05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
User Info
I too think the str8 works best for my skin. I sometimes I touch up with a safety in a couple places. Great tool!

9 1,466
 06-04-2018, 09:44 AM
User Info
95/132 today. 

Went to Maryland's Eastern Shore for a "wedding weekend."  Left on Friday in the mid-morning; got back yesterday evening at about 7:00 p.m.  Took no shave gear with me except for a tube of I Coloniali cream and a metal Atra.  Had two shaves while away with that set-up: one at the sink and one in the shower.  All things considered, the shaves were not horrible, but I was looking forward to a real shave, which I got today. 

Used the Noonan.  Decided to go back to the dregs of a puck of Obsessive Soap Perfectionist in the Fougere scent.  Did two passes all over and then a bit of clean-up.  Still off work so no need for perfection. 

The OSP soap lathered up great and shaved OK, but I don't like it as well as my Soapy Science, Stirling, and Mike's.  The shave went pretty well but was vaguely unsatisfying.  My wife was next to me, spraying her hair and so forth, and it was quite distracting.  When I placed the razor down to rinse between passes she was reaching for stuff near the blade and I thought she was going to cut herself.  I kept reminding her that there was a sharp blade sitting right there and asking her to please be careful.  

The shave actually went pretty well, with just a tiny bit of irritation.  I'm trying to make the second pass on the cheeks more efficient so I don't have to do a third pass.  I went a bit MORE XTG and a bit LESS second WTG in order to accomplish that.  It seemed to work while still being easy and comfortable.  I'm going to continue working on that and see where it leads me.  

Have a great day, everybody. 

3 1,936
 06-06-2018, 10:50 AM
User Info
97/134 today.

Mowed the lawn and did some other work outside on the yard, then showered and shaved.  Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus provided a great lather.  Used the Noonan for two passes and then did a bit of touch-up.  

Everything went well except for one area just above the corner of the lip on the right side.  This area is proving very difficult.  I tried putting my tongue in there to flatten the area, but all I got out of it was irritation.  I just can't seem to get the stubble there very well. Same problem on the left side, but not quite as bad, and I'm not sure why.  

All other areas were irritation free.  Overall, a good shave, but not my best. 

Have a good day, gents. 

3 1,936
 06-07-2018, 01:57 PM
User Info
98/135 today.  

Another early afternoon shave (gotta love vacation, lol).  First time I've done a straight razor shave without a shower first.  I lathered up some What the Puck? in the orange scent, put some kind of haphazardly on my face, then held a hot washcloth over it for about 30 seconds, and then did that again.  

After that I lathered up completely and went to it with the ZY razor.  Two passes plus a bit of touch-up yielded a nice shave.  It's not really close, but it's close enough for vacation! 

Oh, and by the way, I got another 9 holes in yesterday evening at a gorgeous course in Suffolk.  (Cost me $22 for the nine holes, and that was the twilight rate, just so you know that the $17 was a special deal.)  

Hope you have had a great day.  

3 1,936
 06-09-2018, 06:50 AM
User Info
Drum roll, please.  This morning was straight razor shave number 100 (count 'em, one hundred!), and open blade shave number 137.  

I thought it only fitting for shave number 100 to use the razor that got me my first "Brut shave" (for those who don't recall, I received a tiny sample of Brut with my first straight from Whipped Dog, and decided to bust it out the first time I got to CCS with the straight). The razor in question?  The same lowly ZY from yesterday.  

I also decided to stick with the same soap today, just because I enjoyed it so much yesterday, so I went with Soapy Science is My Special Blend!  (By the way, Josh, glad to hear that you like the scent, too!) 

Anyway, on to the shave.  Since I have been shaving in the afternoon but this morning I shaved at about 9 a.m., there wasn't a boatload of stubble.  I loaded up the brush with some DSB and whipped up an awesome, fragrant lather.  First pass went really well.  SWMBO was at the sink next to me, and she made no comments at all except to mimic the scraping noise of the straight razor about halfway through my second pass.  (Obviously, the sound of the straight is a lot different from that of a DE.)  

Anyway, second pass went really well and I only had a tiny bit of clean-up along the jawline with my English flat-bottom Tech outfitted with a fresh new Posilver blade.  

Final outcome?  CCS+ to DFS, without any irritation whatsoever.  A rousing success. 

Thanks to all of you who encouraged me along the way.  I never thought I would make it to 100.  There was a time, about in the mid-20s or so, that I came very close to throwing in the towel, selling or binning my straights, and cursing the whole thing as a big mistake.  Thanks to my stubbornness and your awesome encouragement, I made it to 100 instead.  And I am enjoying it a great deal. 

There was also a time that I thought my wife might force me to quit, but now she is completely accepting.  

Have a great day, gents!   

3 1,936
 06-09-2018, 08:19 AM
User Info
Randall, you have done an ecxcellent job posting your journey and as I said and will continue to say there is no magic voodoo in using a straight it’s just got to be honed correctly and you have proved that a $10 ZY razor can shave just as well as a more expensive one, congrats again and keep up the straight shaving it only gets better and easier to do, just remember to get the edge touched up before it gets dull and that can be accomplished very easily.

7 1,631
 06-09-2018, 08:43 AM
User Info
Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience.

9 1,466
 06-17-2018, 06:44 AM
User Info
Their at the ER getting stitches (just kidding). Good luck and happy dad's day (if you qualify).

0 135
 06-30-2018, 03:07 PM
User Info
I have spent the last several days reading this entire thread and I would like to express my sincere gratitude to @kingfisher for taking the time to document his experience. It has been highly enlightening.

I've been using SE razors exclusively for several years and have recently been bitten by the straight razor bug. I've gotten fairly competent with a Feather AC SS and now have a dozen or so shaves in with "real" straights. It has been daunting, to say the least, but now I know exactly what to expect.

--Bob

0 187
 07-01-2018, 07:30 AM
User Info
Bob, 

Thank you for commenting.  I haven't posted in a while.  I think there comes a point when it is no longer particularly helpful.  I had my 117th straight razor shave yesterday, and am continuing to shave with a straight razor 6 days a week.  Sundays are for DE or SE; this morning I used a beautiful British Raised Flat Bottom NEW and had a fine shave.  But I've kind of decided, at least for now, that the straight razor is actually a better shaving implement than any of my DEs.  Not ready to sell them off just yet, but I am really starting to enjoy shaving with the straight, after a rough start (as you know, since you read the thread).  

I'm really happy that it was useful to you.

3 1,936
 08-31-2018, 09:03 AM
User Info
Just a really quick update.  This morning I completed my 200th open blade shave (my first one was on December 30st of 2017).  

Still enjoying the process.  I've become fairly proficient, although I noticed that I've hit a plateau, and there are several areas that I'd like to improve.  I'll probably try to push myself a little harder into new approaches to those areas, a little at a time.

3 1,936
 08-31-2018, 06:32 PM
User Info
Congrats for sticking with it, Kingfisher! I'm a few shaves ahead of you, and like you, still have some areas of improvement, most notably the chin area.

30 901
 09-01-2018, 03:36 AM
User Info
Nice to see new guys sticking with it and really learning the art.  I have been using a straight exclusively for several years now, with the exception of traveling and I now have my brother hooked on them as well.  He has two little boys who watch him intently as he, or I (when i'm visiting) shave with one and they are in awe.  One day they will get passed along one or two from my small collection.

1 52
 10-24-2018, 09:01 AM
User Info
Reached 200 straight razor shaves (not counting shavette shaves) two days ago; had straight shave number 201 this morning.

Still enjoying it.  I plan on mixing DE and SE shaves back in, but I suspect I will still be using a straight for the majority of my shaves.  Not only is it more fun, but I think that overall it is gentler on the skin.  Thanks to everybody for all the encouragement, pointers, and help.

3 1,936
 10-25-2018, 02:40 AM
User Info
Randall,

Glad to see your still using a straight and glad to see the ZY is doing it’s job, I pretty much use a straight all the time with the occasional DE/SE razor on Sunday but for me it’s straights.

7 1,631