01-29-2018, 10:53 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I used to own the Stella Alpina in the 4.3 formula, but the scent was a bit too strong for me and while I did like it generally, there was one note that kinda stung the nostril a bit and that was still after keeping the soap open to air for over half a year... probably more like ten months.

Anyway, just wondering how the 4.3 Felce Aromatica performs and smells, compared to the original 4.0 Felce Aromatica.
Thanks!

BTW, I'll know in a couple days, as I just ordered it from Phil.
As always, lightning fast order handling. I ordered Sunday night and I received my tracking an hour later. That's service![Image: 33f57afd08121cc9582c9d27f45e6489.jpg]

64 3,141
 01-29-2018, 11:18 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I had the original b4.0 SV-FA when it was first released.  Loved the scent, hated the face-feel (sold it after two uses).
The new b4.3 SV-FA has that same great scent but the face-feel is vastly improved, at least for me.

48 1,989
 01-29-2018, 12:15 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
agree with Erik - same superb scent and much more nurturing and moisturizing.

113 1,612
 01-29-2018, 01:06 PM
User Info
(01-29-2018, 10:53 AM)Nero Wrote: I used to own the Stella Alpina in the 4.2 formula, but the scent was a bit too strong for me and while I did like it generally, there was one note that kinda stung the nostril a bit and that was still after keeping the soap open to air for over half a year... probably more like ten months.

Anyway, just wondering how the 4.3 Felce Aromatica performs and smells, compared to the original 4.0 Felce Aromatica.
Thanks!

Nero, in regards to performance of Felce 4.0 and 4.3, I think you will like the improvements to the newer offering I found it to be quicker to assemble (less thirsty than some of the 4.1 and 4.2 formulas), and found improved face feel of the lather during the shave and better post shave. It isn't the thickest lather that SV has come out with but that is not to say that it contains unique properties. 

If the included fern in the ingredients is what my skin feels, I would compare it to the feeling of using Tundra Artica. They both give the skin a clean, refreshed, and calm feeling just from the lather. Using the matching aftershaves help as well. Smile

In terms of smell, I can see how the scent of Stella Alpina may come across strong or as you said, one particular note. I had a similar experience with using Felce 4.0 and Manna 4.0. I am not 100% positive but those both had a similar underlying scent that I chalked up to be the natural smell of the rapeseed oil not being masked in the base formula. 

The newer Felce and Manna 4.3 come across more pleasant and aromatic without the underlying off putting smell. One other note though. I have not experienced this with other soap companies that I can think of but I will plant the seed. In my experience using the SV soaps, there have been a few soaps, like Flying Mango (version 1), Stella Alpina, and Cosmo, which I think have developed or settled into more balanced scents. I don't know if it is the soaps interaction with water through repeated use and/or a combo of the triple milled process. But now I reserve judgement of performance with the first 4-5 shaves as I let the soap surface get broken in and then I should have more consistent results with the lather.

Let us know how your first shaves go using the new 4.3. If you have any other questions, let me know.

82 1,426
 01-29-2018, 01:18 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(01-29-2018, 12:15 PM)ARGH Wrote: agree with Erik - same superb scent and much more nurturing and moisturizing.

I agree with what ARGH and Erik have stated

52 518
 01-29-2018, 06:52 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
One of my favorite scents, and the Beta 4.3 is a significant improvement.

38 5,302
 01-29-2018, 07:53 PM
User Info
SV included some aftershave trials in my last order, and of those - felce aromatica, and dolomiti were wonderful standouts in terms of scent.

29 1,298
 01-30-2018, 07:55 AM
User Info
I honestly can't tell a difference from all the versions. I have several, and they all lather, shave and post the same to me.

24 668
 01-30-2018, 09:32 AM
User Info
All the different SV soaps I have are excellent performers. They all lather really well, fantastic scents and provide a nice close shave. The new 4.3 sounds great especially if there is a noticeable improvement in post shave.

How is the strength of the scent on this?

0 183
 01-30-2018, 10:31 AM
User Info
(01-30-2018, 09:32 AM)bennett Wrote: How is the strength of the scent on this?

On a scale 1-10, 1 weak and 10 strong, I would say 7.

82 1,426
 02-04-2018, 06:29 PM
User Info
I love strong scents in my shaving soap and aftershaves/cologne.  If anyone ever wants to trade a tin of Felce or Manna 4.0 for something I might have, please contact me by PM.

1 30
 02-11-2018, 07:31 PM
User Info
Finally got a tub of this in, along with a small sample of the beta 4.3 version of Manna di Sicilia. I've previously owned the Felce v4.0, and a couple others in 4.1. I wasn't too impressed with the performance of them for the price, and ended up selling them off. This Felce 4.3 feels like a much better soap, at least using my hard water. It builds a huge lather easier, and the post-shave face feel is incredible. I found both the 4.0 and 4.1 to leave my face pretty dry, even during the more humid months. 

I also have a tub of the Asylum/SV Flying Mango collaboration in the 4.3 formula. I bought that because of their claim that the extra mango butter lends itself to a better post shave feel. After having both and using them back to back, I would say that their claim may be true, but only by a slight margin. The soap itself isn't anywhere near as hard as the Felce, so I really don't expect it to have the longevity that the Felce should have. The scent on the Flying Mango isn't really doing for me, but it becomes nonexistent as soon as you lather. Same thing with the Manna 4.3 sample I got: amazing scent off the puck, but was scentless by the time the lather was built. The Felce is definitely the powerhouse scent in the lineup still. Could anyone comment on whether or not the fleeting Manna scent was based on having a small samples shaved off a larger puck, or if it really is that light?

Based on the incredible performance I'm getting from these two beta 4.3 soaps, I just ordered a Mirto di Sardegna Beta 4.3 soap and aftershave combo (less than $54 shipped from Top of The Chain in Canada - they just started offering free shipping to the US at $60CAD purchases, so this is the cheapest price I've seen yet for an SV combo). I'm really looking forward to checking out the new scent and seeing how this one stacks up against the others.

8 90