at least 3 fragrances from that line are totally capable of being high end niche, Fahrenheit arguably could be the greatest fragrance ever created or at least in the run for it in my opinion. Eau Sauvage is a classic, Eau Sauvage Parfum a thick niche like fragrance, that is just a masterpiece.
On top of that Dior has the Private label line, where one fragrance after the other are amazingly good made - Granville, Bois D'argent, Feuve Deli, etc.

I also think Hermès makes fantastic fragrances, and as said I own a great deal of their fragrances, but I can't really say all my Hermès frags are closer to great than just good to be honest.
Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum is really good, but Montale Red Vetyver beats it in my view.
I also own TDH EDT and the Fraicheur TDH and all are amazing, and also their private label Essence line is really good, but I can't say they beat Dior for consistent level of quality.

But Hermès is a fantastic fragrance brand, no doubt about it !!!

25 6,195
 01-23-2018, 04:26 AM
User Info
I would have to say Berberry of London or Curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 46
 01-23-2018, 04:43 AM
User Info
1-2 Creed - this time close winner
1-2 Guerlain
3 exGuerlain Smile Roja Dove - with some distance ...

All above mentioned fragrance houses focus just on fragrance/ cosmetics, not on fashion, jewellery, leather goods, sunglasses ...

6 301
 01-23-2018, 05:44 AM
User Info
Creed.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 113
 01-23-2018, 05:45 AM
User Info
Creed

14 576
 01-23-2018, 06:06 AM
  • gnoks
  • France
User Info
Acqua Di Parma

0 25
 01-23-2018, 08:21 AM
User Info
Niche: Amouage
Designer: Tom Ford

3 1,043
 01-23-2018, 12:14 PM
User Info
Jo Malone

43 718
 01-23-2018, 04:03 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
All great houses.

From my perspective really liking LeLabo - yes I know industrial but scents risky and not all derivative
Next up would be Pens - again the scents are not derivative to my nose and stand alone amongst each other
After that, at least with my experience, scents start carrying a heavy house resemblance - for example love Creed but they all can be ided as Creed even with having never encountered previously

1 163
 01-23-2018, 04:31 PM
User Info
(01-23-2018, 04:03 PM)DanLaw Wrote: All great houses.

From my perspective really liking LeLabo - yes I know industrial but scents risky and not all derivative

Le Labo is a also good. Some of the scents are simply mind blowing. Bergamot, noir etc.

Another niche worthy of mentioning is MFK, they make some amazing scents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,043
 01-23-2018, 06:00 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I’m quite fond of the Italians

Zegna
Villoresi
Forrester-Milano

171 1,512
 01-24-2018, 10:05 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Surprised that list Ron but respect your knowledge of frags

1 163
 01-24-2018, 10:00 PM
User Info
Update to my list.

Knowing I hate my own Top 10 lists, here they come, and I HATE these Top 10’s ;-)

Overall Top 10
1. Dior
2. Creed
3. Chanel
4. YSL
5. Amouage
6. Hermès
7. Guerlain
8. Serge Lutens
9. Bond No.9
10. Acqua Di Parma

Designer
1. DIOR
2. Chanel
3. Hermès
4. Guerlain
5. Tom Ford
6. Commes des garçon
7. Givenchy
8. Paco Rabanne
9. Dolce & Gabbana
10. Cartier

Niche
1. Creed
2. Amouage
3. Serge Lutens
3. Bond No.9
4. Acqua Di Parma
5. Xerjoff
6. Profumum Roma
7. Le Labo
8. Roja Dove
9. By Killian
10. MFK

25 6,195
 01-26-2018, 10:08 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Roja at bottom of niche category?  Surely I must possess the singular worst taste/nose in the world....

1 163
 01-26-2018, 09:55 PM
User Info
Having owned all  of the fragrances released by the main perfume houses since 1960 (I usually buy them by the gross, 144 of each size to allow for variation in top vs base note blend caused by the miniscule evaporation differences in the bottle) I've worn a different extremely high end frag every single day of my life for the past 50 years.  This life long persuit of only the finest, most exclusive, niche creations has helped me narrow it down to one single ultimate choice of signature scent.  I start each day with 467 sprays of Mennen Skin Bracer from my private collection of New Old Stock pre-reformulation (too much tonka bean in the dry down of the modern take on it).  So my vote goes to Colgate Palmolive.
[Image: SGSJLsv.jpg]

2 236
 01-26-2018, 09:57 PM
User Info
I also use Geo F. Trumper Eucris Cologne to switch it up now and then. Wink

2 236
 01-27-2018, 06:08 PM
User Info
(01-26-2018, 10:08 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Roja at bottom of niche category?  Surely I must possess the singular worst taste/nose in the world....

It's a Top 10 list, number 8 on a Top 10 list is very good.

Do you always look at a glass of water as half empty instead of half full ?

I don't rate Roja Dove fragrances higher than a number 8 spot on the niche list.
I don't like most oud fragrances, and Roja Dove's are no exception. He has made a very fine vetiver fragrance, that I own, but overall Roja Dove in my personal opinion is overrated, overpriced and overhyped.
Yet I still gave Roja Dove a number 8 spot on my niche list.

YMMV

25 6,195