01-26-2018, 09:02 AM
User Info
I have an annoyingly sensitive one side of my neck and have found through much trial the EJ89 as the closest possiblemild razor which my skin can handle and meets my requirements for a DFS shave.  

However, I am still on the search for something better...and yes I have already tried ALL the Techs.  

From reading, it appears the AS-D2 requires the perfect angle and the OneBlade has it's ups/downs with prepping Gem Blades if you don't like the feathers.

Can anyone speak from experience of using both which gives the more efficient shave considering that both are supposed to be on the milder end of the spectrum?

Separately, do any of these compare to the GEM Featherweight, Push Button or G Bar?  I have them on hand to try as they are supposed to be the mildest SE razors.

42 345
 01-26-2018, 09:39 AM
User Info
Hi, I have sensitive skin and used the EJ for a year or so. I wanted something which shaves closer and decided on the Mùhle Rocca.  It is a fine razor with a nice head and needs zero pressure to give a super close shave after 2 passes. Very seldom nicks me and my face has never felt better.

0 140
 01-26-2018, 10:05 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Seriously - have yet to encounter skin worse than mine combined with facial disfigurements - think Lincoln.  Hands down One Blade Genesis - V1 is far better than V2.  Gem blade is miraculous for smoothness combined with closeness v Feather and less expensive to boot - not that one buying such lives in penury, eh?

3 317
 01-26-2018, 10:13 AM
User Info
I would suggest at least trying a schick injector.  Anything above a G model would be fairly mild.

0 10
 01-26-2018, 11:52 AM
User Info
Never tried the feather as-d2, however I have owned all the techs, even the elusive Hybrid Tech. My favorite tech is the post-war tech because it holds the blade the tightest. I’ve heard the as-d2 is a tighter tolerance post war tech so I skipped the as-d2. Even with DE razors that hold the blade tight such as Timeless, Wolfman, post war tech, I still had some irritation on 1 part of my neck and under my chin. I’ve moved on from DE razors because the blades are too thin. I tried the one blade and found it too mild, I was able to shave very quickly with some practice. I didn’t like how the blades lasted only 2 shaves, sometimes a shave and a half. The only razors, for me, that provide DFS/BBS without irritation are Blacklands Sabre lvl 1 and 2 (lvl 1 takes 4 passes and lvl 2 takes 2.5 passes) and injector razors. My favorite injectors are E2,E3, G4 with schick injector blades and i1 and ebarbershop O clone with Japanese twin blades. These razors hold the blade extremely rigid and the thicker blade slices thru my stubble like butter! Side note, I started soaking my brushes in a mug with distilled water. Soft water makes ALL the difference!

14 256
 01-26-2018, 12:48 PM
User Info
I have them both and would recommend the OneBlade. It is a bit milder and the angle is built into the razor. Difficult to nick yourself with the OneBlade. I switch back and forth between these two often.

0 197
 01-26-2018, 06:03 PM
User Info
Pils is milder for me than the AS-D2.

60 1,345
 01-26-2018, 07:27 PM
User Info
Pils is definitely mild I agree with jackgoldman123 although pretty expensive. I would also recommend the Razorock series like the mamba, baby smooth or the MJ-90. The Wolfman guerrilla is pretty mild although a bit expensive...

Also, an adjustable razor might be the better option as they can range from super mild to fairly aggressive. Also try different razor blades like Rapira, Astra, perma-sharp... hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

28 236
 01-26-2018, 07:28 PM
User Info
This won’t help with your options, but ime a mid-aggresive razor helps a lot with sensitive skin. Less, very effective passes and reduced contact area. The best so far has been a str8 honed by a good honemeister. An adjustable like the mergress gives you all the spectrum Smile

9 1,459
 01-27-2018, 07:09 AM
  • Nero
User Info
Rockwell 6S on plate 3 or 4.

82 3,454
 01-27-2018, 04:50 PM
User Info
I have both razors that you mention and many others besides , including some that are mentioned in this thread. I have Timeless, Ikon, Muhle, Gillette, Razorock, ATT, Rockwell, Oristo, Gem Contour and Merkur safety razors. I also have very sensitive skin and the Oneblade is the only razor that gives me an irritation free shave. I’ve tried the Gem blades in the Oneblade but they are not as smooth or as sharp as the Feathers. The Feathers are only good for three shaves (I can get six shaves with the Gem blades) and are dearer than the Gem blades. There is one huge flaw with the Oneblade for me though; all my other razors are gathering dust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 145
 01-29-2018, 01:27 PM
User Info
(01-26-2018, 06:03 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Pils is milder for me than the AS-D2.

I agree with this.

3 1,936
 01-29-2018, 01:29 PM
User Info
Currently I'm using a Feather SS kamisori open-blade razor (shavette).  Learning curve is pretty steep (at least it was for me) but I think it's easier on the skin than any razor I've ever used.  

I have a straight that should be delivered today.  Over the next weeks to months I plan on finding out whether a straight is even better than the shavette.  Time will tell.

3 1,936
 02-01-2018, 01:19 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have sensitive skin and I got irritation with my Feather ASD2 when I had it. I switched to the ATT M2 and that did the trick. You can feel the blade with it, so it really helps you to find the optimal angle and pressure, or lack thereof. I also do well with other razors, but I find the common denominator to be blade feel. It might not work for you, but it might be worth trying.

3 640
 02-06-2018, 07:10 AM
  • jar
User Info
I terms of razors that give great results for sensitive skin there are a few out their I'd suggest.  One that really surprised me in the AC format is the Ocaam's Razor. I really expected very little yet found I got a really well made near bullet proof AC format razor that has the advantage of a range of heads to suit most any face.

Another safe area are the ATT razors.  You can get a variety form the least to downright scary aggressive razors in the DE, AC or GEM format.  Add in great customer support and a thirty day trial period means you are almost certain to find just what suits you best.

0 256
 02-23-2018, 02:13 PM
User Info
What a great thread. I use both razors.

My skin was so sensitive and beard so thick the asd2 was a game changer for me. I sold off all other razors at the time.

I also agree that the oneblade gives less irritation than the asd2. Most days I get zero irritation.

Sounds like I need to investigate PILS also.

2 84
 02-27-2018, 10:50 PM
User Info
OneBlade V1 with a Gem Blade. Try it and thank us later. It is the most forgiving razor you will ever use. I have seriously sensitive skin like AlabamaLawyer said he does and it’s no issue. It’s literally idiot proof. The only problem is finding one. Of course with anyone YMMV.

17 1,088
 02-28-2018, 04:56 AM
  • jar
User Info
I have both and get similar shaves from both. Go with whichever floats your boat.

0 256
 02-28-2018, 05:43 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I loved the Feather AS-D2, it's fit and finish and the general feel in my hands, but it lost the overall shave battle with my tough beard. The OneBlade Genesis, on the other hand, is magical, not only for its fit, finish an design, but also for the efficient and comfortable shave it gives me. So I would choose the OneBlade over the Feather.

As for the GEM razors, the Pushbutton is my favorite of the entire series. I think that is one of the sweetest vintage single edge razor I have used. It sits next to my Alumigoose II in comfort and efficiency.

178 3,690
 02-28-2018, 06:56 AM
User Info
Thanks for all the awesome feedback!

I have tried the GEM Featherweight for last 3 weeks and a Push Button this last week and they are burning me up hard core like no other razor except perhaps the Gillette New Improved and R41.     They are supposed to be the mildest of SE razors, but it appears for my sensitive neck they are still a few steps above in efficiency compared to even the mildest DE razor.   I have changed my technique to shorter strokes and all other guidelines recommended for using an SE, but my skin just isnt wanting to cooperate.  

After I have tried everything, worst case scenario I return back to the Tech/Mach 3 combo and woudl have enjoyed the ride.

42 345