01-27-2018, 08:44 AM
User Info
I've been using a Feather SS kamisori razor every day since December 30th and have a straight razor from Larry at Whipped Dog on my way to my house even as I type.  I'm kind of excited about starting this journey, so I come here every day to learn as much as I can, and then I'm disappointed that nobody is posting.  

Guys, there hasn't been a new post on this subforum for several days.  I'm wondering why that is?  Is it because very few guys at The Shave Nook use straights?  Just wondering.

3 1,821
 01-27-2018, 09:46 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Just a slow time of the year.  We have quite a few straight razor users as evident from the SOTD pictures being posted.  Give it time.

180 24,677
 01-27-2018, 10:33 AM
User Info
Lots of us here, I am betting guys like Jamie is busy honing and I am trying to clear some projects,I have going plus catching up on that t do list at home.

7 1,583
 01-27-2018, 11:54 AM
User Info
More introverts

8 1,359
 01-27-2018, 07:00 PM
User Info
Shave Nook is great just not for straights if we are going to be honest. No reason to rectify this, it is what it is. Am I bitter, not in the least. On the other hand I've learned heaps regarding brushes, soaps, fragrances. The BST is insane by the way, bar none, the best on the net.
No hard feelings this just isn't a good forum for exclusive straight users in my opinion.
~Royce

4 393
 01-28-2018, 03:53 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
It seems there are more DE users in general.

What were our concerns about using a straight?

87 1,556
 01-28-2018, 05:04 AM
User Info
(01-28-2018, 03:53 AM)Gabe Wrote: It seems there are more DE users in general.

What were our concerns about using a straight?

I would tend to agree, I only use straights but do use a vintage DE or SE on Sundays, there are still several here more than me that use straights, I know several are put off by using one as they are afraid of the upkeep but upkeep is fairly easy you just have to start off with a truly shave ready razor and leather strop and after a small learning curve the edge can be maintained for months with just a strop.

Also I know you have a concern about the straight razor subforum but what particular information are you looking for like what’s the best size, grind or tip type, are you interested in learning to hone or are you curious about strops.

I am not a seasoned guru on straights but have been using one for several years and what was once my favorite size for example is now my least favorite but still have a few 5/8” in my rotation.

7 1,583
 01-29-2018, 04:10 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I'm in the middle of a nightmarish remodel (dry rot, mold) at the house so my participation in most aspects is low and will be for the foreseeable future.  But I am still very much enjoying my morning shave, exclusively with a straight razor for over a year, reading others posts and looking at the beautiful pictures.  I look forward to being able to restore, hone and share my collection (which pales to many here) but am unable to do so currently.

155 2,878
 01-29-2018, 06:53 PM
User Info
Glad to see that people are still actively using straights.  

I got my first one in today's mail. I will try it out for the first time tomorrow morning. Wish me luck, although I don't think I'll need it much. I have been preparing by shaving with a feather ss shavette for the past 31 days.

I still plan on taking it really easy and perhaps just doing the cheeks tomorrow for my first attempt.

3 1,821
 01-30-2018, 02:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Good luck with that first straight shave.  I know when I could, I really enjoyed shaving with a straight razor.  Takes shaving to another new zen level.

180 24,677
 01-30-2018, 06:55 AM
User Info
I tried it out this morning.  30+ days of Feather SS shaving did not prepare me for what I felt/experienced.  The razor was much lighter, and the blade much less rigid (at least it felt that way) than I expected. 

I did two gingerly WTG passes on the cheeks and finished the shave with the Feather SS.  No cuts, no weepers, no irritation, so I guess I'll call it a win.  But I used a very shallow angle and very light pressure, and after two WTG passes the cheeks were slightly less clean than I usually get with one pass of the Feather SS.  

I'm OK with overly cautious given that it was my first time.  I am in no hurry whatsoever to slice my face to ribbons or to irritate my skin.  I will try again, day after day, with gentle passes on the simple parts first, and then gradually move toward more aggressive angles and shaving other parts of my stubble real estate.  

To my way of thinking, a bloodless first try is a successful first try.   Blush

3 1,821
 01-30-2018, 07:51 AM
User Info
I think you are on the right track and, more importantly, your approach is likely to minimize frustration; apparently one of the main reasons why wet-shavers give up on str8s. 
After initial hurdle str8 shaving is pure pleasure.

8 1,359
 01-30-2018, 08:49 AM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
(01-30-2018, 06:55 AM)kingfisher Wrote: I tried it out this morning.  30+ days of Feather SS shaving did not prepare me for what I felt/experienced.  The razor was much lighter, and the blade much less rigid (at least it felt that way) than I expected. 

I did two gingerly WTG passes on the cheeks and finished the shave with the Feather SS.  No cuts, no weepers, no irritation, so I guess I'll call it a win.  But I used a very shallow angle and very light pressure, and after two WTG passes the cheeks were slightly less clean than I usually get with one pass of the Feather SS.  

I'm OK with overly cautious given that it was my first time.  I am in no hurry whatsoever to slice my face to ribbons or to irritate my skin.  I will try again, day after day, with gentle passes on the simple parts first, and then gradually move toward more aggressive angles and shaving other parts of my stubble real estate.  

To my way of thinking, a bloodless first try is a successful first try.   Blush

If you can, take it slow. If I were to start again, I would do a single WTG pass for the first year. And I wouldn't touch my neck before my 15th shave.

The irritation that comes inevitably with rushing into a clean shave with SR is one of the reasons people who are already involved into this hobby (shaving) eventually give up SR shaving.

After my initial failure with SR, I tried the feather SS folding and found that Feather is easier to learn and use (for me). Now I enjoy both equally.

4 84
 01-30-2018, 02:06 PM
User Info
Congrats on your first shave, you are on the right track with light pressure and low angle like one-two spine widths is all you need and don’t forget good prep and proper stropping, general rule of thumb for using one is 100 shaves and your comfort and confidence will greatly improve.

7 1,583
 01-30-2018, 10:01 PM
User Info
Congrats, kingfisher. I'd second the notion of going extremely cautiously at first. I'm about 100 shaves in. At first, it was just one cheek, and the rest with a DE. Don't get discouraged-progress comes in unexpected spurts. One day, you realize you're comfortable using the non-dominant hand even though when you first did it, you may have wondered if you could ever shave that way.

One piece of advice I was given is that as soon as you feel uncomfortable at any point in the shave with the straight, put the razor down and stop. Finish with your regular razor and be done with it. Tomorrow is another day.

I'm impressed that you had good results with the Feather shavette-I found that much more unforgiving than the straight razors.

I find that I respect the razor, but no longer fear it. I've only had two minor nicks over the almost 100 shaves-both when the razor first hit the face.

29 816
 01-31-2018, 09:27 AM
User Info
Thanks, guys.  

I stropped 50 laps yesterday evening and it passed the HHT test. 

This morning for my second shave I followed Larry's Andreassen's advice, mainly because I was pressed for time, but now that I've done it I think it's good advice.  So I did the first pass WTG with my DE.  Then I did both cheeks WTG with the straight. 

Things could not have gone any better.  The sound still startles me, but cutting down the shorter stubble on a WTG pass was simple and comfortable, even on the left cheek using my non-dominant hand.  Once I completed the WTG on each cheek I put the razor down and finished the shave with the DE. 

Completely comfortable, no weepers, no razor burn or irritation at all.  I may stick with DE for the first pass for a week or so, just to get the feel of what it's like to have the razor right against the skin removing stubble smoothly and comfortably, and then expand from there.  I am in no hurry to master this thing.  I was very pleased with this morning's shave; much more so than after yesterday's foray.

3 1,821
 01-31-2018, 05:15 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
You are off to a great start.

87 1,556
 01-31-2018, 06:19 PM
User Info
Sliced my cheek today pretty good.  Sad thing was i usedy straight for one pass with no issues. Did the damage with a DE... I guess it can happen anytime.

4 49
 01-31-2018, 07:49 PM
User Info
I actually struggle more with DE/SE razors now that I use a straight, I still use a vintage DE or SE on Sundays but that’s it the rest of the time is a straight

7 1,583
 02-01-2018, 10:14 AM
User Info
I have three live tv appearances for this evening, so I briefly thought about leaving the straight razor learning for another day, but ultimately I succumbed to its siren call.  

Did the same thing as yesterday; very cautious approach.  DE WTG one pass, then straight razor WTG on each cheek, finished the shave with the DE.  All went well. 

No tv tomorrow, and more time in the morning to get ready, so I'm going to try omitting the first DE pass and doing two WTG passes on the cheeks with the straight razor.  This morning was only my 3rd try.  I'm OK with slow and steady.  

By the way I used Stirling peach for this morning's lather.  It was perfect.

3 1,821