02-21-2018, 07:30 AM
User Info
Thinking about giving it up after the 20th shave, this morning.  Touched it up on the balsa last night and it was plenty sharp.  Really sharp.  

Two passes WTG on each cheek went OK, as did the chin.  Neck was a nightmare again, especially a small area just below the chin on the right side, despite going even shallower.  Tugging, stinging, trying to skip, etc.  

Switched to the Feather SS kamisori and it handled the same patch just fine.  At first there was a bit of resistance but then it just plowed through.  It's almost like the straight doesn't have enough structural integrity to get through that stubble.  I was able to do the whole neck with the Feather SS without much trouble.  Almost felt like I was shaving with a DE, it was so comparatively easy.  

I did pick up the straight again for an XTG pass on each cheek, which went OK, but again did not feel as good as if I were to do it with the Feather SS.  

The whole experience this morning just made me wonder why I am doing it.  I can already get outstanding shaves with DE, SE, and AC-type razors, and even the Feather SS!  I have plenty of DE blades, SE blades, and I have a pack of Schick Prolines, too.  

Remind me, what is the potential benefit of the old-school straight razor?   I mean other than that it looks cool?  If I persist and learn how to shave really well with the straight, is it going to offer me any benefits in terms of skin care or closeness of shave or something?

2 1,655
 02-21-2018, 07:46 AM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
(02-21-2018, 07:30 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Remind me, what is the potential benefit of the old-school straight razor?   I mean other than that it looks cool?  If I persist and learn how to shave really well with the straight, is it going to offer me any benefits in terms of skin care or closeness of shave or something?

I am not an expert, but I can shave with a SR. There is no potential benefit. It is just another thing. I had those (still sometimes do) rough shaves as well. But the allure of acquiring a cool skill for life is what kept me going. I can get an irritation free, smooth DFS with a straight - but I can do that with DE, SE, Feather AC etc. as well.

As they often say (it might sound boastful and hollow), it is about the journey, but not the destination.

4 68
 02-21-2018, 05:49 PM
User Info
Once you refine your technique. You’ll never have to worry about your favorite razor or favorite blade being discontinued. You’ll also get just as good a shave as with any other equipment, at least for me, with fewer passes and touch ups. Your razor may need a tune up. That’s the problem starting with straights. Your edge degrades faster when you are learning and can lead to frustration.

3 779
 02-22-2018, 07:44 AM
User Info
Shave 21.  Hopped back up onto the horse, but more cautiously this time.  

For today's shave I decided to do the entire shave WTG with one of my Techs first.  Then I attempted the entire shave WTG with the straight.  This included all areas:  cheeks, chin, mustache area, and neck.  It went pretty well.  With the bulk of the stubble gone, I was able to think about angles, using different parts of the blade, and different ways of stretching for getting the neck shaved.  I still had one place where I aborted, but I did pretty well the rest of the way.  

I think I will stick with this approach for the next few shaves, at least, hoping to get better angles, etc. on the difficult spots before I go back to trying to do them on a first pass, where resistance is greater.

2 1,655
 Yesterday, 07:58 AM
User Info
Shave 22 this morning. Still doing first pass WTG with something other than the straight.  This morning it was the Feather SS on the right cheek and a Bullet Tip Micromatic with a fresh GEM blade on the left.  That first pass with the Feather SS was remarkably close!  The experience shaving with the straight razor has really made my Feather SS skills much better.  After one pass I could have stopped, but I wanted to practice.  

Did a second pass all over face and neck with the straight razor, XTG on the right cheek (no point in a second WTG as the stubble was virtually gone after one pass with the SS), WTG everywhere else.  Did pretty well.  No nicks, no cuts, no weepers.  

At the end I attempted an ATG on the left cheek with the SS.  I have never before done an ATG at any time with any razor.  Ever.  I have no idea why I tried it this morning.  No cuts, but a couple of hours afterward I do notice a bit of irritation there that I don't have anywhere else from this morning's shave.  

Still working on it.  The razor is definitely sharp enough.  It seems to me that the trouble is that it is not STOUT enough.  Maybe a half-hollow from the outset would have made me a happier camper?  Maybe at the end of all this I'll end up settling on the Feather SS?  Time will tell.  For now I'm soldiering on.

2 1,655
 3 hours ago
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Razor burn from a straight is typically caused by too much pressure and/or too high an angle - possibly a degraded edge. Too high of an angle can also degrade the edge more quickly.

All this stuff you learn when you begin shaving with a straight razor, so you're doing well. Keep up the good work and congrats! I'm glad to help if I can.

Cheers, Steve

7 561
 1 hour ago
User Info
(3 hours ago)Steve56 Wrote: Razor burn from a straight is typically caused by too much pressure and/or too high an angle - possibly a degraded edge. Too high of an angle can also degrade the edge more quickly.

All this stuff you learn when you begin shaving with a straight razor, so you're doing well. Keep up the good work and congrats! I'm glad to help if I can.

Cheers, Steve

When you say "too high" you mean too steep?  Like having the scales too far away from your face?

2 1,655
 41 minutes ago
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
When the blade is nearly flat on your face (spine touching your face, like on a hone) the shave will be the mildest. As you raise the spine away from your skin, the angle of course increases and so does exfoliation. Too much exfoliation is razor burn.

Cheers, Steve

7 561