02-01-2018, 03:10 PM
User Info
Kingfisher it’s more intimidating than it really is, don’t get me wrong a straight is very unforgiving when it comes to cuts as I have had some pretty hefty cuts during my first few months but if you are persistent and use one everyday it will become second nature.

7 1,603
 02-01-2018, 08:23 PM
User Info
Where can we see you?

9 1,396
 02-02-2018, 09:28 AM
User Info
(02-01-2018, 08:23 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Where can we see you?

I was only on local TV.  I live in the Tidewater area of Virginia.  

Now that I think about it, though, there may be some interviews up on the internet.  http://www.13newsnow.com/news/health/lur.../508235223

If that link works, that's one of my appearances.

3 1,861
 02-02-2018, 09:31 AM
User Info
So your a Doctor ?

7 1,603
 02-02-2018, 09:34 AM
User Info
Shave number 4.  Used Obsessive Soap Perfectionist in the Fougere scent.  Almost finished with this puck and no more OSP to be had, since James closed up shop. 

Went two passes XTG on both cheeks and then did a tiny bit of XTG on the left cheek before finishing the shave with the Feather SS kamisori.  I think I may have dulled the blade when I accidentally turned the blade over the edge instead of the spine during stropping one day.  It feels sharp and thin but on the other hand seems too dull to shave very well.  I wish the blade were thicker (it's a full hollow).  I'm used to the feel of the Feather, which is much more solid than this razor.  

I thought maybe stropping some more would fix any dullness I may have introduced by improperly stropping, but it seems like it is not cutting well.  Even when I first got it, it failed the HHT with MY hair, but passed with my wife's hair (hair recovered from our brushes, not pulled off the head, lol).  Is it a bad sign that even at its sharpest it didn't want to cut my hair?  Maybe the razor would work better on my wife? 

Should I try to sharpen it a bit by stropping on chromium oxide and iron oxide before tonight's stropping?  (I got the paddle strop from Larry so it has CrOx and FeOx sides.)  Or would I be likely to screw it up even more?  

Oh, and finally, my wife really doesn't like this venture at all.  This morning she was asking me why I didn't just leave well enough alone (she was and is supportive of DEs, SEs, shaving soap, and brush lathering).

3 1,861
 02-02-2018, 09:36 AM
User Info
(02-02-2018, 09:31 AM)Panther308 Wrote: So your a Doctor ?

Yes.  I'm subspecialized in Pediatric Infectious Diseases.  Wrote a textbook, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Moffets-Pediatric...all+fisher

3 1,861
 02-03-2018, 02:12 PM
User Info
Shave 5 this morning.  Touched up the edge last night with 20 CrOx laps, 20 FeOx laps, and 40 on the leather.  

Did two WTG passes on the left cheek with the straight; on the right I did a DE pass first and then the second pass with the straight, in order to make a comparison.  Closeness was about the same.  No irritation or cuts on either side.  Finished the shave with DE.  

Generally speaking, this was much better and I am less discouraged than before.  The blade was much, much sharper and quite a bit more efficient today after I touched it up last night.  I think I had rolled the edge a bit with errant stropping.  

Onward and upward, one shave at a time.

3 1,861
 02-03-2018, 05:08 PM
User Info
Kingfisher,

It’s very possible you rolled the edge so no harm in trying the pasted strops, i think you will find the CrOX to put on a smoother edge than the FeOx but it’s a matter of preference.

Your surly won’t do any more harm if the edge has been rolled and possible you can bring the edge back just depends on how bad it possibly rolled, not sure what Larry’s policy is for rehoning but if there is a cost you could just send to me and I would reset the bevel and rehone for just the cost of shipping to and from me.

7 1,603
 02-03-2018, 05:39 PM
User Info
William, 

i appreciate the offer.  This morning's shave was much better, so I think the touch-up did the trick, at least for now.  I will keep you in mind if I do something stupid again.  Thanks.

3 1,861
 02-05-2018, 07:36 AM
User Info
Shave number 6 this morning.  Two WTG passes on each cheek; went well.  Getting more facile with the razor.  Still had to do an XTG with the DE for a decent shave, but was SAS at worst with the straight. 

Also attempted a second WTG on my chin with the straight which also went pretty well.  One small weeper but otherwise no problems.  

My new plan is that whenever I add a new area (chin, mustache, neck) I will, at least for the first few days, do a WTG with the DE first, and then do a WTG with the straight.  That way I can work on angles, how to hold the razor for new places, and so on without having to worry about really effective beard reduction.  Then, once I get the angles down, move on to two WTG passes.  

I'm still not sure whether this is a worthwhile endeavor for the long run, but for now I am dedicated to attempting to gain enough skill to find out for myself whether this way of shaving offers any material advantage over my other methods.  

Thanks for your support and pointers so far.

3 1,861
 02-05-2018, 10:24 AM
User Info
Straight shaving is all muscle memory. That comes pretty quick after a while. Once you get that first complete shave you’ll progress rapidly. I have been straight shaving for 40 years. The only tips I have are:

Work on your stropping. A hanging stop is best. Don’t ignore stropping on linen. You can keep a razor shaving for 100’s of shaves once you get good technique.

Lather. Wetter the better and work in for a minute or two. A softer beard cuts easier and preserves your edge.

Moisturize after every shave. It helps heal your face and leads to less irritation if you shave daily.

Once you are shaving competently work in techniques like scything and slides to really nail those problem areas on the neck and chin.

Stick with one razor and soap for at least a month. This makes you focus on technique instead of trying to start from scratch every couple days. Different razors require different angles and different soaps require different amounts of water to get a great wet lather.

Stretch, stretch, stretch. The flatter and tighter the skin the the easier it is it get a smooth shave and less nicks

Hope this helps

3 813
 02-05-2018, 10:48 AM
User Info
SteelTown,  thanks. 

Why have you been shaving with a straight for 40 years?  What advantage does a straight provide?  

For now I am stuck with a paddle strop and I have no linen side.  Two identical leather sides, and two sides for touching up the edge (CrOx and FeOx).  I have to make due with this for now and I don't have other options.  Any pointers on how to make this work best?  

I only have one razor, so I'll definitely be sticking with that.  I have about 3 soaps, and have been making my own lathers 360+ days a year since about April of 2009, so I have a lot of experience with lathering.  Do you still think I should stick with one soap?  I can make identical lather from multiple different soaps.  I have been experimenting slightly with the wetness of the lather and how it works with the razor.  

Thanks again.

3 1,861
 02-05-2018, 12:36 PM
User Info
Straights were used by my father and grandfather. My grandfather was a razor grinder for Genco then Case. It was what I was taught.

A paddle strop is fine if that is all you have. If you stick with it you should move to a hanging strop when finances and interest allow.

Just stick with the leather if one side is nappy then use that post shave to dry the edge. Use the FeOx if it feels like it is tugging. If FeOx does not bring it back then move to CrOx. 10 laps should be sufficient. You can make a linen strop out of old worn denim if your handy. That works and many resources can be found on the web

I suggest sticking with one soap. It allows you to dial in your lather and removes more variables from your shave.

What does a straight provide? Probably nothing. I do feel the shave lasts longer because your final pass can be done flat to the face and your stubble feels less sharp and apparent since it’s not cut at an angle and is less pointy. If that makes sense. Also it is more economical if you don’t get RAD. A straight will last you most of your shaving life if cared for properly. For me it gives me a connection to the men in my family and carries on a tradition. That’s a more personal reason and may not apply for you

3 813
 02-05-2018, 03:36 PM
User Info
I struggled for the first several months but then it got easier and easier, I can usually shave in the same amount of time it takes me to shave with a DE or SE razor, I currently just do to passes WTG and a combo of ATG and XTG and call it good, i gave up chasing that BBS long ago and just shoot for a DFS as it’s not worth having that BBS for a few hours.

The biggest things I tell new ST8 users is preshave prep and paitience along with proper angle and care of the edge is paramount, it does not take a huge investment to keep a properly honed razor going for many many months with just a strop but if stropping is done incorrectly it can ruin an edge in pretty short order so that’s why 8 wanted to learn to hone but for the first several months of using I tried several shave ready edges from several sources and found the edge I liked and started chasing that and have been pleased with what I get.

There is no secret voodoo in using a straight other than take your time and using light pressure and a low angle and if the razor is honed properly it will do it’s job but starting up it may have to be honed more often due to the learning curve that usually results in killing the edge.

7 1,603
 02-05-2018, 03:45 PM
User Info
Another tip is the razor should always be in motion. That sounds crazy but you should start the stroke before the blade is on your face. I have seen so many beginners give them self a good slice by placing the razor on their face or stopping the stroke with the razor still on their face.

Proper stroke control becomes habit after a while and you’ll notice yourself doing it as your experience grows.

Placing the blade statically on your face just takes one tiny lateral movement of the blade or downward pressure to cause a cut or nick.

3 813
 02-05-2018, 07:05 PM
User Info
(02-02-2018, 09:36 AM)kingfisher Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 09:31 AM)Panther308 Wrote: So your a Doctor ?

Yes.  I'm subspecialized in Pediatric Infectious Diseases.  Wrote a textbook, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Moffets-Pediatric...all+fisher

Very interesting. I'm sure they cut important parts of the interview. Well shaved and no signs of cuts, irritation nor stubble on the video Smile 
On the flu and other health related matters, its surprising how some need the "wash your hands" reminders. At work is not uncommon to see a visitor rushing in and out of the rest room without washing their hands. To think that to others access to water and sanitation is the limitation ...

9 1,396
 02-05-2018, 07:39 PM
User Info
With only a few hundred str8 shaves, I don't intend to challenge SteelTown or any other of the most experienced str8 shavers but, ime, str8 shaving gives me a more comfortable shave, once you get everything figured out. I've been wetshaving for more than 5 years with DEs and SEs including injectors, AC style razors (Rx pass-around which I happen to hold now) and GEM style razors. Nothing has given me the shave of a str8. I get very enjoyable shaves with different razors, perfect BBS. But nothing like the final rinse after a str8 shave. To me its just superior in terms of comfort. Its like I just exfoliated my face with one of the lady's facial products she likes me to use every once in a while, with the additional benefit of no hairs standing. 

I still don't get the best shaves every time, but I like working on it. 

BTW, I got a Geneva Pyramid a few days ago. It looked almost NOS, never sharpened. I cleaned it and sharped it. An American razor from early 1900's. And its giving me pretty good shaves too. Ah, the sense of accomplishment. Another plus to str8s.

9 1,396
 02-06-2018, 05:30 AM
User Info
lloydrm Wrote: BTW, I got a Geneva Pyramid a few days ago. It looked almost NOS, never sharpened. I cleaned it and sharped it. An American razor from early 1900's. And its giving me pretty good shaves too. Ah, the sense of accomplishment. Another plus to str8s.

Nice razor. Personally I find the New York razor manufacturers pre and post WW2 we’re putting out the best razors made. They might not have the fancy etchings, scales etc and were usually no bigger then 6/8 but were better shavers then their overseas counterparts

3 813
 02-06-2018, 07:51 AM
User Info
Shave 7 this morning.  Did a bit more than yesterday, and it went well for the most part.

Two passes WTG on each cheek, followed by a bit of XTG on the front of each cheek (a place where I do XTG ear to nose).  I used the left hand for the right side and the right hand for the left side.  Only problem was the danged scales getting in the way, so I just straightened them out and used the razor like an overly long kamisori, which seemed to work fine.  

I also did a second WTG pass on my chin without any problems. 

I did get a very, very small nick (no blood), but it was on my EAR on the left side.  Second time that's happened.  I cannot seem to tell where the point is, especially on the left, and the point of this razor is ridiculously sharp.  I guess you get a feel for where the point is over time as you get more experience?  

Anyway, overall a pretty nice shave.  No nicks, no cuts, no weepers on the parts of my face I was actually shaving, lol.  Each day I feel a bit more confident, I guess.  Little by little.  I plan on continuing what I'm doing each day for a while, expanding a bit here and there if things are going well.  Maybe after 10 or 15 shaves I'll begin to attempt some work on the neck, perhaps a second WTG pass first, and then go from there.  I have all year to learn this, and I'm only one week in.  Smile

3 1,861
 02-06-2018, 08:08 AM
User Info
(02-05-2018, 10:24 AM)SteelTown Wrote: Straight shaving is all muscle memory. That comes pretty quick after a while. Once you get that first complete shave you’ll progress rapidly. I have been straight shaving for 40 years. The only tips I have are:

Work on your stropping. A hanging stop is best. Don’t ignore stropping on linen. You can keep a razor shaving for 100’s of shaves once you get good technique.

Lather. Wetter the better and work in for a minute or two. A softer beard cuts easier and preserves your edge.

Moisturize after every shave. It helps heal your face and leads to less irritation if you shave daily.

Once you are shaving competently work in techniques like scything and slides to really nail those problem areas on the neck and chin.

Stick with one razor and soap for at least a month. This makes you focus on technique instead of trying to start from scratch every couple days. Different razors require different angles and different soaps require different amounts of water to get a great wet lather.

Stretch, stretch, stretch. The flatter and tighter the skin the the easier it is it get a smooth shave and less nicks

Hope this helps

Steeltown! This is fantastic advice.

I'm a beginner SR shaver, just over 100 shaves in, but 40 years plus with traditional DE/brush wet shaving. 

I'm at the point where I'm much more confident in shaving with a straight, and it seems rather natural now. The next 100 shaves are devoted to getting from a really good shave to BBS. After 3 passes with a straight, I do very minimal touch up with either a DE or SE to get that super close feel. Not necessary, I suppose, but it feels good, and I can get there with no irritation, so why not.

To that end, I've got a few questions, if I may:

Why do you prefer a hanging strop? I've got a couple of them and a Mastro Livi loom, and I find the loom a bit easier to manage. I'll use the linen side of my hanging strop first, and then either the leather side, or the loom strop.

How do you know when you've stropped a razor correctly? 

Lastly, what do you mean by scything and sliding. Sliding as in a 'Gillette slide'? Can one use these on the chin and jawline?

Thanks for the great posts!

29 843